Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 10:57   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: Weirdest things you've seen on the water.

Killer logs. On a business trip to Vancouver many years ago a group of us chartered a 50 ft sport fishing boat (with skipper) to go salmon fishing offshore. It was a warm calm day & the fish weren't biting but the beer was going down well when one of our party (OK, me) spotted some shapes on the horizon - looked like the fins of a pod of Orcas which I believe frequent these waters - so off we went to investigate..
Turns out the logging industry loses a lot of timber from the rivers around there so these weren't the interesting killer whales we thought would liven up our afternoon, but logs which had stumps of branches sticking up.. An easy mistake but it took a while to live down..
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:02   #17

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
One clear night while crossing the Atlantic in an eastward direction, my wife - who was on watch - woke me in a panic to show me a incredibly bright white light on the horizon off our starboard bow. She was not seeing anything on either radar or GPS and did not know how to account for the threat.

I told her it was the moon rising and had a good laugh at her expense until to nights later, I was jolted by a bright white light appearing in the same location - I also had succumbed to luna-cy!
I have seen several times when the moon coming over a cloudy horizon looks just like a red flare. Enough to get your attention!
Old 11-02-2021, 11:05   #18

Boat: Morgan 382

Once while I was on watch on a dark night, the whole boat lit up very bright, from behind me. I turned around and saw what looked like a green flare, only about 50 ft away and 50 feet in the air. It was there for a good 20 seconds. I later concluded that it wasn't a flare, but probably a meteor, and much further away than the 50ft it seemed.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:22   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I have seen several times when the moon coming over a cloudy horizon looks just like a red flare. Enough to get your attention!
Ahh, the moon rising... What follows is just a story. I'm just making it up, OK? No breach of the Official Secrets Act is involved. At all.

I have this sailing friend - even older than me. Very clever chap - worked at Aldermaston (where Britain built its Bomb) & also Fylingdales in Yorkshire - part of the DEW line to give us 4 minutes warning (USA got a bit longer) long long ago. He does like his late night gins in the saloon, though (& so do I).

So he tells this story one time about a full scale alert he witnessed one night at Fylingdales. The radar is picking up a major Soviet ICBM launch. False alarm of course - so its double checked. No, still there. Still there. Still there, still going up. S**t s**t s**t. Still effing there.

He says we got to within a very few minutes of launching a nuclear counter strike before someone realised the radar had picked up the moon rising in the east - over Russia.

You've heard this story before, of course. Its on Google. Could be complete b****cks. Wonder if its true, though? My friend was very authoritative....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:47   #20

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Sailing north west of Madagascar heading for Seychelles, we saw a line on the surface of the water from horizon to horizon which had totally different water conditions - glassy smooth on the far side, quite strong wind ripples on our side. We were nervous enough to take down the sails and motor across the line. When we did, nothing. Never explained it.

On the same trip, sailing along with 10kn of wind, lightly rippled sea, the water surface suddenly became very turbulent, rough and noisy. Boat speed on the instruments remained unchanged, on the GPS we lost most of our headway. Seemingly it was an upwelling, an underwater current being thrust to the surface by an undersea mountain or other seabed irregularity. Explainable but still worrisome until you figure it out.

Once, middle of the night between San Diego and Nuku Hiva, the sea came alive with flashing coloured light below the surface. So compelling that I woke the crew to come and have a look. It went on for an hour or more. It wasn’t until some years later we discovered (from a Nat Geo program on the telly) that it was giant squid, probably 50 or 60 metres below the surface who flash light at each other as a means of communication. Spectacular to watch, never seen again.

Lastly, the contentious “green flash” that many believe is a figment of one’s imagination but seen simultaneously by all three people on board. I’ll always argue that it is a real phenomenon, not the result of too much rum. I spent every clear evening videoing the horizon at sunset but never saw it again.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:53   #21

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Hard to say this is weird per se, but the anachronistic juxtaposition of 19th-century wooden vessels on Boston Harbor and the passenger jets landing at Logan is at least crazy cool, especially when that vessel is the frigate U.S.S. Constitution.

Also freaky is when the fog limits that jet to a shadow that whistles overhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	232310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	232311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_EDC1E6F60D9F-1.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	232312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00629.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	232313  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:17   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Weirdest things you've seen on the water.

Seen many things in the night skies mid Atlantic but the two that stick in my head most are 1/ traveling from Cherbourg to Poole I saw a formation of lights overhead grouped in a triangle that hovered then in a blink moved East by maybe 20 degrees then back W 40 degrees then forwards, came to a stop before shooting straight upwards and disappearing.
2nd was as I was approaching Finisterre in the early hours maybe 4nm to my S when a florescent green object shaped like a rugby ball flashed past high overhead and disappeared to the W of me.. looked for reports of a meteor when I got to Baiona the following day but no reports of any sightings of UFO's..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:42   #23

Boat: Volkscruiser

I spotted a young lady berthing their yacht in a G-string bikini at our marina. The weird thing was my wife's reaction when I vaulted over our lifelines to go help handle their lines. True story, I just didn't want their gelcoat getting scratched.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
... Lastly, the contentious “green flash” that many believe is a figment of one’s imagination but seen simultaneously by all three people on board. I’ll always argue that it is a real phenomenon, not the result of too much rum. I spent every clear evening videoing the horizon at sunset but never saw it again.
I’ve seen the “green flash” numerous times, at sunset, but, never at sunrise.

Is the green flash real?
Is the green flash real? (Beginner) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

Observed colors of “green” flashes
https://aty.sdsu.edu/explain/obs_colors.html

Catching the elusive 'green flash'
https://www.aaas.org/catching-elusive-green-flash

Red Sunset & Green Flash
Red Sunset, Green Flash

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:56   #25

Boat: Sea Pearl Tri; 21' TriTesserToo

Weird/wonderful: my first charter in the Keys. An older 25’ sloop from a mom n pop marina in Key Largo sailing toward Key West, blowing 20, steep sea running 3 -4’, broad reach, single reef in, wishing there was another. A gust increased our heel and I shifted to the windward side. Just as I turn around, not 3’ from the gunnel, a huge Ray flew out of the top of a wave at our stern, completely clear of the water and entered the top of the next wave 15, 20 ‘ ahead, without a sound or splash. Flew right past us. I remember thinking - did I really just see that!?
billb784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:03   #26

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Not boat related. Coming out of Costco one night as we turned to the west we saw a huge fire in the direction of our home.

This is after several years of close wildland fires in our region. ( Under evac orders 3 times in two years )
It looked just like the fires we had seen from our deck in the distance.

It took a bit to realize we were seeing the sun set.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:08   #27

Boat: BABA 30

Off the coast of Hawaii last year, I saw 10-15 stars all in a perfect line about 10 degrees above the horizon. After picking my jaw up off the deck, I became immediately superstitious and avoided anything remotely dangerous for the remainder of the night. Upon landfall and a conversation with a friend, I was informed that it wasn't a Ill omen but merely the starlink satellites.

This November off Oahu we witnessed what was said to be a unexpected Soviet Union cosmos satellite from the 80’s re-enter and burn up. It entered a couple hands over the horizon and streaked in slow motion all the way to over the opposite horizon. It left a trail that was visible for 5-6 minutes, and at the apex we could hear it rumbling and saw pieces breaking up. Looked like an apocalyptic event from a movie. Way too large and close for comfort during the event.
Noah-SVGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:16   #28

Strange things I've seen usually involve marine life. Like once, crossing Tampa Bay, when it was wall to wall stingrays, and it was like the boat was pushing them out of the way, they were so thick around the surface. I'd never seen it before, and I've never seen it since.
Old 11-02-2021, 13:18   #29

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
Not boat related. Coming out of Costco one night as we turned to the west we saw a huge fire in the direction of our home.

This is after several years of close wildland fires in our region. ( Under evac orders 3 times in two years )
It looked just like the fires we had seen from our deck in the distance.

It took a bit to realize we were seeing the sun set.

It's quite amazing how our brains interpret what we see based on what we expect to see.

One night I was startled awake by someone on deck shining a very bright flashlight through the window beside my berth - and blinding me. With only two of us aboard and my partner sound asleep beside me I knew something was amiss and rushed, naked, on deck with my big Maglite flashlight - prepared for anything! (yah, right!) only to find it was the full moon on a beautiful clear night.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 13:20   #30

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

OK shufti, what was it you were to afraid of being foolish to whare with us?

I once saw a very bright flare come out of the sea off Coronado, CA about 2 mi off, went to look see, 40' 30knt fishing boat, and absolutly nothing there. This was 3-4 mins after sighting it. Too shallow for subs in the Coronado Roads, but thought maybe SEALS training?? I was expecting to see safety boats in the area after we decided it must have been SEALS.

BTW, middle of the day in bright sunshine.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water