Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 00:05   #181

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Using headphones on night watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post
What exactly are you able to hear outside in rough conditions?? That is actually the best time to use headphones...
Maybe miss an AIS or RADAR zone alarm from your favorite chart plotter if you are dozing with headphones on the helm?
Old 22-07-2018, 01:23   #182

Boat: Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Maybe miss an AIS or RADAR zone alarm from your favorite chart plotter if you are dozing with headphones on the helm?

No, I'm listening to a book, not dozing.
And further:
1/my boat steers herself
2/my Ais alarm is 105dB loud, it is rather hard to miss... (put Metallica on full and then stand under working alarm siren - you won't be able to hear Metallica )
3/don't have a radar, it is a low energy boat...
4/don't have a chart plotter- prefer paper
5/oh, btw, I'm sailing solo... being awake on the deck beats the hell of sleeping time awareness
6/and still, napping in busier (not really busy, there is no sleep, but not empty) areas I have probably a better lookout than most crewed boats. All thanks to a nap timer on a loop with another 105dB siren mounted next to the companionway no way to oversleep and if I got to companionway I'll look around (btw, you quickly learn to wake up minute earlier to reset it, this level of sound is painful). And that's every 20 to 30 minutes. Plus above mentioned alarms on AIS. Plus sailing mainly at least few hundred miles offshore...
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 02:43   #183

Good for you. Some audio books are so monotone and boring, best for falling asleep. The normal alarm beeper is easy to be overheared. A siren may be a good gadget.
Old 22-07-2018, 03:12   #184

Boat: Tiki 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Good for you. Some audio books are so monotone and boring, best for falling asleep. The normal alarm beeper is easy to be overheared. A siren may be a good gadget.

Most certainly it is not a gadget
Quite popular among solo sailors at least on this side of the pond, I've got mine after testing one at my colleagues playing with Fígaros.
You can now actually buy a timer like that from at least one source, Solo Sails in the U.K. - Andrew is a solo racer who now got stuck on land and provides us with invaluable advice and help

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3465.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	174066
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 03:15   #185

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Boredom.

This is my opinion. Take it for what you’ve paid for it.

The first time I came across the phrase “weeks of boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror” was in the book Blow Negative which I read as a young submarine sailor. It’s a fictional account of life on diesel submarines. I’ve seen the phrase numerous times since.

I was immediately intrigued by the phrase because it captures the essence of engaging in an activity where you’re surrounded by potential energy that can kill you and your shipmates instantly if the boundaries holding it back are breached, but the energy is usually kept in place by robust engineering and materials, and well developed procedures and practices of well trained watchstanders.

Those boundaries can be breached in numerous ways. Little can be done about a catastrophic breach without warning, but because most systems are over-engineered, that type of failure is infrequent.

Significantly more likely are failures from cascading small faults,improper operation of systems, and poor watchstanding. Watchstanders prevent these kinds of failures.

So...since days and days of routine can generate boredom, how do you fight it?

You fight it by being bored while off watch. While on watch, the life of the ship and crew are in your hands. It’s up to you to note the small faults before they cascade and to operate systems professionally. Installing a boom preventer can be boring. Replacing one that’s chafed and can fail can be boring. Inspecting the standing rigging and finding nothing wrong seventeen times in a row can be boring. Dismasting due to failure to prevent a uncontrolled gybe or due to a missing clevis pin keeper generates sheer terror.

A bored watchstander is an unsafe watchstander. If you’re bored, train yourself. Learn something about your ship, the sea, and what duty really means. Use all your senses to keep the off watch safe. Their lives are in your hands.

A bored watchstander should be ashore.

Leave the ear buds in your bunk.

How many watchstanders were bored on Fitzgerald? McCain?
One of the best posts, no the best post, I've read in a long time. Their life, and your life, is in your hands. Curiosity is key to great watch keeping. What's that light? What's that noise? What's that smell? Why did the AIS bleep and then shut-up? What's that gurgle in the bilge? Why's the jib flapping when the main's pulling?
Not often a post changes my opinion. I might have to leave the IQ buds in my bunk.

We're heading out Lady Musgrave tomorrow or the next day when we drop back in off the hard stand at Bundaberg Marina. Forecast is 5 knots variable, neap tides, midnight low tide (no swell over the reef). Heaven is messing around on a boat.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:29   #186

Boat: 2004 Hunter 456 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to seafox9

YES! What’s your life and the lives of others worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniia View Post
And do you really expect that solo sailors do not sleep at all?

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.
seafox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:39   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox9 View Post
YES! What’s your life and the lives of others worth?
There is no way as solo sailor to be able to do maneuvers or sane decisions if you not allow your body to recover by some sleep. Electronics and a suitable watch schedule must allow some nap, so you are fit for the next challenge.

Most of the ime you are alone out there, and you are so slow under way, Radar and AIS give you plenty of time to react upon an approaching vessel.
Old 22-07-2018, 04:40   #188

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Hmm. I typically can't hear much over the sound of the hull through the water and wind in the sails when in the cockpit of any boat I've sailed. Off shift and below deck in my bunk, the sounds of other boat's engines, our rigging, sails flogging, bilge pump, engine, autopilot, vhf.... just about everything is amplified and readily apparent. Maybe I should just stay below deck and listen my whole shift?

Matt
Old 22-07-2018, 04:59   #189

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Any support for enjoying the sights and sounds at sea?
Norm on Averisera
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:59   #190
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Boredom.

This is my opinion. Take it for what you’ve paid for it.

The first time I came across the phrase “weeks of boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror” was in the book Blow Negative which I read as a young submarine sailor. It’s a fictional account of life on diesel submarines. I’ve seen the phrase numerous times since.

I was immediately intrigued by the phrase because it captures the essence of engaging in an activity where you’re surrounded by potential energy that can kill you and your shipmates instantly if the boundaries holding it back are breached, but the energy is usually kept in place by robust engineering and materials, and well developed procedures and practices of well trained watchstanders.

Those boundaries can be breached in numerous ways. Little can be done about a catastrophic breach without warning, but because most systems are over-engineered, that type of failure is infrequent.

Significantly more likely are failures from cascading small faults,improper operation of systems, and poor watchstanding. Watchstanders prevent these kinds of failures.

So...since days and days of routine can generate boredom, how do you fight it?

You fight it by being bored while off watch. While on watch, the life of the ship and crew are in your hands. It’s up to you to note the small faults before they cascade and to operate systems professionally. Installing a boom preventer can be boring. Replacing one that’s chafed and can fail can be boring. Inspecting the standing rigging and finding nothing wrong seventeen times in a row can be boring. Dismasting due to failure to prevent a uncontrolled gybe or due to a missing clevis pin keeper generates sheer terror.

A bored watchstander is an unsafe watchstander. If you’re bored, train yourself. Learn something about your ship, the sea, and what duty really means. Use all your senses to keep the off watch safe. Their lives are in your hands.

A bored watchstander should be ashore.

Leave the ear buds in your bunk.

How many watchstanders were bored on Fitzgerald? McCain?
Yes, by far the best summation of the real and grave responsibility of maintaining a good lookout on watch.

There have been those complaining of "inflexible" standards, citing all kinds of reasons for not being as attentive during your watch as you possibly can be.

To me, this suggests a weak, wishy washy skipper, who doesn't know or care to set a high standard of example by himself....and to try and enforce those same non negotiable standards on the rest of the crew.

Therefore, they hide behind a smug, cool, liberal belief, that electronics and a reasonable amount of luck, will keep all souls on board safe.

I often listen to the excuses after an "unlucky" incident and wonder.... what responsibility do you take?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:03   #191
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

^^As the person complaining of inflexible standards, I have to accuse you of misunderstanding me. My position is that something to listen to allows you to stay alert enough to keep a good watch; and if you've paid any attention you'll know that I don't rely on ANY electronic watchkeeping alarms or screens.
If you want to righteously slander those who rely on screens and alarms to do their watchkeeping for them, kindly leave my language out of it. I am a big proponent of watchkeeping by eye, by wakefulness, by situational awareness, by common sense and good judgment. But to borrow my phrase and misapply it to things I disagree with, then lump all of it as wishy-washy, is dishonest of you.
Old 23-07-2018, 14:14   #192

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi. View Post
One of the best posts, no the best post, I've read in a long time. Their life, and your life, is in your hands. Curiosity is key to great watch keeping. What's that light? What's that noise? What's that smell? Why did the AIS bleep and then shut-up? What's that gurgle in the bilge? Why's the jib flapping when the main's pulling?
Not often a post changes my opinion. I might have to leave the IQ buds in my bunk.
Everything mention there bar one , possibly two is eyes and nose NOT ears.

For me, the gurgling in the bilge will never be heard, doubt it would be on any boat I have owned but the shrieking bilge alarm would be. Eyes and regular inspection should get issues prior.

AIS beep, if I had one, would still be heard as I only have one earbud in.
Same for depth, engine temp, off course alarm etc BUT all these would likely be picked up by eyes first.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:23   #193
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
On a clear night, out at sea, I've used them to pass the time. Your eyes are the primary watching tool. If a ship can get close enough on a clear night that its engine is the first thing that gives it away, you have failed as a watchstander. Near the coast in fog I wouldn't, mostly because I've got an ear open for the vhf and for fog signals.
I to, enjoy quietly listening to soft music at night.

Seems that the only part we differ on, is inserting earplugs in the ears, to block out other sounds.

I would not allow that!
Old 24-07-2018, 12:40   #194

What are talking about here. A pleasure boat? or a commercial voyage?

I don't like headphones. I prefer not to wear them. I enjoy a night a sea on watch with just the sounds on the boat and the sea.
My kids are plugged in to an I pod or something most of the time. If not its a computer.

I assume its a pleasure voyage.
If you want to listen to headphones go ahead. My view at least you are on watch. Or listen to music. So long as you don't disturb the off watch.

You are still way ahead of the selfish A hole who thinks its ok to go to sleep.

PS My wife is hard of hearing my niece is also. Neither would pass a medical for commercial watch keeping. Head phones or not they will not hear much.

Should I let them take a watch? I do.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 14:14   #195
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post

What are talking about here. A pleasure boat? or a commercial voyage?
When it comes to safety, why do you consider the two....different?

Tags
head, phone