Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 18:45   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Wave forecasting - possible?

That is a cool feature (multiple wave patterns). NOAA forecasts normally only include wind waves and primary swell, which is useful, but having forecasts/observations for multiple wave patterns could help develop a mental image of what to expect.

Reminds me of a trip in rough weather from E Carib to E coast USA. We had wave patterns from 2 differents lows. One was nearby and was the primary pattern we encountered (swell + wind wave). The other was further off but stronger and generating bigger swells nearly perpindicular to the primary swell. And...it was very overcast and pitch black out...we could not actually see the larger secondary swell, but periodically one would break and you could hear it rumbling in from starboard...hard to starboard...crash thru wave...hard to port and back on course...it became routine...bit of a disturbing routine in retrospect...no idea how big the breaking waves were, but big enough to cause a steep climb and lots of water over deck.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 19:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
That is a cool feature (multiple wave patterns). NOAA forecasts normally only include wind waves and primary swell, which is useful, but having forecasts/observations for multiple wave patterns could help develop a mental image of what to expect.

Reminds me of a trip in rough weather from E Carib to E coast USA. We had wave patterns from 2 differents lows. One was nearby and was the primary pattern we encountered (swell + wind wave). The other was further off but stronger and generating bigger swells nearly perpindicular to the primary swell. And...it was very overcast and pitch black out...we could not actually see the larger secondary swell, but periodically one would break and you could hear it rumbling in from starboard...hard to starboard...crash thru wave...hard to port and back on course...it became routine...bit of a disturbing routine in retrospect...no idea how big the breaking waves were, but big enough to cause a steep climb and lots of water over deck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Actually, I am not sure NOAA delivers wave train data. There is that navy agency I think (FNMOC or similar name) that delivers WW3 data (Waves Waves (and more) Waves model).

So whether NOAA or another US agency, all the data comes from one source - the US taxpayer.

Sailors bless America. I mean it.

There is now this European thing too but them being Europeans their models are local. Only US public sources are global.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33   #19

Boat: San Juan 21

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. You guys are great. I never realized there was that much information that helped predict wave activity.

I did gather that it is still a forecast, and forecasts can be wrong. So I hope I can live up to the reply that said, "you will quickly learn".
Herb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forecast