Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 21:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Weather Advice

Lets say you really wanted to get a boat to Newport by Saturday early am, and it was currently in San Diego and the weather was a bit dicey, what would you be thinking right now?

The boat is a bit over 30 foot fin keel and fairly well equipped. The crew would be a mixture of experience but have a lot of hours between them.

National Weather Service - NWS San Diego

Southern California Marine Weather Forecast for latitude 33.25 longitude -118.0 | BUOYWEATHER.COM

7-Day Zone Forecast for San Diego County Coastal Areas
Old 06-04-2011, 22:13   #2

Boat: N/M 45
Re: Weather advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Lets say you really wanted to get a boat to Newport by Saturday early am, and it was currently in San Diego and the weather was a bit dicey, what would you be thinking right now?

The boat is a bit over 30 foot fin keel and fairly well equipped. The crew would be a mixture of experience but have a lot of hours between them.
Based on current forecast, I'd plan to depart San Diego Friday morning. It's 65 miles to Newport from San Diego, you'd be there in 12 hours or so at 5 knots boat speed, weather looks pretty good for Friday.

If you wanted a faster ride leave tonight, you'd be in Newport Thursday mid-day.

If you wanted Mr. Toad's wild ride, leave Thursday afternoon - though that might be no fun and you'd risk some gear breakage...

of course I'm not there I'm in San Francisco, and the forecast weather, especially coming out of the south, actually looks quite nice for the whole period - 20-25 knots out of the south is a good time to set the kite and boogie north. I don't know if local harbor conditions would factor into a decision, and it would be nicer to head out early AM Thursday or Friday and have most of the trip during daylight hours. Thursday night looks like the most unpleasant time to be on the water.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Weather Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Lets say you really wanted to get a boat to Newport by Saturday early am, and it was currently in San Diego and the weather was a bit dicey, what would you be thinking right now? ...
I’d be thinking about how it was such a shame that I’d have to file this desire alongside my earlier desire to win multiple repeat Wimbledon tennis championships, and discover a practical cold fusion method.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:49   #4

Probably Rum!! then i would't want to leave until friday
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

I would be thinking of the old saying "the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule"...

If you are looking for encouragement, you won't get it from me based on the forecast.

Someone said "You can only pick your weather on your first day." If you're not prepared to deal with 25kt gusts, seas 6-8' and thunderstorms, then why go? If you ARE prepared for nasty, lumpy, windy wet conditions, why ask us?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31   #6

Boat: Beneteau 36.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I would be thinking of the old saying "the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule"...
Yep - in this case the trip quite possibly won't happen though we'll see how it works out as the overall picture continues to develop. The only time I've tried to sail anywhere on a schedule before the weather told me off too...

So far it doesn't look good.

Tags
weather