Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 12:35   #31

Re: What are the regular tasks you do on your boat?

Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, think about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, watch others go sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, dream about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, service engines, think about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, watch others go sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, check rigging, think about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, clean ropes, think about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, clean sails, dream about sailing.
Clean boat, polish some stainless, make a list of jobs I should do, polish hull, watch others go sailing.

I know I am doing something wrong but cannot put my finger on it.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:08   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

A good one that probably seems second-nature to a lot of people is just taking a good walk around the decks every few days/times you go out. I have a steel boat, so I have to check to see if any paint has chipped so I can touch it up as I go, but it's also for looking at your pins and rings on the rigging and lifelines, chafe in any of your docklines or running rigging, etc. That's also a good time to check your safety equipment- take out the lifesling every once in a while, make sure your lifejackets haven't disintegrated, etc. Making a designated schedule for "deep cleaning" certain things might be good- like a galley deep-clean once a week, a head deep-clean once a week, etc. Opening and closing seacocks is a good one, and also forces me to check the state of the thru-hulls. Bilges every day- I also have to remember to check some low points in my boat that are inaccessible/don't drain into other bilges, like the casing around my pro-shaft. Doesn't get water in it very often, but when it does, it just sits there until I sponge it out. The boat I used to work on checked engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, sea strainer, and shaft key twice a day (there's a story behind checking the shaft key); that's probably not necessary, but not a bad habit. Sea strainers are a big one I often forget, especially for my A/C. Taking cushions out and airing them in the sun once a year is a good call. But then a lot of stuff is really "as-needed"- service the winches when they feel sticky, etc.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:12   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

Oh another good one is cleaning things that are removable but that you don't remove very often, like grates on the floor of showers, stovetops, the bottom of the icebox, the back of the pantry, etc. And designating a regular schedule to clean walls and ceilings just keeps things smelling good and keeps the mildew away.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:06   #34
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I use a high tech way of keeping track of stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	227971  
Old 01-12-2020, 12:09   #35

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I know I am doing something wrong but cannot put my finger on it.

I think that if you go and do a few chores around the boat, it might come to you. Eventually.

Oh, and by the way, I see that there are some dull spots on your dingy davits that could use a little polishing...
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:23   #36

Thanks everybody for all the input (and jokes), really good stuff. I'm a whiteboard list kind of person, but I figure it will be fun writing this kind of thing. I'll update the thread once I get further along, thanks for all of the ideas!
bloodypirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat