Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2009, 10:43   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hate to be a sour puss here but being a cancer survivor I recommend that everyone have their PSA checked annually to get a base line reading. I didn't do it annually but every couple of years. About 15 months ago I was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer. I had surgery and so far everything is fine. If I had let it go for another year or two it could have spread all around my body and then curing it would have been more difficult or impossible. I friend of mine's father, who is a doctor, has stage III prostrate cancer. Very painful alow way to die. A simple blood test and you'll find out. OTH one of my favorite lines from a Willie Nelson Song, "There are more old drunks than there are old doctors so I think I'll have another round."

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 12:49   #17

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hate to be a sour puss here but being a cancer survivor I recommend that everyone have their PSA checked annually to get a base line reading. I didn't do it annually but every couple of years. About 15 months ago I was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer. I had surgery and so far everything is fine. If I had let it go for another year or two it could have spread all around my body and then curing it would have been more difficult or impossible. I friend of mine's father, who is a doctor, has stage III prostrate cancer. Very painful alow way to die. A simple blood test and you'll find out. OTH one of my favorite lines from a Willie Nelson Song, "There are more old drunks than there are old doctors so I think I'll have another round."
Your point is valid especially in high risks groups. Most testing for prostate cancer is low risk and non-invasive. Nevertheless, huge numbers of people have tumors that will never harm them, and doctors have not figured out how to separate people into groups that need some form of treatment for prostate cancer versus observation. (In a more recent autopsy study of 152 prostate glands from males aged 10–49-year who succumbed mainly because of violent causes, Sakr et al.6 found histologically confirmed prostate cancer in 27% and 34% among those aged 30–39 years and 40–49 years, respectively.Commentary: On the incidence of histological prostate cancer and the probable diagnosis of cases with tumours too small to produce symptoms or to attract attention on physical examination--the findings of Dr Arnold Rice Rich -- Adolfsson 36 (2): 285

Detection is important, but figuring out who needs the treatment, and what treatment to give is even more important. National studies are underway to answer those questions. Prostate cancer is extremely common, but most people don't have agressive tumors that require treatment. I will be happy when we finally figure out the answer to this puzzle.

My final recommendation is this. Get your PSA, have a digital exam, and if you are a woman, get a mamogram. Then get out of Dodge and go cruising. You will feel better, probably live longer, use fewer medications, have less stress, and have an awesome adventure.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 13:58   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
My final recommendation is this. Get your PSA, have a digital exam, and if you are a woman, get a mamogram. Then get out of Dodge and go cruising. You will feel better, probably live longer, use fewer medications, have less stress, and have an awesome adventure.

Dave:

If I could translate that into layman's terms -- Pay some one to poke you with a needle and draw some blood, Pay some one even more to stick a finger up your butt, and for woman -- pay to have your girls squeezed and photographed. I agree with the get out of Dodge scenario.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote