Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2018, 15:35   #136

Re: Using headphones on night watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Scrubber View Post
Exactly what I have been trying to say all along, it seems to me that a lot on here are just way too scared, and should not be out in the ocean in the first place.
Yes if I was a skipper or crewing on another persons boat I would respect their
rules, but on our boat we do as we please, we have never put ourselves or anyone else's lives in danger, and heaven forbid, we might enjoy ourselves on those long lonely passages.
As for following all those rules and regulations, is that not why we go cruising for to get away from all the hype and live our own lives as free as we want to be.
When you blocking even one ear you are sir putting others in danger.. Seen it in real life. But if you want to be the reason some family is killed that your business
Semper Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:42   #137

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
Button up? LMAO, in the Bering sea doors open 24/7. In Snow storms, rain storms. Plus had lookout standing out side. Only one that buttons up is Submarines

We hear alot. And we do have alot going on. 4 to 5 uhf,hf, plus 2 vhf radios, but if the engines burped we knew it before engine room yells up. Fog horn sounds in the distance we were asking the look outs. Always hearing the seagulls, water spraying and bells on buoys.

So maybe instead of Head set maybe hearing aids....

Great for you when you were in a navy with unlimited taxpayers money to pay for crew and equipment but.......you are not in the navy now and recreational boaters and even commercial vessels don't have unlimited resources so you have to get down off your pedestal and accept that the real world is different.
That means for us on most night passages, unless warm, doors shut and one on watch.
On all passages, engine noise whilst low, is still enough to drown out outside sound.
I can still hear what the boat and engines are doing, easily, with one earbud in.
Clearly, I don't need hearing aids.

Given your expectations of watch keeping described above I doubt you'll ever be able to go to sea in a non naval capacity, especially short handed on your own vessel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:51   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Great for you when you were in a navy with unlimited taxpayers money to pay for crew and equipment but.......you are not in the navy now and recreational boaters and even commercial vessels don't have unlimited resources so you have to get down off your pedestal and accept that the real world is different.
That means for us on most night passages, unless warm, doors shut and one on watch.
On all passages, engine noise whilst low, is still enough to drown out outside sound.
1 Please do not insult me calling me a NAVY SAILOR. It only takes 2 of my crew to do what it takes the Navy to do with 10.

I served in the USCG. 13 years 9 onboard Cutters, seen babies killed a 5 year old killed, entire crew went down. Sent 127 out of 128 Chinese back to China, and many millions of drugs and drug money seized. Not to mention the thousands of dollars in fines over stupid **** like head phone while on watch

So try to think of it this way, I am trying to save your money......
Old 16-06-2018, 15:54   #139

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Scrubber View Post
I'm just interested in knowing what oceans do you sail?

Touched many but only Atlantic crossings. Med, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean but those are just seas.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 16:00   #140

Quote:

You are not saving me anything.

And my point stands,
Given your expectations of watch keeping described above I doubt you'll ever be able to go to sea in a non CG capacity, especially short handed on your own vessel.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:03   #141

Quote:
There was only a few times when the command allowed radio broadcasted throughout the ship. 1. When the USSR Shot down the Korean AirLiner, we were pulling into Anchorage ALaska, When the Space Craft Challenger blew up, was pulling int GITMO then, And 3 times to bust the Navy's butt after clean sweet at raftra
Old 16-06-2018, 16:10   #142

Quote:
You are not saving me anything.

And my point stands,
Given your expectations of watch keeping described above I doubt you'll ever be able to go to sea in a non CG capacity, especially short handed on your own vessel.
No I not been yet. Hear researching for a future purchase. But when i do I will not be short handed. Know many fellow coasties like my self who miss going to sea.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:13   #143

Quote:
There was only a few times when the command allowed radio broadcasted throughout the ship. 1. When the USSR Shot down the Korean AirLiner, we were pulling into Anchorage ALaska, When the Space Craft Challenger blew up, was pulling int GITMO then, And 3 times to bust the Navy's butt after clean sweet at raftra
Again, just because the military did something one way does not mean it applies to the real world.

You will never untie your own boat if you can't accept this reality.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:55   #144

Quote:
Again, just because the military did something one way does not mean it applies to the real world.

You will never untie your own boat if you can't accept this reality.
Fine what ever, but remember when the COAST GUARD BOARD YOU AND FINE YOU FOR HAVING A HEADSET ON.. You been warned!!!! When I get my boat please let me know where you re so I can get away from an SAFE BOATER!!!!!
Old 16-06-2018, 17:00   #145

Quote:
Fine what ever, but remember when the COAST GUARD BOARD YOU AND FINE YOU FOR HAVING A HEADSET ON.. You been warned!!!! When I get my boat please let me know where you re so I can get away from an SAFE BOATER!!!!!
I am in Australia where we have no such idiotic laws or people with nothing better to do than board boats and fine people for little or no reason and thankfuly, most of the world is the same
Old 16-06-2018, 17:02   #146

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
1 Please do not insult me calling me a NAVY SAILOR. It only takes 2 of my crew to do what it takes the Navy to do with 10.

I served in the USCG. 13 years 9 onboard Cutters, seen babies killed a 5 year old killed, entire crew went down. Sent 127 out of 128 Chinese back to China, and many millions of drugs and drug money seized. Not to mention the thousands of dollars in fines over stupid **** like head phone while on watch

Good grief... You were more credible when you stuck to seamanship vs headphones. I respect the CG, and thank you for serving, but all this crap about dead babies and drug money seized and inter service rivalry is pretty silly and certainly not relevant to the wearing of headphones on watch.

As for me, I tried an ipod with audio books when on watch far out to sea. It was enjoyable and made our 6 hour watches go by quickly, but I was subconsciously uncomfortable and soon stopped the practice. I'm not sure what caused the discomfort, for objectively I felt that I was attentive and taking care of business, but something niggled at me, so I quit.

As to the watchkeeping standards of professional seamen, well, I think it varies hugely. For instance, in the well chronicled collision between Jessica Watson and the Chinese ship, the "professional" watchstanding crew consisted of one junior officer and one AB. They were ensconced in the bridge, doors closed, shooting the breeze (as recorded on the bridge voice recorder), and not paying much attention to anything, let alone subtle sounds from outside. And this was in the approach zone for a major port, in an area with lots of fishing and recreational vessels about. Compared to this (I suspect common) level of seamanship, the headphone issue seems trivial.

Short handed amateur crews, like the many cruising couples who are actively sailing our seas, will never achieve the level of watchkeeping that good professional crews do. They have neither the sophisticated equipment, nor the height of eye, nor the stability of platform nor the professional training that ship's crews have (or should have) let alone the numbers of available eyes. Yet they generally succeed in making safe passages. Some come to grief, and sometimes due to lack of competent watchkeeping, but the fraction is very very small. It would be interesting to compare the relative frequency of collisions between the merchant fleet and the cruising fleet. I'd bet the cruisers come out on top!

And for those who piously declare "100% pure concentration on MY boat" and the like, well, if you actually do go on passage, I'd bet that even your standards slip a bit in mid ocean. Too bad we don't have cockpit recorders on our yachts, for the evidence might be interesting.

Jim
Old 16-06-2018, 17:18   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good grief... You were more credible when you stuck to seamanship vs headphones. I respect the CG, and thank you for serving, but all this crap about dead babies and drug money seized and inter service rivalry is pretty silly and certainly not relevant to the wearing of headphones on watch.

As for me, I tried an ipod with audio books when on watch far out to sea. It was enjoyable and made our 6 hour watches go by quickly, but I was subconsciously uncomfortable and soon stopped the practice. I'm not sure what caused the discomfort, for objectively I felt that I was attentive and taking care of business, but something niggled at me, so I quit.

As to the watchkeeping standards of professional seamen, well, I think it varies hugely. For instance, in the well chronicled collision between Jessica Watson and the Chinese ship, the "professional" watchstanding crew consisted of one junior officer and one AB. They were ensconced in the bridge, doors closed, shooting the breeze (as recorded on the bridge voice recorder), and not paying much attention to anything, let alone subtle sounds from outside. And this was in the approach zone for a major port, in an area with lots of fishing and recreational vessels about. Compared to this (I suspect common) level of seamanship, the headphone issue seems trivial.

Short handed amateur crews, like the many cruising couples who are actively sailing our seas, will never achieve the level of watchkeeping that good professional crews do. They have neither the sophisticated equipment, nor the height of eye, nor the stability of platform nor the professional training that ship's crews have (or should have) let alone the numbers of available eyes. Yet they generally succeed in making safe passages. Some come to grief, and sometimes due to lack of competent watchkeeping, but the fraction is very very small. It would be interesting to compare the relative frequency of collisions between the merchant fleet and the cruising fleet. I'd bet the cruisers come out on top!

And for those who piously declare "100% pure concentration on MY boat" and the like, well, if you actually do go on passage, I'd bet that even your standards slip a bit in mid ocean. Too bad we don't have cockpit recorders on our yachts, for the evidence might be interesting.

Jim
Maybe I was putting a point out there. Thought of that? I only stated what I seen in real life. He asked about my service.

If you read other post I replied to in this tread, I have save a Navy DDG from Colliding with a Fishing vessel. Why that happen? Bridge not paying attention, CIC (Combat Information Center) not doing their job. Same reason the 2 DDG was in a collision last year

And you can not pay 100% attention with a head set on even just 1 ear.
Old 16-06-2018, 18:46   #148

Quote:
Maybe I was putting a point out there. Thought of that? I only stated what I seen in real life. He asked about my service.

If you read other post I replied to in this tread, I have save a Navy DDG from Colliding with a Fishing vessel. Why that happen? Bridge not paying attention, CIC (Combat Information Center) not doing their job. Same reason the 2 DDG was in a collision last year

And you can not pay 100% attention with a head set on even just 1 ear.
Weeeeeeeeee
Its the gift that keeps on giving
Old 16-06-2018, 19:05   #149

Boat: wildcat catamaran 35

Quote:
^^^^^
Why is it that the earbud haters all make the same assumption that they are jammed in both ears and cranked to max volume?

Its a simple process to use one and have it on low volume so as to still hear what's going on around you.
Did that ever cross your mind?
Not a hater of ear buds,but the safety of my life and others I put before ear buds.
wildcat35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 19:26   #150

Quote:
Weeeeeeeeee
Its the gift that keeps on giving
What ever. You said you are from down under? Figured so, Most argont fellow I know are from there// So I will stay away from there.. My safety mean more to me than your desire for ear plugs

Tags
head, phone