Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 18:17   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Wet Decks - Buy or Fly?

I've seen some great boats at give away prices due to rotten decks including a Krogen, Tayana, Cabo Rico & even a Hans Christian. In fact I'd say a large percentage of the boats out there have some water intrusion in the decks. If they can be repaired relatively easily & economically using this method it could save a lot of boats & a bunch of people a whole lot of money.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 18:35   #32

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I've seen some great boats at give away prices due to rotten decks including a Krogen, Tayana, Cabo Rico & even a Hans Christian. In fact I'd say a large percentage of the boats out there have some water intrusion in the decks. If they can be repaired relatively easily & economically using this method it could save a lot of boats & a bunch of people a whole lot of money.
I guess that time will tell. I wouldn't trust it just yet though. Not on a valuable boat anyway. But if it really does work over a period of many years then it will make some older boats easier to restore. Their website says that moisture meters have no reading after the treatment, or something like that.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 04:35   #33

Boat: Aloha 32

There is a thread on the BoatDesign forum about Injectadeck. One person claims he was the inventor. What is lacking with this product is physical proof - unbiased testing, cutaways showing penetration, etc.

There's no doubt any product that actually worked like Injectadeck claims to work would be a godsend to old or neglected fiberglass boats. Question is, is this stuff that product?
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 04:44   #34

The fiberglass guy got back to me. First thing he said is overall the glass on the boat is in great shape. He tap tested the deck and found only that one area bad. Price is $1,400. For another $1,500 he'd paint the smooth sections of the deck to hide the repair. Certainly not so costly as to cause a buyer to fly.

He added the boat is a great candidate for a full paint job. "It would look brand new." I've seen pics of his work, start to finish, and am impressed.
Old 26-03-2019, 04:53   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So factor say $5-7000 into your decision process.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 07:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
There is a thread on the BoatDesign forum about Injectadeck. One person claims he was the inventor. What is lacking with this product is physical proof - unbiased testing, cutaways showing penetration, etc.

There's no doubt any product that actually worked like Injectadeck claims to work would be a godsend to old or neglected fiberglass boats. Question is, is this stuff that product?
That is the question. I'd love to at least here some anecdotal evidence. I try to bring this stuff up on every thread about wet cores & so far nobody has tried it. I think the perfect candidate would be someone looking to sell a boat with this problem. It would also be good for someone who's known about a specific leak for a while but doesn't want to tear up their deck.

I actually had to re-core my bow due to a leaking windlass that I wasn't aware of till it was too late. I did the work myself & it turned out great but what a pain in the butt! I sure don't want to go through that again.
Old 26-03-2019, 09:10   #37

No doubt real world testing of Injectadeck would be helpful but based on what the inventor said the stuff is flying off the shelves. Now if we could get a hold of the people who bought it and used it....
Old 26-03-2019, 10:14   #38
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

where's Practical Sailor when you need them :-)
Old 26-03-2019, 14:08   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So lots of people using it, but too embarrassed to report the (lack of) result

would be my guess
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 15:09   #40

YouTube
“Sail Life”
Deck core replacement episodes
to see what’s involved for a Diy’er
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12   #41

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I bought a lovely old Yankee 30 some years ago that had some wet decks, especially around the stanchion bases. Using techniques I'd learned working in a boat yard (filling voids in cold molded new construction) I removed all the hardware from the boat and scraped out all the soft, rotten wood I could reach with dental tools and a vacuum cleaner. I then drilled holes in the deck (though not 1/4 inch) through the top layer of fiberglass. After letting the boat sit for several weeks under cover to, hopefully dry out, I simply injected penetrating epoxy (I may have used Git Rot) using syringes that were made for injecting epoxy. I did a sand/deck paint later with 2 part Perfection paint. I can tell you that the old girl ended up with strong decks. I sailed her pretty hard for about 9 years afterwards, including an International Yacht Race with winds up to 40 knots. She was strong as an ox, and I felt very comfortable in that boat. When I gave up ocean racing due to nerve damage in my neck, I sold the boat for thousands more than I paid for it (which was not all that much), and the same surveyor who had found the wet decks when I bought her was the same guy who surveyed the boat at sale time. He found the decks SOLID and firm, and valued the same boat (he'd not even recognized it) at just about twice the price he'd given it 9 years earlier. I'd use this new product (Inject a Deck) in a heartbeat if I didn't have the coin or time to do a 'proper' recore. On an older boat, I am not sure that is often cost effective, and I was quite satisfied with my experiment on my boat. Worked for me, and I think Inject-a-Deck makes even more sense.....2 cents, please...
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39   #42

Boat: Bavaria 35 Exclusive

A number of years ago I had a 1974 Caribbean 35, a Sparkman & Stephens designed 35 foot motorsailer built by Chris Craft. I was in love with her as it was comfortable inside and safe to sail even in rough weather conditions, with a hull strong as a rock. I have had the same problem to the deck and decided to have it repaired.
They did cut the entire deck outside skin, removed the old balsa core, replaced it with closed cell foam panels and glued the skin back using vacuum technology. Result was perfect, but it costed me 16,000 € (equivalent to approx. 20,000 US$) in 2004
Hence it all depends how much you like the boat and what is the real saving over market price. Atb.
Kinpa_1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12   #43

Boat: Bayfield 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
I've got a guy out there today to give an estimate on fixing the decks. But I was just curious to see how others react to running into wet decks.

I think it was Don Casey who said wet decks scare off many buyers, unjustifiably so. Maybe it's just another skill to learn.
I was just going to mention Don Casey. There was an article in Sail magazine recently about this very topic.
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:19   #44

Moisture meter on my boat says the decks are on the left side (only) of the boat. There's no soft spots. The hammer test does sound more hollow. I'm not too concerned because the fiberglass is so thick on these old decks, but I will probably test out injectadeck to see how it works. I was considering either that solution or to drill it out and fill with epoxy.

The stanchions are not mounted on cored sections of the deck and are solid. Mast area was actually replaced by a PO and a test there showed foam core and dry.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Moisture meter on my boat says the decks are on the left side (only) of the boat. There's no soft spots. The hammer test does sound more hollow. I'm not too concerned because the fiberglass is so thick on these old decks, but I will probably test out injectadeck to see how it works. I was considering either that solution or to drill it out and fill with epoxy.

The stanchions are not mounted on cored sections of the deck and are solid. Mast area was actually replaced by a PO and a test there showed foam core and dry.
Injecting epoxy into a wet core is pointless. Epoxy is a great product but it does not react well to moisture & will never stick to anything wet. I've used CPES & it will soak into wood but the wood has to be dry. The only way to get a wet core dry is to completely open it up.

Tags
deck