Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2010, 22:56   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Best one I saw was an article in Cruising World (maybe on their website) where yachts are needed to sail doctors into remote island communities in the Pacific.

You load a doctor and nurse on board in some city and then float off to the island then go trekking through the whole island looking into each village.

its the only time per year the doctor visits.

The quack is a volunteer from USA/EUR/AUS etc.

That would be kinda fun!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 19:02   #17

Boat: Aries 32
Try contacting the biology folks at your favorite University. They might have something you find of value and in which you could participate.

A Natural History Museum might well be interested in receiving samples (biological or environmental) if you're willing to collect, prepare, and document them properly.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 10:56   #18

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
I am reviving this old thread because my husband and I are at a crossroads and interested in combining our love for traveling with our desire to do some good in the world. I was hoping the OP and others interested in volunteering would share some stories about opportunities you have found along the way, or that have found you. We have collected a bunch of links by cruisers who have found ways to contribute to the communities they visit - lots of great ideas here, for those who have an interest in this topic: http://themonkeysfist.blogspot.com/2...-cruisers.html
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:16   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Volunteering & Cruising & Meaning of Life

I think, and this has nothing to do with volunteering opportunities, that if you want to do good then it is only up to you to do so. I mean there is so much need around. No need to travel, just look around you.

I feel volunteering involves some sort of need for a structure in situ, while actually it most of the time that the structure is badly missing. So creating one could be a good start, anywhere. It also involves wasting some energy on maintaining the structure, and structures we know tend to become rigid and, often, over time, inefficient (inefficient towards their original goals, efficient towards upkeeping the structure).

Also, I found that many Westerners actually only add up to the chaos if they go places and try (sure, in good faith) to help. The way I see things it takes a long, long and wise look before jumping into a help project. So, I think, it makes good sense to me that plenty and extensive research and prep is done, especially if you want to help in places that are far from your culture, far from your world.

So just these couple of ideas from me. I simply try to act when I see there is a need to act. So to say at times we end up as a 'one person self contained aid project' - maybe not a bad alternative to volunteering and so you can do much (hopefully) good wherever you happen to be.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:29   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

In the 3 years since my last post I have not seen a good volunteering project.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:59   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think this one is quite good... SeaMercy.org | Bringing Health Care to Remote Islands
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I simply try to act when I see there is a need to act. So to say at times we end up as a 'one person self contained aid project' - maybe not a bad alternative to volunteering and so you can do much (hopefully) good wherever you happen to be.

b.
It sounds like you are equating "volunteering" with organized projects - I think I am defining it more broadly, so that it includes "one person self-contained aid projects" - in fact, I think that at least half of the posts that were contributed for our Monkey's Fist topic were about one-off do-gooding: cruisers who were reaching out to fill a need - taking passport pictures for people who otherwise would have had to travel a long way, fixing sewing machines, having a bake sale to benefit a local animal shelter, and so on.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 14-07-2013, 17:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I've heard only good things about Sea Mercy.

What about using this model to host a veterinarian while cruising the Bahamas? - a spay/neuter program would could solve the "street dog" issues that some communities have.