Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 13:32   #1

Vacuum Sealer?

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a specific vacuum sealer? I can foresee using it to store food, as well as small spare parts that need to be kept corrosion free while sitting in a locker for a couple of years. Any ideas? Thanks.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 14:42   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
My wife uses one call the Food Saver. She has been using it for the last few months, she loves it. It cam recommended to us from a friend that has been using savers for years.

I like it because it is large enought to bag my spare starter and alternator. As I get the rest of my spares they to will be "pickled" using it.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 14:45   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Any vacuum seal is compromised if it is oily when sealed. That makes it tough to protect spare parts, since if they aren’t protected, even the small amount of moisture left in the bag can cause corrosion.

I suggest you pack them clean and dry with a small piece of VIP (vapor inhibitor paper). I used to use this stuff in industry for packaging spare parts for the aircraft industry and it works amazingly well.

To learn more see the information at http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/24545

An internet search will then probably turn up places where an individual can buy it. It is fairly expensive, but a small piece is all that is needed for most applications so the cost is not prohibitive.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 16:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Oiled” parts, & oily food etc, go into a regular plastic baggie - then baggie /w parts inside is vacuum sealed.
And/or use a vapor inhibitor (or desiccant) per Sunspot Baby.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 19:09   #5

vacuum sealer

We use Reber vacuum sealer and have found it very good to cyrovac food, parts and electronics.I even vacuum sealed a spare starter motor(perkins deisel) and alternator.A word of warning make sure that when you buy a unit that it will vac and seal large bags. Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 19:45   #6

vacuum sealer

try this link http:// Greg.
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 19:48   #7

It looks like most vacuum sealers use rolls of plastic tube. So you can make/seal bags that are as long as a roll. So what is the largest width bag that is practical to use on a boat? In other words, when you say use large bags, how large is large?
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 14:21   #8

There's an issue with the seal if you have lubricant in the bag??

I did not know that. I just pulled some of my parts, they have only been in there about 2 months or so, I don't SEE any issue
I sprayed the parts with WD40 rather liberally when I sealed them. Perhaps the seal degrades over time. I will seal another bag over them.

Keith
Old 12-10-2005, 15:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keith:
Don’t worry about re-bagging ~ the sealing issue is in the initial fusing . The oil prevents the plastic from sealing properly. If it’s actually fused - it should stay ok (I don't believe the seals degrade over time - though the plastic may).
Of course, go ahead and re-bag, if it helps you sleep.

Old 12-10-2005, 16:20   #10

I will leave it as it is for now. I'll just make sure I check it on a monthly basis or so. I will make make sure I pay closer attention to the sealing in the future.

Keith
Old 13-10-2005, 21:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
We have a Tilia brand FoodSaver as well; I have used it for ferrous spare parts, electronic parts and components of the liferaft ditch bag, but I must admit we mostly use it for its intended purpose: sealing food.

It's amazing how long stuff lasts, and many things (e.g. a wheel or block of cheese) that normally require refrigeration can be kept quite happily in the bilge. If you get the (proprietary) tube bags at Costco or Sam's, they're no more expensive than ziplocks, can be reused several times, and even cooked in (a la Seal-a-Meal bags).

Mr. Tilia must be a very wealthy man.
Old 14-10-2005, 01:12   #12

Has anybody tried sealing a box of eggs in a vac bag to see how long they last?

Surely this must be better than coating them in vaseline to get a 5 week life.
Old 15-10-2005, 13:34   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
rotten eggs

We vaselined our, fresh from the chicken, eggs and they lasted way longer than 5 weeks. My wife finally got worried about the eggs and used them up in a cake or something around 6 months after purchase. They were still edible, just her nerve gave out.

Same went for Mayonaise.

We have had some issues with our food saver sealing properly. If you do get oil/liquid on the part of the bag that is the seal the seal may not fuse properly. It can also fail to seal if there is a small crease/fold in the area where your trying to effect a seal. You'll know within a relatively short time as the bag will re-inflate instead of staying sucked into the contents. You can often put it back in the machine and get a proper seal. To be safe we run our stuff through the sealer a second time. Just move the bag a little bit so you aren't trying to seal over the same spot and use the 'instant seal' control.

Putting oily parts or food in an el cheapo plastic bag before sealing is an excellent idea.

If the seal is done properly, there should be no problems with corrosion as there is precious little Oxygen to cause rust. WD 40 is a moisture displacer but a poor lubricant and rust preventive. LPS3 or other rust inhibitor with a waxy content is a much better protector from rust. Still not as good as just putting the parts in the seal a meal, however.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 19:56   #14
Kai Nui

Another vote for the food saver.
We talked to a couple who passed through cruising south about storing tools. They have made bags from Sunbrella for all of their tools, and have had no rust problems in a year's time. They are storing them in the bilge. Sounds logical, but I have not tried it myself.
Old 16-10-2005, 02:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maggie will tell you that I am a “pack rat”. Asked if Gord might have a specific tool aboard, Maggie has replied that:
- If it’s a tool Gord actually uses, he’ll have 3 of them.
- If he thinks he knows how to use it, he’ll have 2.
- If he has no idea how to use it, he might restrict himself to just one.

Notwithstanding - I suspect that most people won’t cruise with very many tools that they use so seldom, that it would be practical to seal them for preservation. Excepting a very few specialty items, tools are not “artifacts” which we preserve for posterity; but implements of common usage.

I don’t recommend storing most tools in even a “dry” bilge, sealed or not.

I like the “Pelican” cases (& everything they make), for tool & instrument storage.
http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html
With the Desiccant (Silica Gel) Cat. # 1500D

I also use “Tool Bags”, such as (but not exactly) those the Duluth Trading Company lists at:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/o...ers/35619.aspx
Waterproof Tool Bag Item #35619 ($24.99)