Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 07:43   #136

Re: We were attacked by Orcas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
More, recent report, found on FB:

Link to FB please...
Old 08-10-2020, 21:09   #137

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Maybe I will carry a bag of frozen squid and throw it at the Orca if it gets too close. I figure...since everyone thinks these animals are geniuses he will know I am a friend and not a foe and thus leave me alone. Unless I end up with one with a low IQ and thinks I am a giant squid and I am his next meal.
Ill keep you posted.....

Just a thought..

Abe
Old 10-10-2020, 11:35   #138

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Speaking as an American, the obvious solution is to hunt all oras and kill them to near extinction. We can't allow animals to threaten our yachts or safety!

It really is an amazing behavior pattern. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Will it just stop? Will other pods of orcas learn and mimic this?

It's obvious how you vote, Z . . . and your comment has nothing to do with reality. Another home-grown America basher that contributes nothing but rancor and discord to a legitimate cruising forum. Orcas?

Rognvald
Old 10-10-2020, 12:05   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Yeah, that was my thought too...that this behavior continues until they come up against an armed vessel or until (human) lives are lost or vessel sunk or similar to prompt some sovereignty to take action other than banning smaller vessels operating certain areas.
Of course there is plenty of precedent for culling apex predators after attacks on humans, but was wondering if any of the marine experts had any other ideas to avoid this, or to hopefully change the behavior.
On the US west coast and Alaska, these "seal bombs" are (legally) used by fishermen. Quite effective to scare away seals and recreational divers. Not sure about Orcas. There is a lot of debate about injury to animals from these nasty underwater M80s. I would be sad to consider the possible mammal hearing/sensory damage caused... but after 2 hours of Orca-banging... hmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealbomb.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	224953  
Old 10-10-2020, 13:08   #140
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
On the US west coast and Alaska, these "seal bombs" are (legally) used by fishermen. Quite effective to scare away seals and recreational divers. Not sure about Orcas. There is a lot of debate about injury to animals from these nasty underwater M80s. I would be sad to consider the possible mammal hearing/sensory damage caused... but after 2 hours of Orca-banging... hmmm...
Please don’t use seal bombs!

It will only reinforce their aggressive behavior.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 10-10-2020, 13:09   #141

Quote:
Yet more horrible and despicable human behaviour. We love invading and destroying...
Old 10-10-2020, 13:55   #142

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

NaClyDog,

I agree with you. Discover and destroy.....it's what humans do.
Old 10-10-2020, 14:08   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
NaClyDog,

I agree with you. Discover and destroy.....it's what humans do.

Per "Avatar". We want it, you are irrelevant except that you are in the way.
Old 10-10-2020, 15:22   #144

Quote:
...I would be sad to consider the possible mammal hearing/sensory damage caused... but after 2 hours of Orca-banging... hmmm...
People will take that out of context and run with it, but in open water with animals banging on their rudder their holier-than-thou tune would certainly change.

Otherwise your point speaks to the need to be able to do something when personal safety is genuinely in the balance. FWIW the following summary of a conference a few years ago cites the same thing:
Balance an appropriately precautionary approach with need for legal and effective deterrents. A number of workshop participants called for the Agency to balance the precautionary approach recommended by many workshop participants with the need to ensure legal, non-lethal deterrents are made available as tools to individuals needing to protect property, catch or personal safety. The Agency, these individuals said, needs to weigh the uncertain impacts associated with some deterrent devices (or the improper use of these deterrents) with certain risks (e.g., individuals resort to using illegal methods such as firearms to shoot live ammunition because they feel there are no other tools are available for non-lethal deterrence). As well, a lack of legal deterrents, some participants noted, could also lead to increased bycatch or other impacts to the animals (e.g., retaliation by intentional injury or killing). These assessments, several participants noted, need to be informed by taxa-, species- and geography-specific considerations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&ua ct=8&ved=2ahUKEwi4vc6AhqvsAhVStZ4KHQB6CoUQFjABegQI BRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Frepository.library.noaa.gov %2Fview%2Fnoaa%2F15852%2Fnoaa_15852_DS1.pdf%3F&usg =AOvVaw1grr1sbaPKYPCjKQm0QPow

Also..US guidelines, FWIW:
Guidelines for Safely Deterring Marine Mammals
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/08/31/2020-18718/guidelines-for-safely-deterring-marine-mammals

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oorc.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	224957  
Old 10-10-2020, 15:49   #145

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Guy View Post
Link to FB please...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/165878070095321?view=permalink&id=4036550209694735
Old 10-10-2020, 16:25   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Yet more horrible and despicable human behaviour. We love invading and destroying...
Really? NOAA scientists have studied this technique as well as oikomi pipes to haze orcas in the event of an oil spill, for their own good. Not in my tool kit, but I think most would frown more at the live ammunition reportedly being used rather than a non lethal seal bomb, no?
Old 10-10-2020, 16:30   #147

Quote:
Really? NOAA scientists have studied this technique as well as oikomi pipes to haze orcas in the event of an oil spill, for their own good. Not in my tool kit, but I think most would frown more at the live ammunition reportedly being used rather than a non lethal seal bomb, no?
Yes really. In your example, were the orcas doing the oil drilling? Pretty sure that would also be on the humans.

"for their own good"
Old 10-10-2020, 16:42   #148

Quote:
Yes really. In your example, were the orcas doing the oil drilling? Pretty sure that would also be on the humans.

"for their own good"
The subject matter here is an emerging problem of orcas in a certain area and cruising boats.

Like most people here, my boat, its sails, its running rigging, its paint, its dodger and bimini, its portlights, cushions, plumbing, insulation, and fuel tank contents are all products of oil rigs. Everyone here wishes to have the least additional footprint on nature as is possible. Please let's not be myopic and sanctimonious in that effort.
Old 10-10-2020, 16:46   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
The subject matter here is an emerging problem of orcas in a certain area and cruising boats.

Like most people here, my boat, its sails, its running rigging, its paint, its dodger and bimini, its portlights, cushions, plumbing, insulation, and fuel tank contents are all products of oil rigs. Everyone here wishes to have the least additional footprint on nature as is possible. Please let's not be myopic and sanctimonious in that effort.
I totally understand that (and am literally / figuratively in the same boat as everyone else) but to pretend that we are doing these things for the good of the creatures that live in the sea is laughable. Let's call it what it is.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:09   #150

Quote:
...to pretend that we are doing these things for the good of the creatures that live in the sea is laughable. Let's call it what it is.
Please understand that the reasons for your strong conviction here are not obvious to all.

After the Exxon Valdez disaster, there was quite a scientific effort to develop the concept of the acoustic fence. After many experiments, it was found that banging on pipes somewhere between 2m - 4m in length worked best to keep orcas away from a specific area.

Some people regard this idea as a noble and humane way of saving the lives of marine mammals in the event of another environmental disaster. Since the flow of oil through orca habitats continues today, this viewpoint seems to have some merit.

A more cynical view might perceive the whole effort as just a corporate scheme to rationalize more drilling and pipelines in delicate environments.

I could be in the cynical camp. Not sure, really. However, your innuendo lacks the sort of clear language needed on an Internet forum, in order to define your position. Care to elaborate? We have yet to “call it what it is” here. I might even agree with you.
Closed Thread