Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 09:31   #16

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Want Mattress advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Regardless of mattress type it’s critical to ventilate the bottom side of the mattress to prevent mold and infestation
Years ago, there was a product called VentAir, a massively robust version of a 3-M scrubbie 3/4" thick, with both sides covered with scrim. We bought enough to do both forward and aft berths, and on a very few occasions where there has been liquid (vs condensed) water under the mattresses, they have stayed dry.

That company is gone, along with it the double scrim (keeps from scratching paint or tearing mattress covers) but is available in single-scrim as Hypervent. I've bought some for our saloon, having found that we have condensation occasionally, from Defender:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1818021

To OP geoleo's question:

As to mattress, we had our Tempurpedic clones made for us, including some very interesting hull-hugging angles, here:
https://www.foamproducts.net/

Rick, the owner, is very accommodating, and will fabricate anything you need. In our case, it was a laminate (spray glued together) of firm foam base, and viscoelastic foam top. We used the various sizes of blanks they offer to design our installation, which had interesting angles and shapes which we cut from standard sizes. A 7' equilateral triangle Vee (two large pieces and a biscuit) plus our queen-depth/Not-less-than-7' wide plus ends (result of the typical horseshoe shape - the center is 4' wide and 5' deep, the width of a landside queen) combined was a large boatbuck. We spent more on the covers than on the mattresses.

But of significance to the issue at hand, you can also have it cut into whatever chunks you need to make it effective to fit your space. If it's a standard rectangle, you might find it advantageous to split it; we did that for our center section of the aft berth, using a solid-top (center becomes a hinge) two-section cover. You can see that here:
Pictures: Flying Pig 2011-2012 Refit/Cushions And Covers
The center section is hinged; we flop it together when we need to move it to get under the berth for steering stuff, but it also means that it's more manageable.

As our section is in the middle, it's not a full queen, the side bolsters making up the added length, but you could do the same with a full or queen mattress.

As they sell the mattresses either bare or with cover, a custom cover would be needed in any case, and your end product would be very affordable.

We have found that our bed is easily the most comfortable we've slept on, anywhere, from various family (4-each kids) to, even, hotels (all varieties and grades).

Give them a call and tell them what you want, and see how it turns out. They'll fabricate whatever level of density and height you want, and then do the shrink-pack for shipping.

Tell Rick that Skip on Flying Pig, with the weird angled cushions, says hi!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 09:33   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you do purchase a foam mattress and need to alter the shape to fit your platform, use an old electric carving knife. Much easier than scissors and creates better cuts.
We found ours for $1 at a flea market and was used to shape/cut the foam for cushions.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 10:17   #18

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We had our local mattress factory match our original two piece V vberth mattress with a new 5" two piece. We paid for an Aire Flow Hyper vent from Mattress Insider. Cut and joined with a few zip ties. Our mattress are great and breath very well.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 10:26   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

What Slug said; reduce moisture under mattress to prevent mold. I use Froli springs, a plastic spring system made in Germany that creates an air space below the mattress letting moisture we produce evaporate. added advantage is extra comfort. Sleep well
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 11:52   #20

Boat: Hake Seaward 32rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Just trashed original mattress Need advice on all the memory foam types ,maybe an air. Short queen and twin sizes. 6 inch thick. Thanks
matressinsider.com is who I used and I'm very happy with them. Send them a template and give them specs. They will ship to you.
bppleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:27   #21

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We have pretty much standard queen bunks on our cat. In December, replaced one of the original mattresses with Lucid 5" Foam Mattress from Amazon. We paid about $140. Slept on it for 19 nights in December. Loved it - better than mattress at home. We move on the boat in April!! (Anyone want a home mattress???)

The Lucid 5" are now on 2019 clearance (2020 version came out) for $99. Heres the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-...9983861&sr=8-1

We ordered a second one last week and it's arrived but not yet unrolled.

For $100 you can simply get rid of it every few years and replace.

Good luck

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:40   #22

Boat: Steel Ganley 46 (building)

Just went to Dusseldorf-Boot expo today and found this Flexima-mattresses (fleximanautic.com). Guess it's not cheap, but great technology! I will get them for my boat!
EqPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:56   #23

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Floor grid to have an air space can be bought at any big box store for less than $5/sq.ft. and are even cheaper at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Interlocking-...985692&sr=8-15
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 14:00   #24
rlg

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 14:17   #25

having had fifteen years of full time liveaboard cruising, I have slept on many different combinations.
Presently with 4" firm foam, then a sheep skin for a thermal break and then a fibre mattress topper. Cool and comfortable.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 14:22   #26

We decided that good mattresses were essential. Why spend all that money on a boat and all that effort on a lifestyle and then save money on a mattress? Spring and foam is the best combination provided that it fits and the springs are marine grade. Ebery night we think that money spent on mattresses is one of the best decisions we made. To this end we are perennially pleased with what these guys produce ( they are the suppliers to Oyster amongst others) and they ship.

http://shipshapebedding.co.uk/
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 03:58   #27

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
Floor grid to have an air space can be bought at any big box store for less than $5/sq.ft. and are even cheaper at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Interlocking-...985692&sr=8-15
My math skills are rusty, but that - I think - works out to $45 a square yard.

The link above to hypervent, a very lightweight (a SY in the above is 10 pounds; this is under 2 @ 0.6#/ft) product, at $9/foot in meter-wide chunks, works out to $27 a square yard, with an extra 9SI thrown in

As you might not be able to find it readily, here's the link, again:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1818021

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 05:56   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Memory foam mattresses sleep warm/hot. Latex sleeps cooler but inner spring is still the best

I sleep hot anyway, and memory foam exacerbates that...

No experience with latex to compare...

-Chris
Old 26-01-2020, 07:42   #29

We have a memory foam mattress at home. We hesitated a long time, because we kept hearing how they sleep hot, and my wife and I are both kind of "warm" sleepers anyway.

Now I'm sorry we waited. Must be an individual sort of thing. My wife and I absolutely do NOT sleep any warmer on the memory foam than we did on a "normal" mattress.

We would never go back to an old-style mattress after having the memory foam.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 10:28   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
We have a memory foam mattress at home. We hesitated a long time, because we kept hearing how they sleep hot, and my wife and I are both kind of "warm" sleepers anyway.

Now I'm sorry we waited. Must be an individual sort of thing. My wife and I absolutely do NOT sleep any warmer on the memory foam than we did on a "normal" mattress.

We would never go back to an old-style mattress after having the memory foam.
Please define “normal mattress” as well as “old-style mattress”. Would both be the same and some sort of polyurethane foam?
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease