Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2022, 07:20   #1

Boat: Heavenly Twins/ Hurley 22
What boat ?

Hi you all,

I'm looking for my ideal boat, as I guess we all are. I have two boats currently a Hurley 22 mono and a Heavenly Twins 26 cat, both great sea going boats in any conditions.
However I'm semi retired now and want something a bit more comfortable.
Here's the main must have's I would ideally like :

Good Headroom in saloon and galley (I'm 6ft)
Max length 35ft or less
Sailing speeds of 15 knots safely attainable
Excellent sea going ability in all weathers
Mainly Coastal cruising with offshore capability
Beachable or shallow draft.
Cockpit protection
Singlehanded Capable

I know 35ft is considered small these days but I don't need a bigger boat Any Ideas ?
Big Baws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 10:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What boat ?

Well a mono is out so...
What is your budget for a catamaran or tri..
Do question your verdict on HT's however..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 10:17   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: What boat ?

All but the beachable sure.
33 Hunter 34 Hanse 34 ,37 Jeanneau
Catalina long list, C&C (shop for diesel )
36 Beneteau. Anywhere from 15,000-?240,000.
1999 37 Jeanneau 2 Cabin 50-70 K made in USA. Lots out there. The Hunter 33 won some awards much bigger boats competed for. The Hanse 34 is big bucks cause they are a newer model I think are dolls. The Beneteau 36 has a lot of product in the market. They out sold most boats in history.
If you have the budget for a Hanse I’d look at the Jeanneau equal I think the Jeanneau 380 is not much over 35’ waterline and LOA 37.9. so don’t get locked on size and get a Dinghy to beach the boat
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 10:22   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Baws View Post
Max length 35ft or less
Excellent sea going ability in all weathers
:whistlin g:

Old 13-08-2022, 11:17   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Big Baws welcome to CF and I hope that you enjoy becoming a member. It would help I am sure if you completed your profile.

And as Boatie suggested above, giving a few bones to the dog would really help to get decent answers in response to your quest. Just knowing where you are based makes a big difference to the makes of yachts more generally available. Where are you planning to sail, maybe high latitudes, do you want to race her, use as a diving platform, or just a live aboard getting slowly older and grumpier? And OK you say more comfortable but what level of comfort?

15 knots suggests a stinky power boat to me or a really big boat. Not too many yachts go that fast.

And that big bone of da budget. If it were me, and if I had the money I'd be on my way to La Rochelle, France for my visit around Alubat to order my new Ovni 37 pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ovni 37 Beached.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	262783  
Old 13-08-2022, 12:11   #6

What are you gonna do with this vessel? Are you just gonna mess about in the firth, or are you gonna brave the North Sea? You speak of off-shore. Have you been in the Forties, in Fisher or in Cromarty when Boreas comes down from Iceland howling like a thousand demented banshees?

You will know already, I'm sure, that if we confine the discussion to monohulls, then a typical 36 footer like, say, a Westerly, which would give you headroom, will have a LWL of, say, 30 feet and therefore a maximum theoretical speed of just under half of what you specify!

Such a boat you can get for moderate money.

If you wish to buy a 36 foot catamaran in which the accommodations may give you headroom in some places but not in others, and in which the accommodations will be quite cramped and IMO not suitable for the prevailing weathers in the firth or in the North Sea, catamarans being more appropriate for where the coconuts grow, you'll have to cough up considerably more lucre.

Is there even a marina in the firth that would welcome a catamaran? I should think there might be a hefty surcharge :-)!

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 15:10   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Hi you all,

Max length 35ft or less

Let pretty much lets out most of the suggestions made thus far. What's the rush?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 20:53   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Let pretty much lets out most of the suggestions made thus far. What's the rush?

I’m not even certain that a mono foiler under 35 ft is going to maintain 15kts
That’s a pretty tall order and not cheap
Old 16-08-2022, 12:34   #9

Quote:
Well a mono is out so...
What is your budget for a catamaran or tri..
Do question your verdict on HT's however..
Boatman61

Well I've not ruled out mono's as drop keels would allow for shallow water.
Old 16-08-2022, 12:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
All but the beachable sure.
33 Hunter 34 Hanse 34 ,37 Jeanneau
Catalina long list, C&C (shop for diesel )
36 Beneteau. Anywhere from 15,000-?240,000.
1999 37 Jeanneau 2 Cabin 50-70 K made in USA. Lots out there. The Hunter 33 won some awards much bigger boats competed for. The Hanse 34 is big bucks cause they are a newer model I think are dolls. The Beneteau 36 has a lot of product in the market. They out sold most boats in history.
If you have the budget for a Hanse I’d look at the Jeanneau equal I think the Jeanneau 380 is not much over 35’ waterline and LOA 37.9. so don’t get locked on size and get a Dinghy to beach the boat
Hi Rumrace are any of these boats drop keel ?
Old 16-08-2022, 12:51   #11

[QUOTE=grantmc;3666767]Big Baws welcome to CF and I hope that you enjoy becoming a member. It would help I am sure if you completed your profile.

And as Boatie suggested above, giving a few bones to the dog would really help to get decent answers in response to your quest. Just knowing where you are based makes a big difference to the makes of yachts more generally available. Where are you planning to sail, maybe high latitudes, do you want to race her, use as a diving platform, or just a live aboard getting slowly older and grumpier? And OK you say more comfortable but what level of comfort?
15 knots suggests a stinky power boat to me or a really big boat. Not too many yachts go that fast.

Hi Grant, I sail locally in Scotland off the west coast, North Atlantic, have sailed in the North Sea as well. I may wish to sail to the med, not intrested in racing too much, but happy to live aboard and get older and grumpier definitely don't want a stinky powerboat, do need a protected cockpit as weather can be pretty wet here in Scotland especially here in the west coast. I like the look of that Ovni how fast can it go?
Old 16-08-2022, 13:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
What are you gonna do with this vessel? Are you just gonna mess about in the firth, or are you gonna brave the North Sea? You speak of off-shore. Have you been in the Forties, in Fisher or in Cromarty when Boreas comes down from Iceland howling like a thousand demented banshees?

You will know already, I'm sure, that if we confine the discussion to monohulls, then a typical 36 footer like, say, a Westerly, which would give you headroom, will have a LWL of, say, 30 feet and therefore a maximum theoretical speed of just under half of what you specify!

Such a boat you can get for moderate money.

If you wish to buy a 36 foot catamaran in which the accommodations may give you headroom in some places but not in others, and in which the accommodations will be quite cramped and IMO not suitable for the prevailing weathers in the firth or in the North Sea, catamarans being more appropriate for where the coconuts grow, you'll have to cough up considerably more lucre.

Is there even a marina in the firth that would welcome a catamaran? I should think there might be a hefty surcharge :-)!

Cheers

TrentePieds
Hi TrentePieds I take it you mean "The Firth of Forth". There is quite a few catamarans at the clubs and the Marina in the Firth Of Forth. However most of the clubs find Monohulls ain't suitable as they fall over from thier moorings when the tide goes out. My H22 did but always popped back up when the tide came in again no bother at all.
I don't agree with your statement that Cats ain't suitable for the North Sea. The HT 26 was the smallest catamaran to complete a true circumnavigation of the globe Alan Butler in 1986.
Old 16-08-2022, 13:32   #13

[QUOTE=TrentePieds;3666773]

Just to give you the info check this out 26 foot catamaran :

https://htcca.co.uk/ht-experiences/
Old 16-08-2022, 14:35   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Big Baws welcome to CF and I hope that you enjoy becoming a member. It would help I am sure if you completed your profile.

Hi Grant, I sail locally in Scotland off the west coast, North Atlantic, have sailed in the North Sea as well. I may wish to sail to the med, not interested in racing too much, but happy to live aboard and get older and grumpier definitely don't want a stinky powerboat, do need a protected cockpit as weather can be pretty wet here in Scotland especially here in the west coast. I like the look of that Ovni how fast can it go?
Not exactly sure what a new one would cost; there are many options. But here's one for sale at €318,000 EUR.
Maybe we could share? I can do the €18,000 if you could do the other €3

Not sure of the speed but I'd expect a cruising speed of +7 knots.
Old 16-08-2022, 14:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What boat ?

Quote:
Boatman61

Well I've not ruled out mono's as drop keels would allow for shallow water.
But they'll only do 1/2 your desired speed..
Check out Southerly Yachts.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat