Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 18:29   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Weirdest things you've seen on the water.

I have got to quit reading this thread. I was just going over a long bridge/causeway. All of a sudden I see a bright unexplained light ahead and to my right in the sky. I gasped and immediately thought of this thread. Holy ****, what am I seeing?

Another car had started over the bridge behind me. I saw his one headlight in the rear view mirror.

Dolt!!!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 19:22   #152

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch
Smile Re: Weirdest things you've seen on the water.

Ok! One more story: Been sailing so long I've got a bunch.

2010 in Bahia Honda in Panama. One of the most beautiful and peaceful places in the whole world. We were anchored in the Northwest corner enjoying perfection on Easter Sunday morning. We decided to take the dingy to the little village on the island. Coming back, i was rowing just for the fun of it. As we approached our unattended and anchored "Someday" we heard a fairly load tapping sound coming from our boat.

It was coming from the far side, so I quietly rowed around the stern. We could see nothing, but the loud slapping sound was on the deck. I pulled close to but not quite against the side and stood up in the dinghy so I could see the source of the noise on deck. I immediately saw a good sized, maybe 3# Sierra flopping on the deck. I climbed aboard and dispatched it with an oar. Barb started getting the galley ready while I cleaned it on deck. It was a wonderful mid day meal of Sierra Mackeral

We realized our Easter Sunday fish dinner was indead a "Holy Mackeral."
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 19:52   #153

Boat: Endeavour 35.

Back in the day. (1980) or so. While commercial fishing. We left LA California for Seattle Wa. 2 or 3 days up the coast we started seeing jellyfish the little air bubble type. Forget the name. As the day when on. There were more and then patches of them. Then by the 5th day or so. The water was SOLID with jellyfish as far as you could see we motored through jellyfish for 2 days! Then they started to break up. Then fewer and fewer until finally they were gone
Leebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 04:58   #154

Heading to Twin Harbors, on the west side of Catalina at night.

Thought I was seeing things, as in the the water,
glowing trails of light ran before us.

Lying down on the bow, looking below and fore,
dolphins were zooming ahead of us.

Great way to start off o trip to Mexico!
nonav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 05:52   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Another car had started over the bridge behind me. I saw his one headlight in the rear view mirror.

Dolt!!!

That made me laugh this morning and I needed it. Thanks.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:24   #156
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznoeta View Post
Halfway down the Calabrian coast, three nautical miles from shore, we came across a pig, happily swimming towards Sardegna - if that was the case then he had another 230 nautical miles to go ! We were a bit worried that he mightn’t make it so we decided to herd him back to shore – two hours and a little help from a local Italian speedboat and the Guardia Costiera later, he clambered onto the rocks and took off down the beach, we didn’t stay around to see what happened next...
Now that reminds me of Hawaii. I was sitting on the beach watching a tourist. She attracted my attention as she appeared to be doing her yoga sun salutations. Big broad arm raises overhead.

Nothing odd in this. This part of Hawaii was known for fruits and nuts.

Later I notice she was quite a ways out and I remember thinking I wish these tourists would stick closer to shore. I watched her swim in closer and she certainly floated rather well. Not exactly an efficient swimmer I thought but at least she could never drown. I could see her chubby legs high up in the air each time she kicked.

Good...at least now she is closer back in. She continued her sun salutation routine and all was right again.

Well so I thought. Someone on the beach concluded she was not doing yoga and started shouting someone is drowning out there.

So a whole bunch of guys ran into the sea to haul her back. She collapsed exhausted on the beach. If by now you concluded she wasn't doing yoga and was trying to attract attention you are right.

From the size of her, it was apparent there was zero chance she could have drowned. So I admit I didn't feel that guilty that I incorrectly thought she was doing yoga poses. Besides I was keeping an eye on her in case the current carried her too far from shore.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 13:01   #157

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Did she sing? ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Now that reminds me of Hawaii. I was sitting on the beach watching a tourist. She attracted my attention as she appeared to be doing her yoga sun salutations. Big broad arm raises overhead.

Nothing odd in this. This part of Hawaii was known for fruits and nuts.

Later I notice she was quite a ways out and I remember thinking I wish these tourists would stick closer to shore. I watched her swim in closer and she certainly floated rather well. Not exactly an efficient swimmer I thought but at least she could never drown. I could see her chubby legs high up in the air each time she kicked.

Good...at least now she is closer back in. She continued her sun salutation routine and all was right again.

Well so I thought. Someone on the beach concluded she was not doing yoga and started shouting someone is drowning out there.

So a whole bunch of guys ran into the sea to haul her back. She collapsed exhausted on the beach. If by now you concluded she wasn't doing yoga and was trying to attract attention you are right.

From the size of her, it was apparent there was zero chance she could have drowned. So I admit I didn't feel that guilty that I incorrectly thought she was doing yoga poses. Besides I was keeping an eye on her in case the current carried her too far from shore.
Old 17-02-2021, 14:02   #158

Boat: John Pugh 46 Motor Sailer

We saw a similar thing when sailing from Lakes Entrance, Victoria, Australia to Gabo Is. There was a point off our port bow. We saw trees and a beach with waves lapping the shore. We knew there should be nothing there and even turned on the Radar which showed nothing. We took a picture of it, but I don't know how to upload it. This "mirage" eventually dissipated as we continued on our way.
Rob seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:14   #159

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I swam in a red tide, once. It felt goopy, like chunky bits of jello might. Very happy to have a fresh water wash afterwards.

Ann
Old 17-02-2021, 14:21   #160

Boat: John Pugh 46 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Seen many things in the night skies mid Atlantic but the two that stick in my head most are 1/ traveling from Cherbourg to Poole I saw a formation of lights overhead grouped in a triangle that hovered then in a blink moved East by maybe 20 degrees then back W 40 degrees then forwards, came to a stop before shooting straight upwards and disappearing.
2nd was as I was approaching Finisterre in the early hours maybe 4nm to my S when a florescent green object shaped like a rugby ball flashed past high overhead and disappeared to the W of me.. looked for reports of a meteor when I got to Baiona the following day but no reports of any sightings of UFO's..
We were anchored off East Kangaroo Is in the Furneaux Group, Bass Strait Oz. It was a clear starry night (December 1987). I was sitting in the cockpit and saw what looked like a star which was moving in relation to the other stars. I called out to my girlfriend (now wife) " I can see a satellite!" I continued to observe this bright light, it then executed a course change of about 45degrees that was immediate ( no curve or radius).It then changed course again in the opposite direction. The path travelled was like the teeth of a saw, but with the amplitude increasing each course change. I called to Mary to come and see. The object then accelerated to the south so rapidly that it appeared as an unbroken streak of silvery, white light as it disappeared below the horizon. There was no sound whatsever, which did not make sense as this object would have broken the sound barrier within milliseconds. This is the only weird thing I have observed which I cannot explain.
Rob seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:29   #161
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Cruised into the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean filming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pirates.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	232781  
Old 17-02-2021, 15:22   #162

Boat: Antares 44i

One night in the Med on a passage, my wife had the watch. She called me up in an excited voice, worried about a strange AIS signal on a collision course. I hustled up to the helm and took a look. She had seen a AIS signal, dead ahead, traveling towards us at 134 knots. I saw that it was marked 'SAR' and told her, don't worry, that is a search and rescue plane that just overflew us, though it had to be relatively high because we didn't hear anything.

As our blood pressures came down, I took a few minutes tot scan the horizons and saw, passing us parallel off our starboard side, about 1000 meters away, a line of black silhouettes - all of warships, without a light on anywhere. I took a look at the radar, and there they all were, but without AIS. The plane, marked SAR, must have been checking out us as a threat to a naval convoy that was running without lights or AIS.

We have passed naval ships many times in the Med, often designated 'NATO Warship' on AIS. This was the only time we saw a group running black. Very spooky.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 18:16   #163

Boat: csy 37

not weird but -

we were crossing the gulf stream, west palm beach to the abacos. about 10 am we were about ten miles ssw of memory rock, just about to come on to soundings, when there was a loud thump at the bow near the waterline. something went rolling under the keel (a full keel, thank goodness) and then out the stern of the boat. i had visions of a submerged container or giant tree trunk but when i looked back i saw a large shark on the surface swishing his tail back and forth. i guess he was sleeping on the surface and didn't hear us coming. i went below to check for damage and thankfully there was none.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 18:21   #164

Boat: Islander 36

A body. Someone with mental problems ditched the cops in a stolen truck, ditched the truck at the edge of San Francisco Bay, and apparently entered the water. I happened to be in the area the next day (knew nothing of this), saw and identified a dead person floating and radioed it in to the Coast Guard.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 19:34   #165

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Cruised into the middle of Pirates of the Caribbean filming.
Reminds me of the time my son and I, kayaking in Plymouth, passed under the bulwarks of HMS Bounty, days before she sank in Sandy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	232791  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water