Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 13:35   #16

Re: Using a cpap machine on boat

You are right, the CPAP uses about the same as the reefer! That is as long as you have a good efficient reefer.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 13:43   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

I have a CPAP machine without the heating unit, it uses very little electricity that I can tell or no more that a Hella Cabin fan. If your house bank is healthy, I don't worry about that much of the draw from a CPAP machine.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:01   #18

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sue, that seems really rather a high figure. Most 12v units use less than half that unless they are set to a very high pressure. Any chance you are using an inverter to power a transformer that subsequently puts out 12v?

Also, most machines draw a significantly higher power initially to start the fan motor (up to 100 watts) before settling to less than 20 watts for the remainder of the evening, unless, as mentioned, a humidifier is in use.

For those that need to know it is possible to run these devices from something as small as a motorbike battery if you buy the correct machine.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Matt thanks for the heads up. The Cpap machine I am using is on a month trial so have not purchased the 12v kit to go with it as yet - will look into that when I get my own unit.

Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:23   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sue,
Since you are new to it, check out this site, there is a lot to learn especially as you may be able to pick different equipment etc
http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-A...40d1453718ef6f
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have you begun to dream again yet?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:55   #21

I have a Respironics CPAP with one battery that last about 8hrs when camping. When on the boat I just plug into the accessory cigarette outlet. My two house batteries have never been close to being drained and usually charge during the day by a 30w solar panel.
kbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 20:03   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Had a charter guest aboard w a 120V cpap machine a few years ago. Don't recall make/model but it ran fine over night on the inverter.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 20:39   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The admiral has used a Resmed Cpap for years by plugging it into a cheap 150W inverter and then into a 12 cigarette lighterplug. Without the humidifier, the unit is rated at 20 watts, and I read less than 2 amps at 12v when it is on.

While camping, we use a group 24 AGM, and it lasts 3-4 days without recharging.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 20:58   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarrow View Post
I have a Respironics CPAP with one battery that last about 8hrs when camping. When on the boat I just plug into the accessory cigarette outlet. My two house batteries have never been close to being drained and usually charge during the day by a 30w solar panel.
Yep, that's the puppy! Can't recommend it enough.

Matt
Old 12-10-2014, 21:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeard View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It's been helpful and given me a basic idea of what to expect. I have two batteries in the house bank that are 650 CCA each. I think that should be enough power.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sorry to be pedantic, but having 650 Continuous Cranking Amps is bound to be adequate, heck, it's probably enough power to explode your head, but that's not the measure that really matters. It's Amp Hours that count for this sort of thing, ie, the useable capacity of the battery bank. That being said, a 650CCA 12V battery is probably at least 80 Amp Hours at 20C, so you'll probably be fine.

Matt
Old 12-10-2014, 21:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually, that's a really good question you ask there. I discussed this with my mate who sells these things for a living and it is an interesting indicator. Not definitive, and open to interpretation, but either way dreams or absence of are significant indicators of sleep quality and part of the questionaire he uses to assess peoples sleep quality before the more serious sleep study stuff. (Which, he points out, is often not required for a good diagnosis. Most of the top end CPAP machines make very good analysis devices in themselves.)

Matt
Old 12-10-2014, 21:06   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

For the OP, as you can see there is no problem using a Cpap on the boat. It can be done easily in a number of ways. It beats the heck out of snoring and apnea and all evil things that go with it. Just use the method that suits your circumstances. Now, hooking up that deep fat fryer.....that takes skill and determination.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 21:22   #28

And choosing the right anchor...
Old 12-10-2014, 21:31   #29

Boat: CSY37

We both use CPAP on the boat (Phillips Respironics Remstar) and skip the humidifier. Has not been a problem for our 2 house batteries to keep up. We used the inverter at first, but now rigged a cable with splitter and plug into the 12v outlet directly. It seemed wasteful to convert 12V with inverter just to convert back to 12V again at the machine. Sometimes I shut off the fridge at night - we are on Lake Superior, so it's usually cold anyway. Our anchor light is LED, and there is not a lot else to use current at night, and we're pretty conservative in general. The draw will be higher if you have a higher setting on the CPAP. We are thinking of trying the travel CPAPs with battery as used in camping; maybe the HDM Z1 which has a heat moisture exchanger to insert in the tubing and does not need power like the humidifier. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried that set up. Anyway, 2 CPAPs has not been a problem at anchor.
pattig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 14:54   #30

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Interesting question. I had lots of dreams, in vivid colour, that I could remember before starting my trial Cpap machine. Since using the Cpap I cannot remember a single dream. So more restful nights ....?

with Cpap - Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote