Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 08:18   #46

Boat: Cal 29 mk2
Re: What cordless Vac to use aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Try before you buy (I didn't!); many are just about useless.
I bought a good brand name 14v Li cordless recently; wouldn't suck a fly off the wall. Took it back to Bunnings (big Aussie hardware chain) and they gave my money back without even looking in the box.

Rgds
Good store policy !
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:28   #47

Boat: Hylas 47

I got a Dyson combo unit at Costco - mechanically it is outstanding with a great floor attachment and nice handheld configuration, easy and quick to clean. Too expensive of course. However, it is fairly weak even at the max suction setting, and on that setting the battery only lasts about 15 minutes. And this is in like new state, I don’t know how long it will last. The comments on the AC Home Depot wet/dry bucket vac sound good to me, I will check it out.
k.grant.palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:56   #48

Boat: Switch 51 #10

We bought a car vacuum cleaner for $12 about 12 years ago. It is still working well despite living aboard. The battery never failed because there is no battery. I replaced the power cable with a longer and thicker one.

We also have a domestic one aboard but only use that one during refits.It is too much of a hassle.
You'll find car vacuum cleaners for very little money on Alibaba.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:14   #49

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I generally agree about battery powered tools versus electric. Just run the inverter. That said I bought a Black and Decker Lithium two years ago and it works great.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:20   #50

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Dyson at (land-based) home, hands down. $400+ buy it at Costco.

On the boat, 18V Ryobi. Works great with other tools, battery charges in 30 mins. Cheapest prices (on the actual tools) we found are at HD and Lowe's, not online. Great to have lights, fans, spotlight and many other tools powered off the same battery. Buy those at Amazon, such as this.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 13:21   #51

Boat: Lagoon 39

We use the:

BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Flex Cordless Stick Vacuum with Floor Head and Pet Hair Brush (BDH2020FLFH)

Works great...have not had any issues with it.
Scott Tudury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 14:34   #52

Boat: Cal 2-46

I took an old detachable unit Which used about 12 volts where the rechargeable batteries had died. Removed the batteries and connect a 10 metres flex and suitable plug for the 12 volt system. Work terrifically and no battery worries.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 15:29   #53

Boat: Swanson 38

I have a Makita that works well, along with all the other tools/torches etc., batteries are probably 5 years old and still going strong, they get a lot of use as I use them at work. Also Makita make a battery charger that plugs into 12v cigarette lighter fitting so you don't need invertrer/AC to charge
jazzgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 16:12   #54

I have been disappointed with cordless vacs. Dyson units are possibly an exception, but are very expensive. The lifetime of battery operated vacs is limited by the battery and you have to remember to keep the battery charged. I have an AC inverter on my boat so I decided on a Bissell Featherweight which is similar in size to battery powered units when configured as a hand held vac and compact for stprage. The suction power is exceptional and it is easily cleaned. It consumes about 350Watts. The price in Australia is just $99.00. Highly recommended for boat vacuum cleaner.
cndcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 17:42   #55

I have tried most of those cheap garbage versions out there. So as a FYI do not bother with them. The premise of buy once cry once is absolutely at work here.
Check out the Dyson car and boat handheld. I have had mine for 3 years and it is excellent. Make sure you order the 12v car charger and you are golden for all of your boat needs.
This model runs $239 + car charger.
SVClownshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 17:55   #56

Boat: A55

Thing bigger than vacuum here unless you’ve already got a good cordless tool system. First off, the Makita 18v LXT battery system is unreal. Batteries charge fast, have and maintain great capacity and last forever. I’ve got some batteries that are 10 years old and still going strong. Their tool system is great and reasonably priced. Excellent brushless drill/drivers and impact drivers, saber saw, sanders and, along the lines of this thread, a real vacuum!I think the bare tool vacuum is under $70 on Amazon, in a kit with a battery and charger it’s probably $125. But the move is buy a drill/driver and impact driver kit with two batteries and a charger, all for about $200 and then buy the bare tool for the rest of your tools. The kit batteries will be two amp hour batteries, get a couple four or five amp hour batteries as well and you will have the right tools for a lifetime.

The vacuum has a really nice wide, swiveling head on a stick to it works great for sand on hard surfaces and indoor/outdoor type carpet. Pull the stick part away from the vacuum body and you have a foot and a half long handheld vacuum that will do great duty in tight spaces. My wife loves ours even more than I do.
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 18:14   #57

Screw cordless!

Over 30 years in the construction business, I have learned that some tools are worthless as cordless.

Go to your local Walmart, buy their HyperTough 1 gal wet/dry vac.

If you are so finicky about the sand, dust and other infiltrating things that get on a boat, sell it and buy a nice cottage.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 21:35   #58

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Screw cordless!

Over 30 years in the construction business, I have learned that some tools are worthless as cordless.

Go to your local Walmart, buy their HyperTough 1 gal wet/dry vac.

If you are so finicky about the sand, dust and other infiltrating things that get on a boat, sell it and buy a nice cottage.

Bark bark, time for the pills
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 06:03   #59

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

One of the good things to come out of the EU recently was, apparently, a ruling that mains powered vacs would have to be lower wattage, I THINK, sub 1 KW.

As a result some brand like Nilfysk are now producing mains powered vacs of around 600 Watts. I have one, and it is quite brilliant. Sure, not as much suck as my old 2400 watt GE, but the thing is, the inverter and battery bank barely crack a sweat running it.

I’ve yet to try a cordless that didn’t... er... suck... that is to say... DID suck. You know what I mean. And I’ve tried quite a few, some of which cost more than my car. (It’s a cheap car)
Old 13-06-2020, 09:43   #60

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
I have an old B and D 12v corded car vac with reusable bag that are no longer available with one attachment and it works well. It came with the boat.

I think I have the same and it works well