My 60 ' mast was bare for +/- 15 years at which point I bought it. Every fastener was seized hard in place and, after the screws were out (impact driver), there was putting under most fittings. Everything that brushed up against the bare mast looked dirty.
So! We removed all hardware
and sanded to bare metal. The trick is to only sand what you can go back and prime in 15 minutes or less. Aluminum loves oxygen and more than 15 minutes of oxydization is too much for the primer to fight. The first primer was a self etching spray can (bought in case quantities from NAPA). This was followed by a second one to join the self etch to the one part poly that followed. Another trick is to be sure the second primer is held back from the working edge of the sanding
. Don't forget the spreaders and other aluminum bits.
A 60' mast is surprisingly heavy. We primed all of one side and then rolled it over to do the other. Again, don't let the second primer foul the bare aluminum before the self etching material is applied.
We used a nickel based anti-seize on all the stainless fasteners when re-assembling. That seems to have worked.
That was about 6 years ago. All still seems OK.
Oh! If you have the mast down and apart, don't forget to check all your wires at the same time. That is both the standing rigging
wires too. We put all of our electrical
wires into a conduit that slid into the mast.
sv My Stars