Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2021, 09:37   #16

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Update on my trip, for those who may be curious :)

Congratulations, and I am glad to hear that the scary parts turned out pretty well after all. Good luck with your your trip!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 09:56   #17

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Thanks for the update. The first time you see water over the floorboards is a high adrenaline moment. Well done when under pressure!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 13:12   #18

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

Thanks so much for the update Kelsey. I read it with great interest because I plan the same path in April, on a new-to-me boat. Also congrats on quick thinking to solve the inevitable problems. Quite impressive. Please continue....
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 19:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

GREAT PROGRESS-- good to hear

As Jim said- "any landing you walk away from is a good one"

I would add - "any landing where you can use the airplane again is an EXCELLENT one. "
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:02   #20

Boat: Morgan Giles 30

Hi Kelsey from the UK. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your account, the first voyage is full of surprises, well it was with me anyway! It is pretty gloomy here this side of the pond this winter but we live in hope of fair winds and an effective vaccine. Looking forward to your next posting.
PSC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 17:40   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

Update part 2:

It's obviously been a minute since my last one but I'm bouncing amongst marina WiFi's so what are ya gonna do.

The solution to the dripless shaft seal problem: "burping" it did help some, but didn't solve the problem entirely. The actual solution was to add about another quarter inch of compression (slid it up the stern tube and tightened the hose clamps back down)- no leaks since.

To answer the crew question: we met this past summer working on the same schooner in Annapolis, she's arguably far more qualified than myself (100 ton, has done the ICW before) so we have no problem taking shifts on long days, which is nice.

We did end up going through the Dismal Swamp after Norfolk - no real trouble there and never bumped bottom, although we did have a difficult time getting ahold of the South Mills lock tender (still not really sure what that was about - we hailed on VHF and called on cell at least 20 times before getting a response about 20 minutes after the scheduled opening time, and we were 15 minutes early).

We stopped at free docks in Elizabeth City and crossed the Albemarle with no trouble in about 10 knots of headwind, stopped at Alligator River Marina, then at Belhaven Marina (very much would recommend- they helped me with an oil change when my pump didn't work and that's also where I finally resolved the shaft seal leak), another free night in Oriental after a fun running aground incident in the mouth of Adams Creek on the southern side of the Neuse River (Adams Creek is currently being dredged, an FYI to anyone headed that way any time soon), a night in Morehead City, and a night in Surf City. Surf City isn't a great place to stop apparently - we were trying to get to Sears Landing for the night but the inlet is shallower than marked and we ran aground there as well. Spent several days in Carolina Beach State Park - pretty, cheap, showers, pumpout, fuel, really a bit of a hidden gem. And today we left there and went down Cape Fear (luckily with the current behind us) and are now in Myrtle Beach, SC, hoping to make it to Charleston by Wednesday evening to beat a nasty system coming in Thursday.

Current tasks on the to-do list: my freshwater pressure pump for my sink has gone kaput, I think it was from when we took on water back in Deltaville (some corrosion somewhere)- resoldering the obvious connection point didn't fix it, so unfortunately it may be a pump replacement (or at least pump removal in order to fix it). So if anyone has any recommendations on a good place/person in Charleston that knows pumps well, that would be apppreciated, as I'm getting sick of having 15 gallon jugs of water floating around the cockpit!
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 17:57   #22

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Enjoy the adventure!

For your info: eggs don’t need refrig. Just turn them every other day.
Or I just coat with some Vaseline & not turn (Eric Hiscock tip) I've had them last 4 months in tropics this way using unwashed, un-refrigerated eggs. The normal way you get them in local markets.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:03   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have sat out storms 2 years in a row in harbor walk marina in Georgetown sc(a day north of charleston) I've been told there is a free city dock but it's for daytime only
Another option for the pump is to order a replacement on amazon to be delivered to the next marina. Even if you can get the existing one fixed, a backup is really nice. Water is a life necessity.
You are doing great, keep it up and enjoy every minute of it!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:17   #24

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Just the thought of this kind of failure made me install a foot operated FW pump.

It also leads to less water used per day. Offshore I want 1 gallon per day per person.

Even in the tropics it can easily be done if SW is used whenever possible.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:47   #25

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

For the OP of the do you have to do your own maintenance and repairs... thread.
If you are cruising this thread is why,and how, you learn about your boat and it’s bits.
Or you change the scale of your adventures.
I’ve never owned a boat that didn’t have stuff break. In locations that, if I couldn’t manage, would have been limiting. And those locations include places where parts deliveries are easy. And locations where replacement parts are just not going to happen. Period. Duct tape and baling wire.

I’m very excited to read this thread and follow and cheer on the adventures.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 20:46   #26

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
Current tasks on the to-do list: my freshwater pressure pump for my sink has gone kaput, I think it was from when we took on water back in Deltaville (some corrosion somewhere)- resoldering the obvious connection point didn't fix it, so unfortunately it may be a pump replacement (or at least pump removal in order to fix it). So if anyone has any recommendations on a good place/person in Charleston that knows pumps well, that would be apppreciated, as I'm getting sick of having 15 gallon jugs of water floating around the cockpit!
KelseyB, does the pump seem unique or standard boat/RV type stuff? Is it possible to take it out and bring it with to match size and fittings?

You confirmed power all the way to pump?

My RV has a 'kill switch' for the fresh water pressure pump, so the previous owner did not have to listen to it cycle at night as it was right under the pillows in the sleeping area. It is easily bumped.
Old 29-01-2021, 10:23   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...I'm waiting to hear about how you munched down on that Chesapeake favorite....the blue crab...if you're gonna be holed up somewhere.......might as well put that time to good use...and scarf down some of the best tasting crab on the planet...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 04:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
...I'm waiting to hear about how you munched down on that Chesapeake favorite....the blue crab...if you're gonna be holed up somewhere.......might as well put that time to good use...and scarf down some of the best tasting crab on the planet...
McHugh! Get with the programme! Kelsey's in Charleston, SC now.

(See what happens when you spend all your free time watching the Vendee...?) Heehee

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 17:00   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kelsey could chow down on some mighty nice BBQ! Well and truly launched!

Ann
Old 31-01-2021, 17:30   #30

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Kelsey's in Charleston, SC now.
Not all of us have Instagram. Know she gave an ETA Wed night - is it confirmed she's there?
There's a West Marine in North Chaz iirc - if the pump is still an issue.
Gotta love the gremlins that come along for the ride
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote