Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 10:19   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Water taxi in SD info?

I'm heading up to SD to renew my visa, and would like to make a west marine run. I'm staying near the santa fe train station. Can I get a water taxi from Broadway Pier or Seaport Village to Shelter Island? Trying to figure out if there's an alternative to an expensive cab ride.

I'm meeting my dad at 1pm to drink Sculpin IPA until I can't see straight, since we don't get good IPA's down here in Mexico, and the one water taxi I saw doesn't start running until 3pm in the afternoon? There's another one that runs at 10am, but it looked like it only went to Coronado?

Any advice from a local maybe?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Water taxi in SD info?

One word- Uber
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:31   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Green trolley line from the Santa Fe station to Old Town will put you a short walk to West Marine on Rosecrans. From the Old Town station you can grab the 28 which goes to Shelter Island.

Will take more organization and more time than a taxi but cheaper. Or you Uber it.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:37   #4

Boat: Caliber 40

No water taxi except from convention center or Broadway Pier to Coronado

You can rent a DecoBike from the kiosk (one every block downtown) and pedal the 4 miles to Shelter Island (Pt Break is a great place for beer and old time funky cruiser hangout at the corner of Shelter Island Drive and Shafter St) and then drop the bike off at one of many kiosks on Shelter Island. It is $5 for 30-minutes and dead flat the entire way.

DecoBike San Diego - Rent a Bike | California Bicycle Rental, Bike Sharing, Public Bike Program | Bicycle Rentals, Bicycle Shop | San Diego Bike Tour, Bicycle Rides, Bicycle Sharing

There is a bike path all the way from Broadway Pier or Seaport Village to Shelter Island
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:46   #5

Thanks! Looks like I will take the trolley to old town and hit the one near there.

I was hoping to get to shelter island because that was a bigger store, I hit the WM in Chula Vista last time we were in SD and they didn't stock much of anything.

Was hoping to make it over to Club Marina (dive bar) to get a bloody with shrimp and crab in it, but maybe they only do that on Sundays, and I'll be there tomorrow!

If I have to uber/bike/whatever at least I'll be a little closer that way!

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:52   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Water taxi in SD info?

Try calling the WM store and see if they have a van service. If you know what you need I think they may deliver.

Also check in with Downwind Marine. More sailboat oriented and knowledgable.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:27   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

no water taxi. no rail. no bus to shelter island . bus only rosecrans.
bike or taxi for big bux or beat feet. sorry.

but you CAN dinghy to pearson fuel dock or to high seas fuel dock tie up ...talk with folks at the docks.
beats a pricy taxicab any day. where is you at??
from cop dock go to pearsons fuel fock. anchorage 9, go inside commercial basin, oops ac harbor ..... to fuel dock ....
tell little tony of high seas i said hay.
oh damn you flew.
from laurel street, near santa fe station, is bus only to rosecrans down rosecrans to shelter island walk the rest. donot know bus numbers but it lets ye off at wm front door
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:39   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
no water taxi. no rail. no bus to shelter island . bus only rosecrans.
Yes the rosecrans bus (28) stops directly outside of the Shelter Island West Marine. It's kind of round about to go train/trolley to old town and then down rosecrans all the way to shelter Island, but cheaper than a taxi.

I'd probably just walk, I've done the Santa Fe to Shelter Island hike a number of times. Or like Tacoma said take the bike (though if what you're buying is bulky at West Marine that may be a bike there - Uber back trip).
Old 11-04-2016, 11:42   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

forget the rail part completely. just complicates things.
you are following the water from rr station area around to wm. is actually a 20 min walk. briskly. btdt many times.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:56   #10

Boat: Selene 43 Ocean Trawler

I'm in SD, and there is no water taxi to Shelter Island - just from the Marriott (Seaport Village) to Coronado.

--> Uber, Lyft, or a cab.

ATBster
ATBster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:07   #11

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We've done the trolley-bus and Uber methods. UberX is usually $7-9 each way, but fast. Have fun.
Caleb C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49   #12

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

All this talk about transportation (admittedly, the OP's question) and no comments about the beer?
Wife and I were down there a few months ago and really enjoyed Ballast Point on Carroll Way. $5 flights seemed to be a pretty good deal for SD area too.

Try a little Tongue Buckler for a different path to IBU's, and some Sea Monster for contrast before topping off on Sculpin. Plus at 10% it will get you started on your quest to not see straight on the right foot.

-Slightly jealous in Oregon...
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
All this talk about transportation (admittedly, the OP's question) and no comments about the beer?
Wife and I were down there a few months ago and really enjoyed Ballast Point on Carroll Way. $5 flights seemed to be a pretty good deal for SD area too.

Try a little Tongue Buckler for a different path to IBU's, and some Sea Monster for contrast before topping off on Sculpin. Plus at 10% it will get you started on your quest to not see straight on the right foot.

-Slightly jealous in Oregon...
I'm back from West Marine. Took the trolley to old town and walked... i thouight to myself... wow everybody that walks by looks crazy... and then walked by the psych hospital... too funny. As I expected they had a crappy selection... but I did get 2 things... loving my new reef flip flops, but they were pretty damn expensive.

Thanks all for the comments/suggestions/offers for rides. Yes the beer! Went to Karl Strauss last night, the food kinda sucked, but the beer was good! Drank Tower 10, Aurora Hoppyalis, Big Barrel Double IPA, and the Mosaic, and liked the Aurora the best.

Now I'm off to meet my dad and head over to BALLAST POINT! WOOT!
Old 12-04-2016, 13:58   #14

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Autumbreeze, If you're still desperate to spend money at the bigger WM, Down Wind Marine or San Diego Marine Exchange on Shelter Island, send me a PM and I can arrange to pick you up near your mooring and haul you there and back. I'm docked at Half Moon Marina (Humphries) on Shelter Island. Tomorrow (Weds.) would work for me.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:05   #15

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Just a note about Karl Strauss who my father in law worked for first in Peoria, IL and then LA. He was president of PBR before it got bought out mainly by Miller. We used to visit him at his craft brewery in Sorrento Valley. He was very old then. Great beer, didn't eat the food.
ps.
My daughter and I used to use the mission bay water taxi from De Anza to camp land.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water