Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 18:33   #1

Using a cpap machine on boat

I have a friend joining me for a couple days of sailing next weekend. If the weather cooperates, we will spend a night at anchor. My friend uses a cpap machine and I am wondering if anyone has experience using a cpap machine while on the house battery bank thru an inverter.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Silverbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:10   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Using a cpap machine on boat

Went on a delivery with a guy that used one. Everthing sould function normally, just like any other equipment or appliance, if your battery bank, inverter and charging capabilities can handle it. I'm not sure how power hungry they might be though.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-10-2014, 19:38   #3

Holding tank and battery placement Mac 26D/S - Page 2 - SailboatOwners.com

Click on Sum's MacGregor link for more details, IIRC.

Should be OK if you have a big enough house bank, which you didn't explain at all.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:52   #4

Boat: Looking!

I used CPAP on my O'Day for two years. They barely draw any watts. Would suggest that you buy an inverter a little larger than what you need in case you need 110 for something else. Plan on direct wire to battery pole connection. The small clips provide very poor connection and often times fall off at the wrong moment. Al
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I use a CPAP, power consumption depends on the machine, if you use the humidifier it up to 60W, if there is a heated hose, even higher, so that is a lot of power.
However it's usually pretty humid on a boat of course, so he probably can do without the humidifier, the heated hose is to keep the water from condensing in the hose and raining as it's called in the mask
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 22:33   #6

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi

Just got my cpap machine and it varies each night, but the most I used was 45 amp hours overnight running on the 1000W inverter with 400 amp hours in the battery bank. Best sleep for ages for both Captain and Admiral.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 23:10   #7

Most of these units have an optional 12 volt plug in and there is no reason to need an inverter. If you go this route and don't turn the humidifier up too far you shouldn't use more than about 25 amp hours a night depending on the unit.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:17   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient sue View Post
Hi

Just got my cpap machine and it varies each night, but the most I used was 45 amp hours overnight running on the 1000W inverter with 400 amp hours in the battery bank. Best sleep for ages for both Captain and Admiral.

Cheers Sue

Sue, that seems really rather a high figure. Most 12v units use less than half that unless they are set to a very high pressure. Any chance you are using an inverter to power a transformer that subsequently puts out 12v?

Also, most machines draw a significantly higher power initially to start the fan motor (up to 100 watts) before settling to less than 20 watts for the remainder of the evening, unless, as mentioned, a humidifier is in use.

For those that need to know it is possible to run these devices from something as small as a motorbike battery if you buy the correct machine.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2014, 01:53   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
I have a friend joining me for a couple days of sailing next weekend. If the weather cooperates, we will spend a night at anchor. My friend uses a cpap machine and I am wondering if anyone has experience using a cpap machine while on the house battery bank thru an inverter.

Thats exactly how I use mine. Even one of those jumper packs will run it for a night or two as they draw very little current
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:18   #10

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

My cpac supplier knows nothing. He claimed there was no such thing as a 12 volt machine. He is a lying liar who tells lies. I am in a new town and need a new machine too so we will see what the new guy says. Great thread guys and gals.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:27   #11

Try these guys and then check Amazon as well and if Amazon is a little lower in price(which happens the odd time) then ask them to match the price, which the usually do. They will answer any detailed question you have. www.thecpapshop.com/
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:28   #12

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Check out the Respironics Remstar M series if you don't need a humidifier. They are bullet proof, compact and use bugger all power.

My mate sells most of the brands and he keeps coming back to that one again and again.

No, I am not in the CPAP industry, but he has asked for my help a number of times on this very issue, as again and again he has clients who want to keep camping/sailing/bushwalking with their machine. We helped one guy do a 2000km bike ride with his setup, now THAT was a challenge.

We checked the power consumption on every make and model in his stock, and the Respironics was pretty well the best. Unfortunately that one has an external humidifier, and adding the humifier makes it less suitable for people on the move.
Scrub that, looks like the new models have built in humidifiers available... not sure about the power consumption on those though.

Matt
Old 12-10-2014, 06:21   #13

Thanks everyone for your input. It's been helpful and given me a basic idea of what to expect. I have two batteries in the house bank that are 650 CCA each. I think that should be enough power.

Silverbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:10   #14

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I use my cpap onboard. Have buddy pick up two battery packs from the cpap store. They come with a 12 volt transformer kit and the batteries are about 4" x4" nicad power packs. If the humidifier and hose are selected off, you will get roughly 2 days from a battery pack. 2 packs = 4 days. Recharge during the day while motoring. No need to wire up anything special. No need for an inverter.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Humidifier is the power hog, what they are is a SS plate that is heated to evaporate the water, electric resistance heat is of course inefficient.
Mine is a Phillips Resperonics Remstar, on mine the humidifier is removable from the unit which is nice for traveling.
I believe the CPAP uses about as much electricity as the refrigerator
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote