Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2015, 09:35   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Whale Stories- Recent /for you nay sayers.

Magnificent creatures and live to hear them signing, chortle, squeak, low bass vibratos. Fishing on a charter boat for a week in the Glacier Bay with my Dad before he passed was something I will never forget. Every afternoon while we waited for the tides to change the skipper wool drop the mike into the water and we would listen to dozens of whale's conversations. Fascinating, so graceful , and so powerful dinizens of the King Neotune. Love them.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:27   #17

I think whales are more oblivious to boats more than we like to imagine. Breaching humpbacks land on kayaks , sailboats etc. I've sailed with a group of whales all around me and they seemed oblivious to me. We just happened to be going the same direction. I've had near collisions with a Killer whale when we approached head on after sighting him a couple miles ahead. He never changed course and we passed maybe 6 feet apart. Whales are T boned by freighters. The evidence to me indicates they don't even know or care we are around much of the time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:36   #18

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

One time off Cape Breton we were surrounded by 6-10 whales - I think they were Minke. They stayed with us for an hour or so, not much breeze so we were ghosting along. One by one they would approach and roll on their side with one eye up to look at us, then descend. In a minute or so - another. I was elated and terrified at the same time. The fact I couldn't catch my breath meant either I was gob smacked or having a cardiac event. I was in a 36' boat (blue bottom so I guess I was safe). Now, years later I can look at that event with one thought in mind:

"Thank God I'm not Swedish".
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:38   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
There was an interesting thread earlier about hull colour and whale collisions.
Condensed version; to whales, the colour red looks like a school of fish or patch of krill. They're not seeing your hull as a solid object.
Solution; blue bottom paint.

Interesting to see what colour the Swedes' bottom paint was.

goat
We have blue bottom paint and we hit a whale in 2008 (video here

However, the whale didn't attack us -- we just both ended up at the same place at the same time.

I've known a few boats who have hit or been hit by whales. Damage ranged from none, to sinking. It's usually humpbacks or sperm whales, but we've had close encounters with other types too. I recall one evening ghosting along by the Farallon Islands (24 miles offshore from San Francisco), when we were surrounded by humpbacks. We could hear and smell them breathing, and every so often one would come alongside and spyhop to take a close look at us.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 11:48   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Maybe pay-back for some of their relatives having a huge metal spear shot into them by idiots????
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 11:53   #21

Boat: Shopping

I've wondered before if keeping your depth sounder turned on might disperse whales in your path.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 12:12   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I've wondered before if keeping your depth sounder turned on might disperse whales in your path.
I've also wondered about that, but in my case the sounder was turned on. We were sailing fast, too, so we were making plenty of noise as we moved through the swells.

I could conjecture that the whales don't take any special action when they hear noises that don't match the significant things in their lives: other whales and their prey.

In 2014 I finally heard whales in the water! We were getting close to Hawaii and I was belowdeck, when I heard this strange squeaking sound. I started searching for this new sound, opening cupboards, etc, but I couldn't find the source. Then one of the on-deck crew shouted "Whales!", and we saw a few small whales pacing our boat and getting quite close (within a few feet). I couldn't identify them, but they were much larger than the dolphins we often see. They stayed with us for about ten minutes, and continued to squeak to each other the whole time.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 12:41   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Leaving aside the fact that I guess they have to sleep sometime hence the ship strikes.....

Last trip I had maybe four close encounters of the Fin kind including the one below which played ( more like practiced his torpedo runs... not for nothing are they called the Greyhound of the Sea) with us for about two hours....that included maintaining station below and behind (about a foot off the rudder ) for minutes at a time just because he could.
The others involved fast passes from astern about half a metre off the side and one that matched boat speed v close to port and then went down and under to come up equally close to starboard.
I've also had a big orca leave a small pod of young orca to come over and check out the boat. Same same with two adult dolphins that came out of a feeding pod including young ones to inspect me in my little Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's balanced out by the millions of other million to one events which haven't happened. It's just that you never here about them
I think that's neither hear nor their...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3266.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	110069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3268.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	110070  

Name:	DSC_3303.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	110071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3267.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	110072  

Old 27-09-2015, 14:01   #24

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

A couple of weeks ago while going into Province Town, MA I had a huge fin whale surface about 50 feet off my beam and blow. We had just taken our sails down and it had started to rain so visibility wasn't so hot. A few seconds later I noticed another group about 100 yards or so off the starboard bow just as the sounded. Since they appeared to be coming towards us perpendicular to our course I popped the engines out of gear. About 30 seconds later three fin whales surfaced directly in front of the boat. I threw the boat into full throttle reverse and got it stopped just short of the largest one which I'm estimating was 70 feet. I was guessing 4 feet away, but my wife, who was on the bow, said 10 feet. The whales gave no hint that they even noticed two screaming engines 40 feet away. I do know that from my point of view 1/2 of the back of that whale disappeared under my bow. My initial reaction was "Holy S@&t" followed almost immediately by "how Cool". The front 1/3 of my cat barely draws any water at all and most certainly would have ridden right up on that whale's back if I had not gotten the boat stopped. I would not have wanted to test the whales response to that happening. If was my fist time seeing Fins up close and it was an awesome experience. This year was the best whale watching year we've ever had. We probably saw at least 100 Between Province Town an Maine.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 17:57   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
"There was an interesting thread earlier about hull colour and whale collisions.
Condensed version; to whales, the colour red looks like a school of fish or patch of krill. They're not seeing your hull as a solid object.
Solution; blue bottom paint.

Interesting to see what colour the Swedes' bottom paint was."

That is very logical. It's too bad since I like the red bottom with a blue hull. I guess I'll keep the red bottom on the coastal boats and use blue for the boat I am sailing on extended trips!

How about this combo? As long as there are no red & gray whales around we should be OK. GO BLUE!

I hope to never hit one but I have often thought our encapsulated keel & skeg mounted rudder would be a bit tougher than a fin keel & cantilevered spade rudder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1498 ex.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	110088  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 19:00   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayy View Post
2 boats in the same yard in the south pacific getting repairs for whale damage. Some of you armchair sailors have insinuated that this is a 1 in a million chance? What is your answer if any?
I'm confused: what nay is it that you think we are saying?? What is the question that we are maybe gonna answer?? Help us out a bit somedayy, and we (or at least I) will try to work out an answer or say a yea or nay as required.

Jim
Old 27-09-2015, 19:08   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
How about this combo? As long as there are no red & gray whales around we should be OK. GO BLUE!

I hope to never hit one but I have often thought our encapsulated keel & skeg mounted rudder would be a bit tougher than a fin keel & cantilevered spade rudder.
I wouldn't have thought whales were a problem in Michigan....

I don't think I would choose blue... to great a risk of a randy Blue Whale getting a bit too friendly...
Old 27-09-2015, 19:49   #28

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Recall a solo sailor on a 32' who pulled into Coffs Harbour white and shaking. Reckoned he had been chased in by one over-enthusiastic whale for several miles from South Solitary Island. I can believe it, having them cavort around me on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:45   #29

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I wouldn't have thought whales were a problem in Michigan....

I don't think I would choose blue... to great a risk of a randy Blue Whale getting a bit too friendly...
Well, OP is from Loss Vegas, probably even less of a whale problem. Yeah, I spelled it right.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 21:29   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I thought whales only see light and dark shading, no color perception.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote