Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 05:20   #1

Boat: S&S Loki Yawl 38'
Westerbeke used parts needed

Hello. I am looking for some parts for a W60 /WPDS 20 Westerbeke. These parts I understand are N/A new but I am hoping that someone out there has a used source. Here is the wish list: 2- injector hold down bolts., 1 - degree plate for timing. A spare fw water pump. A spare stock mechanical fuel pump, or parts to rebuild the old one. I know it's an older engine but the compression test gave stock readings and the engine runs great. Thanks for any help, James
Lokiyawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 06:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Westerbeke used parts needed

Who told you they weren't available? Westerbeke is pretty good at supporting older units; which dealer are you working with? If you post the part numbers I (or someone) can double check availability...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Who told you they weren't available? Westerbeke is pretty good at supporting older units; which dealer are you working with? If you post the part numbers I (or someone) can double check availability...
Scott,

Thanks for any help on this. I have tried Marine Diesel Direct on these parts. I was able to get a superseded fuel pump, however the inlet and outlet ports are reversed which means I would need to replace the original ridged fuel piping. There is a repair kit listed for the original pump which is #14660. The parts list show a "stud nozzle holder" in the head section which I believe are the injector hold down studs, the part number shown is #17584. I cannot find a part number for the degree plate.

James
Old 27-07-2015, 18:29   #4

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

What is the base engine? Westerbeke used several Perkins blocks (Older) as well as Mitsubishi (on the newer engines.) The base engine parts should be available.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
What is the base engine? Westerbeke used several Perkins blocks (Older) as well as Mitsubishi (on the newer engines.) The base engine parts should be available.
Hello,

This engine is 40+ years old and listed as a W60/ WPDS-20. I am not sure how to determine what the base engine might be but that is a good idea.

James
Old 27-07-2015, 18:44   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

My first guess would be 4-236 Perkins which is an English truck block. It was about 60 HP. Someone will chime in with some info. Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia might be able to help.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:19   #7

Boat: 38 Down Easter

For bolts and such try Fastenal. They were able to get almost all bolts, so we did not have to order from diesel place.$$$$$ Trans Atlantic could get most of the rest.
atraitees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:35   #8

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Find a Perkins dealer. I have a 1976 4-107 and use pacific Perkins in Vancouver Washington. I just bought 5 oil filters $5 ea sand they shipped them to me for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

West coast distributor is TDC in Huntington Beach California. Although I have gotten parts for my WB 42b from Vetus and a Texas Kubota tractor dealer. Mine is a 1997
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

OK, ditto on Trans Atlantic Diesel (say hi to Sherry); also, try Engines1 Westerbeke, Diesel Engines, Diesel Generators, Gas generators, Marine Generators, Air Conditioning

you're getting good advice and I'd agree that the block is probably a P236

S
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
My first guess would be 4-236 Perkins which is an English truck block. It was about 60 HP. Someone will chime in with some info. Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia might be able to help.
Thanks for the tip on Trans Atlantic Diesel, will give them a try! James
Old 28-07-2015, 10:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraitees View Post
For bolts and such try Fastenal. They were able to get almost all bolts, so we did not have to order from diesel place.$$$$$ Trans Atlantic could get most of the rest.
I called the fastener used to secure the injectors on the W60 a bolt, but actually is an odd stud with coarse threads into the head and fine (possibly metric) on the other end. I was looking at a Westerbeke W30 and the studs looked identical to the W60. Thanks for the response. James
Old 28-07-2015, 12:59   #13

Boat: Newport 41

I have acquired a running W40 from a guy that was repowering a 1978 Westsail 32 that he bought. It has 3570 hrs on the clock, pulled the oil pan off expecting lots sludge, verchally none. I'm going to pull the heat exchanger off tonight, and do the injectors. Is there anything else you westerbeke guys can think of that I should be checking before putting it in the boat?
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 14:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlater View Post
I have acquired a running W40 from a guy that was repowering a 1978 Westsail 32 that he bought. It has 3570 hrs on the clock, pulled the oil pan off expecting lots sludge, verchally none. I'm going to pull the heat exchanger off tonight, and do the injectors. Is there anything else you westerbeke guys can think of that I should be checking before putting it in the boat?
You can tell a lot about the condition of the rings, valves etc. by doing a compression test. The W60 I am looking for parts for was written off as worn out based on low compression (Hard starting)..even though no one had actually done the test… A compression test in this case revealed that all cylinders were within about 3 percent of factory specs. and some fresh injectors and glow plugs cured the hard starting problem. Good luck.

James
Old 28-07-2015, 14:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
OK, ditto on Trans Atlantic Diesel (say hi to Sherry); also, try Engines1 Westerbeke, Diesel Engines, Diesel Generators, Gas generators, Marine Generators, Air Conditioning

you're getting good advice and I'd agree that the block is probably a P236

S
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions! James

Tags
parts, westerbeke