Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 08:39   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Voyaging with a Handicapped Crew Mate

I don't think, as DOJ pointed out, this is about discrimination as much as about fear for the person with disabilities. Captains of our vessels, we want our crew to be safe( period).
One time my friend, who I mentioned above, wanted to take the boat out in some foul bleak weather. He still had stars in his eyes about storms, read too many Tristan jones . Anyways, I was getting over a cold, had just gotten off from work, and a bit grumpy to boot. I told him if the "poop" hit the fan I was gonna stay dry down below and he would be on his own! He grinned and untied the dock lines. The poop hit the fan as we were coming back into port. I, sticking to my guns, went down below and left him to his fate. The squall hit, the wall of wind and rain, he dropped the main and yelled about how he couldn't see where he was. " how can you navigate without knowing where you are?" he yelled, ( lesson learned ) In reply, I mumbled I told ya so, and that he should of taken bearings before the visibility went to zero. I snuggled warm and dry in my blanket . BTW, I did take bearings right before I ducked down below so I knew, well was pretty sure, we were fine.
Anyways, I was 22 at the time, still thouht we were all invincible. Today, at 40, I'd would of never left him. He could of fallen overboard, he could of injured himself. Fear, some healthy, some not so much.

Hope that made sense,
Erika
Old 19-02-2013, 09:03   #32

Boat: Watkins 27

There are certain very real risks involved for all of us who choose to go to sea in small boats. We must make our peace with them before we cast off or sell the boat and stay home.

My primary concern, in this case, is what could he do if something were to happen to me. The answer, so far, seems to be that unless immediate help is at hand, he's a dead man. I am the main liability aboard.
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:17   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPelican View Post
if something were to happen to me. ....unless immediate help is at hand, he's a dead man. I am the main liability aboard.
You could buy him a PLB that he wears at all times so if you go belly up he can use his EPIRB no matter if he cant move about.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:27   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
My primary concern, in this case, is what could he do if something were to happen to me. The answer, so far, seems to be that unless immediate help is at hand, he's a dead man. I am the main liability aboard.
Not neccesarily dead , just not capable of getting boat back to port..........or rescuing you!

The answer for both of you is his ability to use a VHF and to communicate a position to shore. Albeit I suspect the odds on him being rescued(from the boat) would be far greater than yours! (from the water).

But if you are both aware of the risks and are both willing to take them - then I say go for it (of course some may say that you would then be putting a rescuer at a greater risk - but IMO that well within the boundaries. Besides, if they don't fancy the rescue they don't have to come - same as for everyone ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:17   #35

If it works, go for it.

But you should take a couple simple afternoon sails to see if it would really work. Then one overnight.

A longer voyage is much much different than a day sail.

The bathroom is the biggest issue, then getting on and off at far flung destinations. Strange docks, at a mooring, at anchor.

You'd want to practice recoveries from water too. Swimming may be great therapy for him, but going from water onto a boat can be very difficult for people who think they are in shape.

good luck
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:58   #36

Boat: Looking...

This is a great thread. It opens the mind to alternate ways of looking at issues that any sailor might face him/herself if injured during a voyage. It also illustrates the fact that one can keep sailing after enduring the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:27   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

I have assisted a captain who drove his boat from the wheelchair. The boat was extensively adjusted for his needs. The only thing he needed me for was to cast and pick up the moorings.

I think what is needed is actually always case-specific. You can learn about the basics online by googling for cerebral palsy. Read their forums, read their friends' and families' posts and you will get a general idea of what challenges there might be. Read information written by and for paralympic sailors. But then it all boils down to your friend's actual needs and possible limitations - every person is different.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39   #38

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

More examples of handicapped sailing:
Shake-A-Leg Miami Sets Sail :: Articles :: Ocean Drive Magazine
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57   #39

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I would suggest contacting the Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors in San Francisco.

They have been around a long time and are a wonderful group of people. They have modified a number of sailboats and are always willing to offer advice!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21   #40

Boat: Watkins 27

Ryan has made up his mind not to go on the cruise but we will still do some daysailing and maybe an overnighter or two when I'm in Florida. It's been great finding out what's possible from the folks here and has definitely opened my eyes and expanded the list of potential crew.
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Ryan has made up his mind not to go on the cruise but we will still do some daysailing and maybe an overnighter or two when I'm in Florida. It's been great finding out what's possible from the folks here and has definitely opened my eyes and expanded the list of potential crew.

I just wanted to say that googling for cerebral palsy may be very misleading. It's an umbrella term for a wide variety of difficulties. I have CP, but it's atypical, because USUALLY CP affects one side. In my case, it doesn't affect my arms at all, but both legs, one more than the other.

I know exactly what my legs can and cannot do, and exactly how to compensate for them. For instance, you use different muscles going up stairs than down. yesterday I climbed over an AC in the companionway to see something in a friend's boat. When it was time to get out, he said "Just go out the way you came in," but I actually needed to get out an entirely different way.

The person with the handicap should have a chance to get on the boat and figure out what works for him or her. It will be quite different for each person, and googling the topic might actually be very misleading.

Some people with CP have trouble with speech, and some don't. If one of your crew has a speech problem, you might need hand signals, but they might be atypical hand signals, depending on what else the CP affects.

I don't consider mine a handicap (it is mild). I just describe myself as "alternatively coordinated," because I can do most things -- just not the same way others might.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 13:34   #42

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Ms. Lambert , who has cerebral palsy, has already sailed around the Isle of Wight, now she's sailing across the channel.
Natasha Lambert to sail from France to England using sip and puff system

Here is her introductory movie:

Tags
crew