Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 09:40   #46

Re: URGENT !! LA taxing me even though boat NOT in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Most states require you to register if you are in the state for a set period (length depends on state). I've also heard of CA going after taxes on boats because the hailing port (basically a vanity data point at this time) on the CG document was in CA.

The point is that CA uses any connection no matter how small to attach their tax code to your wallet. Best just to avoid the state (IMO).

Yap, they will find you even documented boat to tax.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:45   #47

I wonder when they gonna fix 379000 pad holes in LA, mayor vetoed the budget last year.
I thought that is the reason why we are paying tax.
Old 23-03-2017, 09:56   #48
Marine Service Provider

Hi cpt-757,

Leave it to an airline pilot to work all the tax avoidance scams. We are worse than flight attendants who know where all the cheap places are to buy stuff on layovers.

Sail fast.

Just call me retired cpt-767.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Hi cpt-757,

Leave it to an airline pilot to work all the tax avoidance scams. We are worse than flight attendants who know where all the cheap places are to buy stuff on layovers.

Sail fast.

Just call me retired cpt-767.

Maybe not much any more, lol!
Old 23-03-2017, 11:27   #50

Boat: Island Packet 35

I love CA. We received a bill many years later. You have to go to court to fight it and the burden of proof is on you. It is a pain, but fight it, if for nothing more than principal alone. Call them and they will, in typical govt fashion, tell you what your options are.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 19:21   #51

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
I wonder when they gonna fix 379000 pad holes in LA, mayor vetoed the budget last year.
I thought that is the reason why we are paying tax.
I think you mean pot holes. Not that gas tax, which they spend on other things. Isn't unchecked "representative" government wonderful! I am unsure what boat taxes are spent for. Almost certainly not what what we'd expect.
Old 23-03-2017, 20:00   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I think you mean pot holes. Not that gas tax, which they spend on other things. Isn't unchecked "representative" government wonderful! I am unsure what boat taxes are spent for. Almost certainly not what what we'd expect.

I did not know that from gas tax.
So many cars in LA, still can't cover to fix.
Old 24-03-2017, 06:15   #53

In Michigan, we,buy a registration sticker every third year. Pay,sales tax when buying a boat. No personal property tax that I'm aware of. Are they using that tax money to fund sanctuary cities?
California Scheming, not Dreaming!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:59   #54

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Interesting. I bought a 28' cabin cruiser in Tennesee in late 2015. Pulled it down to Florida and titled it. Cost almost zip as it is over 30 years old. I did not register it and the lady at the Tax Collector office said nothing about any financial liability for not doing so. I also did not register it in 2016 nor so far this year. I am not a scofflaw. The boat is in the project stage and has not been in the water. Hopefully it will be this summer. So, how much does USCG registration cost? Also sounds as if there is a annual USCG renewal fee. Maybe not be exactly the same but I do not pay an annual renewal fee on the Florida title. Also, what are the implications if I don't pay the USCG renewal fee because the boat is not in the water? Beyond the Bahamas or Canada this boat will probably never be.
If the boat's not in the water, it doesn't need to registered any more than does a garden shed. Launch her, however, and it becomes a different matter. The USCG Documentation is only important if you're likely to travel out of the country so you've no need to bother with that. Note that, in Florida, if the boat's in the water or can be trailer launched, it does need to be registered with the state if it's in-state for 90 days or more, regardless of whether the boat is documented. Note, however, that there is a partial registration fee waiver if the boats equipped with an EPIRB/PLB. See https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...lb-incentives/
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:16   #55

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
In Michigan, we,buy a registration sticker every third year. Pay,sales tax when buying a boat. No personal property tax that I'm aware of. Are they using that tax money to fund sanctuary cities?
California Scheming, not Dreaming!
Probably. If not they (Moonbeam and the Buffoons) are pay for a study on how to spend more money.
Old 25-03-2017, 06:19   #56

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Ken View Post
This why you should register (Document) your boat with the U.S. Coast Guard. Never, ever, register it with any State.

In Louisiana. Used to be that way here too, no registration required on documented vessels. It is now required here. Now you are not required or allowed to display registration numbers but are required to pay and display state sticker. This state does absolutely nothing to justify their position. Just pay up sucker, we need the money. Typical government BS.
Old 02-04-2017, 14:03   #57

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

The same situation happens with camping trailers that are licensed to be on the roads. A lot of time these campers are put in a park or along a river and never moved. No need to license/register it until it is to be moved. Kinda like a boat sitting in a boat yard being worked on. It may be a few years before the boat is put in the water.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat