Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 16:21   #76

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)
Re: Ways solo sail into slip safely

Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 21:43   #77

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Thinking of ways to solo sail into a slip safely

The subject is sail into a slip
Yes, but most of us knew what he meant ......
Old 22-04-2021, 03:26   #78

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Let me get this straight: What is important is not what he said, its what we think he meant. Perhaps that is how misunderstandings happen?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 04:48   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Let me get this straight: What is important is not what he said, its what we think he meant. Perhaps that is how misunderstandings happen?

That's all to common these days, especially with certain politicians and the MSM
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 07:19   #80

Boat: C-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I disagree. It is a matter of semantics and sailing into a slip and motoring into a slip are worlds apart. I do both and the techniques involved are completely different.
The OP said sailing in. For me and several others, that means coming in under sail. Do not assume that "most" of us knew what he meant. We are not all mind readers and there was nothing in the original post that in any way alludes to using the motor.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:17   #81

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Ways solo sail into slip safely

My merchant mariner friends talk about sailing. They may mean a supertanker or may mean a sailboat. Or a tug or a trawler.
Make no mistake they are sailors even without canvas.

There is meaning that depends on the situation. But the OP was writing about into a slip.
Ya don’t do that in a supertanker.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 06:30   #82

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
... sailing into a slip and motoring into a slip are worlds apart. I do both and the techniques involved are completely different. ...
Prior post (#37) stated sailing into slip isn't much different than motoring in. Huh...
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 06:36   #83

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbore View Post
Prior post (#37) stated sailing into slip isn't much different than motoring in. Huh...

Yes I did.

It's amazing how similar the two ways of docking are when you consider that the basics are; come in slowly, don't crash, and tie off without anyone going swimming.

The method of getting there is different, but the basics stay the same. To say otherwise is to also say that powered vessel and cargo ship crews aren't "sailors" because there aren't any "sails" involved.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:46   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Yes I did.

It's amazing how similar the two ways of docking are when you consider that the basics are; come in slowly, don't crash, and tie off without anyone going swimming.. . .

There's a lot more to it than that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 12:56   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbore View Post

That's from our new "expert" giving us the benefit of his ASA 101 course
Hardly what I'd call reliable advise.
Under motor:
You don't have a roughly 90° "no go heading"
You can use prop walk as well as rudder to turn the vessel
You can alter boat speed at will.
You can apply force to counteract drift/leeway, forward motion
You can even reverse the boat into the wind.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:03   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There's a lot more to it than that.
Not really. Unless you want to go from generalities to specifics.

Generalities:

Don't hit anything!!!

Be extra careful!!!

Keep any and all body parts out from between the dock and the boat.

Practice in a clear area so you can learn how to control the boat and stop it exactly where you want to.

Specifics:

Have your lines and fenders ready before you start heading toward the dock.

Don't be afraid to ask for help with dock lines.

Become familiar with how the boat handles at slow speeds.

Go in slow. Slower than that even. And then slow down some more. Yes, you're still going too fast, you can always add some momentum but there aren't any brakes on a boat. Go SLOW!!!

Take your time and fret that you're not taking enough time. If you're bored, you're not fretting and that means you're going too fast.

Give yourself lots of space to correct in case something goes wrong before it goes wrong and you crash.

If docking under power, coast in neutral as long as you can, put it into reverse when approaching the slip/dock for the braking effect and bump the throttle to avoid prop walk while trying to stop the boat dead in the water next to the slip/dock. Once dead in the water, shift the transmission to neutral and step off to tie the boat. Or lasso the dock cleat with a loop and tie off on a deck cleat before stepping off.

If docking under sail, luff the sails (or drop them completely) early early early and coast to a stop at the mark you set for yourself. For smaller boats that could be as soon as the bow is close enough to step off onto the dock and then pull the boat into the slip. For bigger boats, the boat should be in the slip or parallel to the dock when it stops. Step off, don't jump.

If someone gave you a big push with their kayak or dingy, coast and scrub off excess speed with a sharp turn or wagging the tiller/rudder lock to lock. Then follow the other procedures.

If you're using oars, use the oars to stop the boat next to the dock.

If using magic; have the wizard on board to stop the boat when you ask for it.

If you're praying; kneel and clasp your hands, look heavenward and appeal for divine intervention.

Any combination of, or all of, the above is also acceptable.
Old 23-04-2021, 15:55   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Not really. Unless you want to go from generalities to specifics.

Generalities:

Don't hit anything!!!

Be extra careful!!!

Keep any and all body parts out from between the dock and the boat.

Practice in a clear area so you can learn how to control the boat and stop it exactly where you want to.

Specifics:

Have your lines and fenders ready before you start heading toward the dock.

Don't be afraid to ask for help with dock lines.

Become familiar with how the boat handles at slow speeds.

Go in slow. Slower than that even. And then slow down some more. Yes, you're still going too fast, you can always add some momentum but there aren't any brakes on a boat. Go SLOW!!!

Take your time and fret that you're not taking enough time. If you're bored, you're not fretting and that means you're going too fast.

Give yourself lots of space to correct in case something goes wrong before it goes wrong and you crash.

If docking under power, coast in neutral as long as you can, put it into reverse when approaching the slip/dock for the braking effect and bump the throttle to avoid prop walk while trying to stop the boat dead in the water next to the slip/dock. Once dead in the water, shift the transmission to neutral and step off to tie the boat. Or lasso the dock cleat with a loop and tie off on a deck cleat before stepping off.

If docking under sail, luff the sails (or drop them completely) early early early and coast to a stop at the mark you set for yourself. For smaller boats that could be as soon as the bow is close enough to step off onto the dock and then pull the boat into the slip. For bigger boats, the boat should be in the slip or parallel to the dock when it stops. Step off, don't jump.

If someone gave you a big push with their kayak or dingy, coast and scrub off excess speed with a sharp turn or wagging the tiller/rudder lock to lock. Then follow the other procedures.

If you're using oars, use the oars to stop the boat next to the dock.

If using magic; have the wizard on board to stop the boat when you ask for it.

If you're praying; kneel and clasp your hands, look heavenward and appeal for divine intervention.

Any combination of, or all of, the above is also acceptable.

And this is based on -- what? How much experience?

How many times have you sailed a cruising boat into a berth?

Can you show videos to illustrate these principles, or are they armchair-devised?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 16:49   #88

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote: Go in slow. Slower than that even. And then slow down some more. Yes, you're still going too fast, you can always add some momentum but there aren't any brakes on a boat. Go SLOW!!!

That works in dead calm, maybe.

If you have to back in your average ten-ton 40-foot production cruiser with high freeboard in a 25-knot wind on your beam or any kind of current, this approach will not avail you.

You will, however, find out what it's like to do this on a sailboat. Lord knows I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.48.50 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	237182  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:25   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And this is based on -- what? How much experience?

How many times have you sailed a cruising boat into a berth?

Can you show videos to illustrate these principles, or are they armchair-devised?

I started sailing in my teens. I'm 62 now. You do the math.

I don't own a boat and my local charter marina doesn't allow it. Were I to have a situation in their boat where the auxiliary engine was disabled and I was unable to get back to the berth except under sail, I would call for assistance and sail to the public dock. Which, by the way, I HAVE INDEED sailed to and tied up at. Strangely, it usually requires that I go upwind when approaching the dock. Funny how that works in real life instead of on internet forums where experts abound with contrary "knowledge."

You Boob is filled with videos of sailboats doing all kinds of things. Some of it is even helpful at times. If you actually watch them.
Old 24-04-2021, 07:37   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Quote: Go in slow. Slower than that even. And then slow down some more. Yes, you're still going too fast, you can always add some momentum but there aren't any brakes on a boat. Go SLOW!!!

That works in dead calm, maybe.

If you have to back in your average ten-ton 40-foot production cruiser with high freeboard in a 25-knot wind on your beam or any kind of current, this approach will not avail you.

You will, however, find out what it's like to do this on a sailboat. Lord knows I have.

Please quote the OP's post and highlight where he asks about "backing" his boat into the slip in a 25 knot wind with an adverse current.

Further, were I to encounter such a situation, and was solo like the OP said he was in his opening post, I would radio for docking assistance or anchor until conditions improved and I wasn't risking either my boat or someone else's.

This isn't that difficult to understand.

Tags
sail