Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 14:57   #31

Re: Vloggers hit an uncharted rock/reef in the Kimberleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Jetty and fire hydrant are "charted features", the reef here wasn't. True, there are possibilities to avoid such a crash - sailing only in daylight+high water, get a forward scanning sonar (!), etc.
Gtom, HelloSailor raised a good point, applicable to these types of threads.
Its time for all of us to take responsibility for groundings etc and stop looking to blame others.

At the moment , what is fact and what is fiction?

I have met this guy. It took me by surprise that the video posted , asking for money, appeared to be a recent event. I thought he must have successfully salvaged his boat or acquired a new one.

Then REPEAT.

There is NO internet coverage in the area of the wreck. Who walks around with a camera filming their demise? Two videos of the same incident have been posed some time apart . Alarm bells are ringing.

Asking for money , and not disclosing all the facts is a little..........
This point has been highlighted multiple times on Facebook and Youtube.
Old 03-11-2017, 18:54   #32

Boat: Bavaria Ocean 40

Peter and Maggie stayed on our boat in the marina in Darwin for a while so we have heard a bit of their story. They were rescued by the Caledonian Sky - one of the cruiseships that ply the Kimberley coast. The Caledonian Sky assisted in salvaging some gear. Peter spent some time assessing salvage options from Darwin - but too remote and too expensive. The boat was not insured. So Longreef has been abandoned. They were in quite a shell shocked state while in Darwin and have now headed over to the east coast.
Greg_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 19:11   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Greg,

Since you have spoken to them since the event, can you tell us approximately when and where the grounding actually occurred
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 19:26   #34

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Ha this is hilarious.

Ya'll been scammed.

Even the Facebook page isn't in real time.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sailingintofreedom/posts/

Just keep those donations flowing in.

Where’s the scam? This fellow lost his boat and some people want to help him.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 22:21   #35

Boat: Bavaria Ocean 40

We were contacted by the Caledonian Sky on 18th August to say they had Peter and Maggie on board and they were docking in Darwin soon. The grounding must have happened about a week prior to that as I believe they spent several days on the cabin roof waiting to be rescued. The area is replete with very large Saltwater crocodiles which are well known for attacking many Cruisers dinghy's.

It is somewhere on the eastern side of York Sound. I think they were heading for a location known as Rainforest Ravine.

We didn't get too much detail on location which is understandable while Peter was looking at salvage options. Our understanding is that they had originally intended to anchor near Cape Pond but that was not suitable and so decided to push on to another anchorage but strong tide against them left them short of daylight hours and trying to come into an anchorage at night.

I'm not passing any judgement on the decisions.
Greg_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 22:27   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I'm not passing any judgement on the decisions.
A good attitude for all of us who were not "walking in their moccasins".

Jim
Old 04-11-2017, 13:27   #37

Boat: Aloha 34

Good to hear the second hand updates, although I would have preferred to hear them from Pete himself. I do wish he would set the record straight, and stop posting old footage. I am heart broken for him and his dream. How very sad.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
. I do wish he would set the record straight, and stop posting old footage.
STRAIGHT??

How straight?

Its all about selling a product. Making money. Its entertainment. Its about someone else living your dream.Its about editing out the boring bits, surely one can find 10 minutes of sunshine in 100 hours of footage.

Heavily edited home movies about fish, scantily clad young women and clear water doesn't change the fact that sailing is a very expensive and uncomfortable way of traveling third class.

But.. we all know the grass is always greener....

I'm not sure anyone watching a vlog or reading facebook expects a "straight record"...... then agian

Its all about not getting caught lying and bursting the bubble.
Old 04-11-2017, 15:18   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
FROM THE BLOG,though probably describing events not quite of this current caliber
brings to mind the saying "there are old sailors,and there are bold sailors,but very few old,bold sailors"

Thou shalt engage in an activity that you are scared of at least once per day, week etc, whatever gets your heart pumping furiously. I call this therapy. I am not talking about a heart attack situation here although the closer you get to this I believe the better the therapy becomes. Whatever doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger, well, until it kills you of course. But then you are dead and it really doesn’t matter anymore. I try to get my heart pumping furiously as often as I can. Ya gotta love being scared and trying therapy! No drug comes close to that feeling. Sadly few of the younger generation get to experience that and turn to alternatives.

Today i am still recovering from 6 scary hours yesterday morning: heaviest weather my family have ever been caught out by. Lots of cleaning up of the wet cabin, bent stanchions etc, still to do. I never want to accidentally put my family in that situation again. I disagree that a no drug comes come close to that feeling: For me it was like the worst acid trip ever, and I'm still coming down. At least my husband who normally suffers anxiety was beautifully calm. Early on he took a little video when it was a little rough, and the kids and I were all feeling a bit sick, but there was no way anyone was capable of videoing when things got hairy yesterday. I haven't seen the Vlog yet - maybe i should watch it.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 22:24   #40

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Well that is two fine catamarans to go on the rocks this last couple of months without insurance. I would puke. Then my sweet little wife would offer a loaded gun with one bullet....

I am aghast at this knowledge. Knowing you have no insurance...wouldn't that induce you to take no risks with reefs and no visibility? These skippers must just be ripping themselves apart....
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 22:38   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Well that is two fine catamarans to go on the rocks this last couple of months without insurance. I would puke. Then my sweet little wife would offer a loaded gun with one bullet....

I am aghast at this knowledge. Knowing you have no insurance...wouldn't that induce you to take no risks with reefs and no visibility? These skippers must just be ripping themselves apart....
There, I fixed it for you

Insurance isn't an excuse to drop one's seamanship standards (IMO).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 23:14   #42

Boat: Various

I find it all a bit confusing. Reject air conditioning, generator, watermaker, refrigerator, and the civilized world in general and talk about how toxic and horrible it all is, but then film and post on an internet blog and facebook and solicit funds to pay for sailing and then to pay for accident. If one wants to support the writing effort, then that's fine, but I just find myself uncomfortable with the scenario. That's before considering the questionable sailing decisions or the fact capturing the show was the most urgent thing at the time of the accident.

If I thought he was seriously in need of food or medical care, then I'd be receptive. Funding his leisure pursuit, not so much.

As I said, I'm not condemning, to each their own, I do just find it all very confusing and am personally not impressed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There, I fixed it for you

Insurance isn't an excuse to drop one's seamanship standards (IMO).
Agreed. Insurance doesn't even cover all your financial losses, not to mention damage to human life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
Today i am still recovering from 6 scary hours yesterday morning: heaviest weather my family have ever been caught out by. Lots of cleaning up of the wet cabin, bent stanchions etc, still to do. I never want to accidentally put my family in that situation again. I disagree that a no drug comes come close to that feeling: For me it was like the worst acid trip ever, and I'm still coming down. At least my husband who normally suffers anxiety was beautifully calm. Early on he took a little video when it was a little rough, and the kids and I were all feeling a bit sick, but there was no way anyone was capable of videoing when things got hairy yesterday. I haven't seen the Vlog yet - maybe i should watch it.
Sounds serious Nikki, what did weather thrown on you wind/wave-wise? A 52'er is not a leaf on the water...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:20   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
glad to hear you made it!

any sport that pits man and machine against the elements entails a degree of risk.

planning,preparation and preparedness,go a long way to mitigating some of that risk,but sooner or later you will be challenged .

i hope you will not let this incident put you off being on the water,instead view it as a a challenge that you overcame.

after all, how many horse riders or cyclists would we have, if they gave up the sport after a fall.

and like the old pilots used to say "if you can walk away from the plane,it was a good landing.............."
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31   #45

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
glad to hear you made it!

any sport that pits man and machine against the elements entails a degree of risk.

planning,preparation and preparedness,go a long way to mitigating some of that risk,but sooner or later you will be challenged .

i hope you will not let this incident put you off being on the water,instead view it as a a challenge that you overcame.

after all, how many horse riders or cyclists would we have, if they gave up the sport after a fall.

and like the old pilots used to say "if you can walk away from the plane,it was a good landing.............."
Nice post. But isn't your last line also often said by owners of more traditional monohulls after docking? Except maybe more like "if it didn't result in a big yard bill and nobody died . . . ."
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote