Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 21:11   #91

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Vloggers hit an uncharted rock/reef in the Kimberleys

Easiest way is to download ovitalmap on to a tablet.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 23:13   #92

Boat: Amel 50

I've used SAS Planet and it helps. It needs a GPS antenna on the computer and a lot of planning to download Sat images ahead of time.

No matter what, I would never get anywhere close to badly charted areas at night, with bad visibility, or with the sun in my eyes. Anyone who has cruised Fiji knows this by heart...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 02:24   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I use Google Earth all the time to research harbors. I just copy the image and save them to folders. If there are clouds, use the date slider to change to one where it's clear. Love it and also don't understand why people don't use it more.
plus one for the google maps , in conjunction with navionics, but not ( yet ) overlayed , for coastal / port entry / mooring.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 11:54   #94

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
the entire east coast of Australia, Ashmore reef, Indonesia, cocos keeling, Christmas island, Chagos, Mauritius, Rodriguez, seychelles, Madagascar etc etc etc.
Are we lucky enough that any of your east coast Aus. is uploaded and available?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 13:57   #95

Boat: Southcoast 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I use Google Earth all the time to research harbors. I just copy the image and save them to folders. If there are clouds, use the date slider to change to one where it's clear. Love it and also don't understand why people don't use it more.
We used something similar a lot through the Kimberly and north Australia all outside internet range.

Been a while since I did it so details are hazy. Basically pre voyage and in Internet range using the laptop, looked over the route or particular location with google earth zoomed into the level of detail needed. That stores the imagery for those areas into a cache file located on the system somewhere in the google earth folder. You had to watch how much it stored as the cache file had a max size before it over wrote earliest data.

Then copied that cache file and stored it in a meaningful named folder. When offline on route copied that cache file back into the spot where it goes in Google earth and you have all the detailed imagery available to use in Google earth offline.

Could draw a route on Google earth, convert that into a file that goes into open cpn and the chart plotter so could plan routes from charts and imagery. Probably easier ways but we thought we were hi tech!

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 18:12   #96

Boat: Aloha 34

His latest and perhaps last video... so sad.

Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 19:40   #97

Boat: Roberts 45

Yes, very sad that he had to abandon ship in the end.

He tried everything he could but it was just too far away from the next town to have it towed back.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 21:54   #98

Boat: Island Packet 40

And if the uncharted rocks don't get you other things will.

Years ago Kevin Lane was anchored off an island in the Kimberlies when during the night there was an almighty crash and bump and when he dashed up on deck he found that a tsunami had lifted his multihull and deposited him onto the island where he had anchored.

He removed the rudders and sawed off the keels and using the various winches dragged the boat beck into the water over a period of weeks then sailed it to Darwin.

The Kimberly coast faces that of Java where earthquakes are common and tsunamis are generated.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 17:43   #99

Too bad for his boat.

Does anyone know if should expect to get a bill for the environmental damage caused by the boat?
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 18:57   #100
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That would be harsh in such a remote location
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 19:22   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That would be harsh in such a remote location
The local land owners and the Kimberley land council don't care about how harsh it seems, you make a mess in there back yard then someone is going to get the bill to clean it up, that's guaranteed, and if like this bloke you have shunned insurance then your going to have to dig deep somewhere to come up with the cash...... donations maybe?

You give up insurance then you have 100% responsibility to clean your mess up, no sympathy here...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 19:35   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thanks guys

I was thinking of a drone or a camera up the mast. I bought a $30 drone to see it I could learn to fly it. Ha, I must have crashed it 500 times for 3 minutes of uncontrolled flight. I see they have some drones for dummies now that take off automatically and follow you so there is hope.

The Kimberley Cruising Club has some really good information but I won't always be there.

I mentioned in another thread somewhere ? that there is a new 'underwater drone' for boaters out that one could use to prospect in daytime conditions. Of course this would need an operator for the drone and one on the helm unless the vessel is anchored in the area.
Old 29-11-2017, 19:39   #103
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Islandhopper
Would those lands be Private land or Government/Crown Land?

As most governments are the official Reciever of Wrecks, legally it would make a difference on claim procedures

My understanding was that the boat never made it to land but eventully settled on offshore rocks.

I would hope the Owner's well documented and valiant efforts to salvage his boat and minimize environmental damage with no outside support, would be considered as mitigating circumstances on assessing any claim against him.

The cost to the Government to clean up any broken debris or assist Owner in doing same by providing their assetts for him to remove cost effectively would be a far more human and a uniquely Australian "Mateness" approach to helping a guy when he is down.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 20:20   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Islandhopper
Would those lands be Private land or Government/Crown Land?

As most governments are the official Reciever of Wrecks, legally it would make a difference on claim procedures

My understanding was that the boat never made it to land but eventully settled on offshore rocks.

I would hope the Owner's well documented and valiant efforts to salvage his boat and minimize environmental damage with no outside support, would be considered as mitigating circumstances on assessing any claim against him.

The cost to the Government to clean up any broken debris or assist Owner in doing same by providing their assetts for him to remove cost effectively would be a far more human and a uniquely Australian "Mateness" approach to helping a guy when he is down.
Hi Pelagic,

70%+ of the land in the Kimberley's is Native Title, meaning that it is owned by the traditional Aboriginals, the same goes for the adjacent waters, you make a mess up there and there all over you, I spent enough years living and working up there to see it first hand.

As for as his well documented efforts? a few YouTube videos won't cut it, unless he has been in touch with the traditional owners/land council and explained his predicament he will be deemed to have just abandoned his mess and left it for someone else, and by all accounts he hasn't been in touch with any of them.

Instead of flying back to Queensland like he did, he should have gone to Broome and explained his predicament to the Kimberley Land Council, get in first instead of having them chase him, forget "mateship" you really don't want those guys on your case.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 20:35   #105

Islandhopper, thanks that's interesting.

Yikes, I guess he is going have some interesting follow up content for his YouTube series.
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote