Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 18:05   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: West Wight Potter 15 Blue Water Layup

WWPs are all about community. It's an especially good community if you have facial hair and enjoy singlehanding in salty-looking little boats. Those guys get together all the time, kinda like a motorcycle club. The downside is that it's a trailer-sailor, which means that ebb chop will stop it cold.

The nice thing about trailer-sailors is that you never have to experience ebb chop. The bad thing about the Potter 15 is going to weather and being passed by Bash in his sea kayak.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23   #17

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

The "Select" package is $12,495. The "Premium" (blue water layup) is $14,995. That's a $2500 add-on. On the used market I would think that if you could find two comparable boats, one with and one without the package, the market value shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars difference. I wouldn't let the blue water layup be a factor at all. Find a good well maintained boat at a good price and get it. Go sailing.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
WWPs are all about community. It's an especially good community if you have facial hair and enjoy singlehanding in salty-looking little boats. Those guys get together all the time, kinda like a motorcycle club. The downside is that it's a trailer-sailor, which means that ebb chop will stop it cold.

The nice thing about trailer-sailors is that you never have to experience ebb chop. The bad thing about the Potter 15 is going to weather and being passed by Bash in his sea kayak.
I have been showing my wife pics of Potters on the net, in hopes of creating excitement about my pending boat purchase. She pointed out that the sailors in the pics all look like me. This is probably not good, but probably true.

I am going to Monterey next weekend where I have been told there will be a lot of Potters gathering. I have only seen one in the flesh. Hopefully there will be no ebb chop and maybe someone can tell me what the he'll that is.
Sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfkjeld View Post
I have been showing my wife pics of Potters on the net, in hopes of creating excitement about my pending boat purchase. She pointed out that the sailors in the pics all look like me. This is probably not good, but probably true.

I am going to Monterey next weekend where I have been told there will be a lot of Potters gathering. I have only seen one in the flesh. Hopefully there will be no ebb chop and maybe someone can tell me what the he'll that is.
Ebb chop is something of a west coast phenomenon. An ebb tide will be heading west, into the prevailing winds. Those winds will hold the wave crests up, creating steeper chop. This can be a huge problem for smaller, lightweight boats, some of which won't be able to motor or sail into the wind during a strong ebb.

There are gatherings of the Potter clan all over the left coast. I've seen them in Monterey, in Redwood City, and even up in the Delta. You can bank on the facial hair, not that I have any problem with that. I would fit into the group perfectly were it not for the fact that my boat displaces 15 tons and thrives in ebb chop.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

This was the most commonly seen boat on Hilo Bay for many years. We just mourned the passing of Roy Forbes who is on the tiller in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WWP 15 Roy and Allie.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	63727  

Tags
layup, water