Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 25-07-2005, 01:55   #106

Re: You're all stressed out people

Quote:
Mario once whispered in the wind:

To be able to go ou there without all the knowledge and experience is just great. I guess that's one of the biggest diference in atitude between us youngsters and the older people, who think they know it all and who are far to conservative to innovate this whole world.

Mario

Cascais, Portugal
Since when is 30 a "youngster"? Get yourself a clue, dude, you're over the hill. You better start accumulating wisdom now because you're too old to be considered "hip" anymore.

I'd rather be a smart 60 than a narcissistic 30. I'm 42, BTW. And way more creative and individualistic than most of the "youngsters" I meet.

Thaddeus
Old 25-07-2005, 03:15   #107

BRAVO MARIO
couldnt have said it better myself

thor
off to the BVI's
not a youngstrer ( 48 ) but 25 at heart ....

GO Pat and Ali
have FUN

I know you read this with and must be chucklin ...........be safe.
Old 25-07-2005, 04:17   #108

BRAVO THOR

You have final got around to what we have been saying

Quote “be safe”

Paul
Old 25-07-2005, 14:30   #109

Come on guys

You guys...

First of all I'm not sorry i'm not english or american, so english is not my first language, and if I consider ourselves youngsters at 30, then in my mind i'm a still a youngster.

And yes, I am from a country where there are no hurricanes or terrorist attacks or black widow spiders or sharks that eat surfers. And it's great!

And also it true that if I went on such a trip as Pat and Ali I would do it very differently.

And yes, I'm not an experienced sailor and I would never go with such short experience as they did.

But that doesn't take the fact that I enjoy reading their logs.

I find it great that so many of you care about the others. Keep up the good work.

If any of you ever come to portugal just say so and I can offer you some of our famous hospitality and a couple of very good beers!

It all comes to nature to decide, eventually. When the oceans decide they are full of Pat and Ali, they will take care of them. Perhaps that's why they are still safe and sound. Perhaps the oceans themselves feel good about those two guys.

And for those who are not "youngsters", well, at 30 I have a university degree, have my own company, and still consider myself a youngster. be jealous, I don't mind!
Old 25-07-2005, 17:35   #110

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with age, but is extremely rare in youth.
Old 25-07-2005, 19:42   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hear hear. However, the youth would like to think,
Youth believe they are wiser than the older and if the older would just listen, they could learn a lot from the younger,
or...
When I was young, it was amasing how much my Father didn't know. Now that I am older, it is amasing how much my Father learn't from me.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 25-07-2005, 21:06   #112

Hey Mario

Did someone say that Americans speak English!! LOL

Thanks for the invitation; I was in Portugal 25 years ago, real nice place, real nice people. The fortified wine was much nicer than the beer and the local food better than the pitza hut pizza. The county was great and the girl … err well

How about starting a thread in the destinations area about cruising in Iberia None of us here “know it all” that’s why we are here to learn from people who have “been there”

As for P&A and the good ship BF be entertained by it. Is it a comedy or a horror story, well the answer is probably both. ]

Either way I hope that it has a happy ending.

Paul
Old 26-07-2005, 10:41   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
... and the beat goes on ...
http://www.bumfuzzle.com/logs07-05.htm
From July 16
”... when we were on passage on our way to Australia we found out that you must have a visa before entering the country. We had gotten used to just showing up in a country and being issued visa's then. And I just assumed that Australia would be no different ... So there was yet another expensive lesson for us ...”

I think there’s the makings of a great Cruising Manual in their journal.

Old 26-07-2005, 12:31   #114

Boat: Lagoon 410 - Mama Cocha
Quote:
I think there’s the makings of a great Cruising Manual in their journal.
The pizza guide of the south pacific ????
Old 26-07-2005, 19:17   #115

The Devil is in the Details…

Eighty percent of success is just showing up. —Woody Allen

(Can't wait for August).
Old 26-07-2005, 19:27   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah that part had me confused Gord. Because I thought you couldn't "just show up" in NZ either. We are very similar in laws to Oz. Yikes, they are going to get a wake up call soon if they aren't careful. Some other countries they have yet to visit, aren't so "accomadating" if you "just show up".
Should we start laying wagers as to 'will they make it all the way round' or 'not'.

Old 27-07-2005, 14:54   #117

Bets invited

Great! Now we're talking.

Lets start a betting about that. I'm in. Pat and Ali should give us their route so that we can bet more precisely.

Now to what some of you wrote: us younger people (read not old fossiles) know that we do not know it all. We respect the older people and we value the knowledge they give us. But that doesn't mean that you know it all.

I'll keep reading BF's logs with reat pleasure, and I sure hope some holywood movie producer sees their site cause probably they'll make a good comedy based on those two characters. I would surely like to see a good comedy like that.

As for sailing in Iberia, I don't really sail here, so no luck for you who are interested. There are many sailors who sail in this area, but then again, maybe they are too old to know how to do this internet stuff or maybe they are just too selfish to share their pizza hut experiences with us...
Old 27-07-2005, 21:58   #118

I am counting on them going all the way if they stop now the “Book” will have to be called “Half a pizza is not enough” it would be far to negative.

Where as if they go all the way then we can have
“Pizza power for perfect passages” This sounds more positive even if it would be a little … ur …um … cheesy.

The chapter on boat selection and buying could be
“Will our dough rise to the occasion”

The chapter on visas and immigration
“don’t forget to take your dockets with you to save money”

And the beat goes on

Paul
Old 27-07-2005, 22:16   #119
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
us younger people (read not old fossiles) know that we do not know it all. We respect the older people and we value the knowledge they give us. But that doesn't mean that you know it all.
Huh...?

Who are the old fossils and who says they (we) know it all?

Ya been reading to much into these messages Mr. Mario?

Personally I am 48 years young and I never stop learning.

The overall discussion in this thread is that some ignroant and in-experienced people set out on a voyage they may not be prepared for.

They may be a danger to themselfes and to the people that may have to rescue them.

If you think that we are all a bunch of old geezers sitting around the computers wishing we had the means and lack of brains to do the same as Pat and Ali, ya are wrong on all counts.

Most guys on this here board are expeienced crusiers and have some knowledge of what the oceans can dish out:
To them the whole journey and the endless hunt for pizza and internet cafe's seems a bit hare-brained and bizzare.

If you can not see the blog from the angle of sea-time and crusing preparations, and you probably cannot since you admit that you don't sail, then you are not really qualified to comment on the motivation behind the comments you disagree with.

You are of course free to spew out more of the same stuff about old fossiles and being jealous of the young and all that, but it will probably be taken with a grain of salt, just like the tales we are commenting on.
Old 27-07-2005, 23:56   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hear hear.
And another way to put it,
You younger/inexperianced ones don't know what you don't know. Us older/experianced ones, know what we don't know.
or...
The more you learn, the more you realise you don't know.

Closed Thread