Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2018, 06:53   #121
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Using headphones on night watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Your graphic tells the story. Ships can be anywhere. There are no lanes per se. Certainly there are locations you are likely to see more ships.

I see ships mid ocean. Why don't you?

If you only sail in fair weather with easy "weather windows" then yes, Great Circles are the norm. When conditions develop to become more sporty you'll see weather diversions.
I see ships midocean, just very rarely. Maybe average once a week, and then often they will have done a dogleg to give you more sea room before they even appear over the horizon. The wonders of electronics and a ggod radar return

Converting marinetrafficdensity images into Kap files for opencpn can help push the probabilities even more in your favour.

Each to their own but relaxing dogmatic "my way" rules a little in the middle of an empty ocean with watchkeeping aided by some electronics isn't that big a deal IMHO. But then, I'm a single hander.
How can you get a weather window to cross an ocean??
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:25   #122

They are a distraction to what you should be doing. A simple slip up the crew could be lost. I had a past coworker with buds in walk in front of a truck he was a top shelf person in all accounts. May he rest in peace
redwood1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:35   #123

Not being a sailor, I would have thought a light on the mast and radar would be standard equipment.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:19   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Not being a sailor, I would have thought a light on the mast and radar would be standard equipment.
Mast Light is, radar optional, but most have., but does not mean everyone uses them. Including the US NAVY, AND USCG. Pending on their operatoins
Many times we went darken ship trying to sneak up on smugglers, and the US Navy many times been caught not paying attention, for I kept a DDG from colliding with a fishing vessel. And they had 10 doing what 2 of us were doing.
Semper Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:20   #125

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
How can you get a weather window to cross an ocean??

Which was in fact my point - a little subtle as I didn't want to offend anyone. Florida to the Bahamas, Norfolk to Bahamas, Newport to Bermuda, the hop to Catalina Island, working down through the Bahamas to the Leeward Islands and beyond - many people consider that "offshore" and all are within the scope of a reasonable 96 hour (I'm a synoptic guy - sue me *grin*) weather window.

Beyond that there will be surprises. That isn't to say we shouldn't be watching for patterns in the tropics and pour over weather fax every morning underway. The reality is we can make some adjustments but mostly for big weather events we can only get ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Except in extremis light at night is bad. Radar is not standard but is increasingly common; radar is a good thing. So is AIS. So are good charts. So are the knowledge and skills to pilot and navigate. (*sigh*)
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 13:07   #126
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Which was in fact my point - a little subtle as I didn't want to offend anyone. Florida to the Bahamas, Norfolk to Bahamas, Newport to Bermuda, the hop to Catalina Island, working down through the Bahamas to the Leeward Islands and beyond - many people consider that "offshore" and all are within the scope of a reasonable 96 hour (I'm a synoptic guy - sue me *grin*) weather window.

Beyond that there will be surprises. That isn't to say we shouldn't be watching for patterns in the tropics and pour over weather fax every morning underway. The reality is we can make some adjustments but mostly for big weather events we can only get ready.
OK, makes sense. Back to the discussion I was thinking more of mid ocean when you might not have even so much as touched a sheet for a week and seen nothing but water and maybe some shearwaters. If the weather was such that ships were altering course from the well trodden routes shown on the marinetraffic ais density image then doubt if I'd be relaxing in the cockpit with one earplug in and a podcast
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 13:47   #127

Boat: CT 54

Quote:
Your graphic tells the story. Ships can be anywhere. There are no lanes per se. Certainly there are locations you are likely to see more ships.

I see ships mid ocean. Why don't you?

If you only sail in fair weather with easy "weather windows" then yes, Great Circles are the norm. When conditions develop to become more sporty you'll see weather diversions.
I'm just interested in knowing what oceans do you sail?
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:07   #128

Not on my boat! Concentration MUST be 100% on watchstanding duties.
Aukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:17   #129

Boat: wildcat catamaran 35

Hearing is part of being on watch like a air horn from another boat the snap of a piece of rigging the call for help or engine alarm could go on and on but I personally would not wear them.
Good luck smooth sailing.
wildcat35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:20   #130

I been asked if I could get the Boat I want where would I go.

I tell them South Pacific.

WHY? If you think it is ok to listen to music with a head phone, I do not want my boat near you..

I been in a collision at sea, I been on a ship on fire at sea. There is a reason why in the military headphones are ban underway. Not all commands ban them, but the better ones do.
Old 16-06-2018, 14:40   #131

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

^^^^^
Why is it that the earbud haters all make the same assumption that they are jammed in both ears and cranked to max volume?

Its a simple process to use one and have it on low volume so as to still hear what's going on around you.
Did that ever cross your mind?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:10   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
^^^^^
Why is it that the earbud haters all make the same assumption that they are jammed in both ears and cranked to max volume?

Its a simple process to use one and have it on low volume so as to still hear what's going on around you.
Maybe we seen the results of it....... Why cant you play your music low and it would not disturb those below in the cabin, and YOU HAVE BOTH EARS OPEN..... That the smarter play
Old 16-06-2018, 15:18   #133

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
Maybe we seen the results of it....... Why cant you play your music low and it would not disturb those below in the cabin, and YOU HAVE BOTH EARS OPEN..... That the smarter play
I do have my music low.
Do you really expect me to believe that naval and commercial vessels can hear what's going on outside when they have engines running and are buttoned up inside an enclosed wheelhouse several levels above the water?

I know I can't, even if I had zero music and the wheelhouse doors open I doubt I would hear much happening out there.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:23   #134

Boat: CT 54

Quote:
^^^^^

Exactly what I have been trying to say all along, it seems to me that a lot on here are just way too scared, and should not be out in the ocean in the first place.
Yes if I was a skipper or crewing on another persons boat I would respect their
rules, but on our boat we do as we please, we have never put ourselves or anyone else's lives in danger, and heaven forbid, we might enjoy ourselves on those long lonely passages.
As for following all those rules and regulations, is that not why we go cruising for to get away from all the hype and live our own lives as free as we want to be.
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:26   #135

Quote:
I do have my music low.
Do you really expect me to believe that naval and commercial vessels can hear what's going on outside when they have engines running and are buttoned up inside an enclosed wheelhouse several levels above the water?

I know I can't, even if I had zero music and the wheelhouse doors open I doubt I would hear much happening out there.
Button up? LMAO, in the Bering sea doors open 24/7. In Snow storms, rain storms. Plus had lookout standing out side. Only one that buttons up is Submarines

We hear alot. And we do have alot going on. 4 to 5 uhf,hf, plus 2 vhf radios, but if the engines burped we knew it before engine room yells up. Fog horn sounds in the distance we were asking the look outs. Always hearing the seagulls, water spraying and bells on buoys.

So maybe instead of Head set maybe hearing aids....

Tags
head, phone