Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 14:52   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
Vids from Brisbane Floods

Marina Pontoons Float away

Yacht Loses Power- Tugboat tries to save it.

Good luck to anyone on a boat in the river at the moment. Its not a great place to be.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 18:06   #2

more on the boat losses in Brisbane river

Debris, boats rage down Brisbane river

Cheers
Oz
Old 12-01-2011, 15:38   #3

Amazing tug boat work
24/7 Queensland floods info centre: updates, photos, advice and messages for loved ones | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au
Old 12-01-2011, 16:20   #4
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
Great work by the tug boat captain. It would not have caused much damage to the bridge but it would have wreaked havoc along those marinas if it hit them.

Unfortunately much of this is heading out to sea to become navigation hazards. One of the reasons I am delaying my trip from the Gold Coast seaway down to Port Stephens, there is way too much debris in the waters off the coast at the moment.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 17:31   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The thoughts of navigating through all of that debris when it gets beyond the mouth of the Brisbane River is scary. It reminds me of all the debris that we had to dodge when sailing south of Sri Lanka after the global tsunami.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 17:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Great work by the tug boat captain. It would not have caused much damage to the bridge but it would have wreaked havoc along those marinas if it hit them.

Unfortunately much of this is heading out to sea to become navigation hazards. One of the reasons I am delaying my trip from the Gold Coast seaway down to Port Stephens, there is way too much debris in the waters off the coast at the moment.
I dont think an initial impact would have caused too much damage either. However had it wrapped itself around the bases of the columns it would have gathered more and more debris. Increasings the loads on the bridge substancially. Imagine the size of the wave if that bridge came down and the havoc it would add to the city.

It looks like you may be stuck there for while Mav, by the sounds of it. That stuff will be off the coast for some time. Hope youre tucked in nice and safe there mate.

Cheers
Oz
Old 12-01-2011, 18:30   #7
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I dont think an initial impact would have caused too much damage either. However had it wrapped itself around the bases of the columns it would have gathered more and more debris. Increasings the loads on the bridge substancially. Imagine the size of the wave if that bridge came down and the havoc it would add to the city.

It looks like you may be stuck there for while Mav, by the sounds of it. That stuff will be off the coast for some time. Hope youre tucked in nice and safe there mate.

Cheers
Oz

The boat has a few weeks worth of repair work ahead of it yet, it is in the Runaway Bay marina so not affected by the flooding luckily.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 01:45   #8

Actually, i take back what I said about the pontoons not doind initial damage. Turns out they weigh a thousand tonnes. The river was running at 8-15knots. That impact could easily have been catastrophic. Either way its safe, luckily for the brisbane-ites.

Did you see the yacht that went under the lower bridge. Very sad footage.

I wouldnt want to be the skipper or crew on this one either.

Finally. A another tug boat in action saving a yacht. Note the tender at about the 1min 30sec mark

Cheers
Oz
Old 13-01-2011, 03:12   #9

Boat: TBA
Bribane River Flood

The authorities issued alerts and told "everyone" that had a boat in the river to get it out well before the river started to flood . unfortunately some of the owners got caught in the inital flooding and could not get to their boat to remove them. or were absent and didn't get the alert. its a pity that the pontoon owners didnt tie a rope or chain to the structure to secure it beforehand given the 48 hrs notice they received, some just floated off the top of the piles others were hit and overstressed by other debri but many could have been prevented from being sent down the river some carring their boats. i think that we will see a lot of opposition to the floating poontons in this river now and likely we will see restrictions because ( i would hope we don't ) of this. i saw a yacht sink in the river tonight , both on board we plucked to safety thankfully. the Marina in the mary river in Marybourgh north of brisbane was also demolished a week ago from debri floating into it, several boats were demolished some sunk and a few saved .

THankfully no one has lost a life from in the river incidents yet, but the drama's are not over for a few more days
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 04:08   #10

I guess that they plan for the worst. But then the worst turns out to be much greater than anticipated. Perhaps some underwater mooring blocks on long chain would have prevented the pontoons floating away. But who plans for a flood that affects 80 percent of the state?

I really hope that they dont prevent the pontoons in the future. They are an asset to the city. QLD has always been progressive unlike the southern states, who want epa approval to scratch your bum these days.. It would be good to see QLD stay that way.

As you said. Its fantastic that no lives have been lost in the river. Considering some of the footage, its just downright lucky too.

Cheers
Oz
Old 13-01-2011, 05:58   #11

I think I wil leave my boat in the marina for a month till the bay has less floating hazards..lots of fridges around at the moment. Helped with the clean up around Sandgate today.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I think I wil leave my boat in the marina for a month till the bay has less floating hazards..lots of fridges around at the moment. Helped with the clean up around Sandgate today.
Easily a month to be safe eh? There is going to be quite a lot of crap offshore for quite some time. Lets just hope that the developing cyclone up north doesnt add to the problem.

Cheers
Oz
Old 13-01-2011, 16:02   #13

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig
This video is incredibly sad

'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:34   #14

What a scary situation. Its pretty obvious by the look of that boat that it was his home. How sad. Gladly, it appears they were saved buy that last tinnie.

Cheers
Oz
Old 13-01-2011, 16:55   #15

That poor dude lost his home right there. If he could have cut his dinghy free he would still have had that but the yacht took it down. What a video. Nice post. Sorry for that dude.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane