Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 06:51   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: USA to europe electricityq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I think what you want is a step up transformer to convert EU shore power 220/50 to US standard 110/60. That way everything aboard is unchanged. Of course any EU appliances you buy locally will not work (wrong plugs). If you plan to leave the boat in the EU you are probably best off converting everything to EU power from the shore power inlet, battery charger, wall sockets, etc.
Transformer will not change the frequency.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Transformer will not change the frequency.
Exactly. As someone pointed out, some equipment will work on 50Hz or 60Hz, some won't, some will work but not as well or the equipment may not last as long before failure.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:09   #18

For long term use in Germany I would convert the boat to german standards. This means changing all the receptacles with Schuko ones, new breakers, maybe a new ac distribution panel, IEC 6039 shore power receptacle. The battery charger you have is universal. The generator needs to be converted to 50Hz. Contact the manufacturer for instructions.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:14   #19

So probably I need to show everything to electric? Because Im all most green at electricity, how much everything can cost about? One person said me that I just need inverter 110~230 and everything be ok
Netas369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:21   #20

For me the most logical thing like my friend said is just to buy inverter to 110v and 5kw power, so it would be the same like usa electricity, not logical?
Old 18-08-2017, 08:31   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netas369 View Post
And thats my from what I understand battery charger. 100-240vac and 50-60hz I think its universal?
Just had a look at the manual for your charger and it does appear to be universal so does not care what the A/C input is. You have a US standard genset. All of this is top quality and very expensive so you do not want to start replacing it. Seams like you only issue is that if you plug into shore power you will get euro 230v power at the sockets. Having this level of generating capacity onboard also mean you should have a manual or automatic system for switching between the genset and shore power. This makes life more complex and I suggest that you need to get a qualified electrician to look at any proposed changes you want to make. There is a potential for blowing things up or electrocuting someone if you get it wrong!
My suggestion would be to look at what you need to run off European power. Any installed kit is going to be US power standard so it will only be plug in items and you probably do not need a big inverter (above 1.5kw they get much more expensive and complex to install). A small 1-1.5kw would be a good edition and is normal on such a system to avoid running the genset just to power a computer or TV and you may already have one fitted. There are ways to convert 110/220v 60hz systems to 230v 50Hz by fitting a phase changer but it is a job for a professional.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:34   #22

I'm not really sure where your question now lies as it started with a power lead situation now it's with your fitted generator so please contact a marine electrician, RE other queries Many generators (Onan for one) you can change the Hertz from 50 to 60 by changing one wire, you can change the volts also by a wire change or if with in 20-40 volts by the front panel switch,

There is a difference between the wiring in Europe (230 volts actually) and the US wiring for 240 as:

1) In the USA the two commonly supplied shore-power voltages are 120 Volts (60 Hz) AC and 240 Volts (60 Hz) AC. The standard in Europe is 230 Volts (50 Hz) AC. All of these supplies are single phase, but there are differences in the supply wire configurations and consequently in the power distribution panel structure.

2) The USA 120 V (60 Hz) supply typically has three wires, 1-hot, 1 neutral, and 1-safety ground. 120 V (60 Hz) is obtained between the hot and neutral leads.

3)Double-pole main circuit breaker protects both the hot and the neutral leads.

4) Branch circuit breakers are single-pole, switching the hot lead.

5 )Has hot bus connected to the line side of the branch breakers. Has separate buses for neutral and safety ground.

The USA 240V (60Hz) supply typically has 4 wires, 2-hot, 1-neutral, and 1-safety ground. 120V (60Hz) is obtained between either hot lead an neutral, with 240V (60Hz) obtained between the 2 hot leads.

1) Main breaker protects both hot leads. Triple-pole breaker may be used to also protect neutral.
2) Branch breakers for 240V circuits are double-pole switching both the hot leads. Branch breakers for 120V circuits are single-pole, breaking just the hot lead.
3) Has 2 separate hot buses connected to branch breakers. Has separate buses for neutral and safety ground.

The EUROPEAN 230V (50Hz) supply consists of 3 wires like the US. 1-hot, 1-neutral, and 1-safety ground. 230V (50Hz) is obtained between the hot and neutral lead.

1) Double-pole main circuit breaker protects both the hot and the neutral leads.
2) Branch circuit breakers are single-pole, switching the hot lead.
3 )Has hot bus connected to the line side of the branch breakers. Has separate buses for neutral and safety ground.

Bottom line-Check with a Marine Electrician

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:42   #23

It depends how you want to use the boat.
Option 1: you only change the shore power plug and breaker and wire this directly to the battery charger with a separate cable. This means you can charge batteries from shore power. Everything on the boat is powered by 12V DC from the batteries (or 24V if you have that). You can use the generator also to charge batteries since the charger is selfadapting but you need to unplug the charger and replug to generator.

Option 2. You do option 1 and add an inverter for 110V 60Hz. Now you have american power in the boat and can use american appliances. Anything you buy new needs to be multivoltage and multiherz and will need american plugs or plug converters. Anything with a motor will run faster and may or may not survive depending on build quality and how much and what kind of electronics it has.

Option 3. You change the electrical system to european standards. Now you can use anything you buy straight from the box. If you want to use the generator for something else then charging batteries it needs converting to 220V 50Hz wich probably means a new generator head and governor if you are unlucky, and just some rewirering and new settings if you are lucky.
I have no ideea how much it will cost. Needed are electrical receptacles and AC distribution panel with breakers (or new breakers that fit the old 110V panel) and a bunch of labels. The wires get reused. It's not complicated, any electrician can do it. If the boat also has an american 220V circuit you disable it completley and make sure the wires are isolated.

How you decide is up to you and your usage. If you ever try to sell the boat in Europe it should be converted.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:55   #24

I think option 2 is the best, and for plugs just buy adapters from america to europe, everything would work fine then, at least for now will be good
Old 18-08-2017, 09:43   #25

Boat: Taswell 43

Alot depends on how long you intend to stay in Europe, and if you intend to return to US power. IF you intend to return to US power, and 110v/60Hz, then I'd suggest you look into the Victron Auto sensing Isloation transformer. It senses incoming power, and the output is what you want for the boat.....it does NOT convert the frequency, though. So if what you want to power is 60Hz/50Hz tolerant, just make up a set of converter plugs for the shorepower, use your existing shorepower cord, and plug into shore power where ever you are-the boat system will always see the power you want/are wired for (110v). Our boat is just the opposite-built for Europe power (230v, 50Hz) but now we're in the Caribb with 110v, 60Hz power. The Auto Sensing transformer works great, and we had to change no wiring, CBs, nothing!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, Europe, rope