Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 03:16   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Uneventful Sailing

In order to be rolled, a boat’s righting moment has to be overcome. Obviously, different boats will be more susceptible to rolling than others based on length, beam, displacement, roll inertia, and center of gravity. Generally, the starting point for a wave to be dangerous to rolling a boat, is one that is only 30 percent high as the boat is long. Your 35 Ft boat might be in danger of capsise in about 10 ft. beam seas, if breaking, and almost certainly in 21 footers.

Your boat may be more or less susceptible to rolling than other boats based on its design, but the aspects to remember are that although your boat may be severely heeled over by the wave front, the wave will have to be:
- over 30 percent [1] of the boat’s length
- be breaking on the boat [2]
and
the boat will have to be orientated obliquely (beam on is the worse) to the wave, to knock the boat down, or completely roll the boat over.
Unless the wave is so large that it pitch-poles the boat, a boat that is bow or stern onto the wave should not be rolled.

[1] Andrew Claughton (who co-authored the University of Southampton, Department of Ship Science’s report) writes in Adlard Coles’ Heavy Weather Sailing by Peter Bruce, “During the model tests that were carried out to investigate the problem, when the breaking wave was 30 percent of the hull length high, from trough to crest, it could capsize some yachts, while waves to a height of 60 percent of the hull length comfortably overwhelm all of the boats we tested.”

[2] Generally, when the wave height exceeds the wave length at a 1:7 ratio, it may begin to collapse. (a non-breaking wave cannot throw the boat down into the trough);

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:28   #17

Don CL, thanks. That is the comment I was looking for!
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:37   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

And yet.

Many of us will want to push the boundary of our fear further and further off.

No?

Places where you have large protected water area adjacent to open sea are best to get some taste of what the big sea is all about.

Here, you can sail the outer harbour in any weather with the sea never building beyond 3 ft. Stick your nose beyond the seawall and you will get 10 to 15 ft waves any day the trade wind blows.

Sailors who do not have access to such 'fear testing grounds' are less lucky. It is no good if you are sailing easy pieces and then hit the rough patch one day.

There is a recent thread with a sailor in the Gulf Stream episode. 25kts and some sleep deprivation got him by the alls. I mean it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 15:47   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Iím heading out in two days and my biggest concern is leaving a slip (Iím never in a slip) (well maybe 15 times in my 62 years) and having to turn in reverse in the direction against prop walk. Iíll be using springs etc, so not a big deal. . The 20 knots forecast isnít a concern. Picking up a mooring single handed in 20 knots is not eventful.
Iíve read comments by people who are ok with slips but terrified of moorings. Or of anchoring.
Oneís definition of event varies enormously with specific experiences.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 11:43   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandydog View Post
Don CL, thanks. That is the comment I was looking for!
I figured that was what you were looking for.
Is that an Allmand 35 perchance?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 14:18   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: At sea in the pacific - 5 years full time blue water cruising
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
"Events" are so relative! At what wind speed does my dry martini become shaken, not stirred? At what wind speed (and heel angle!) do I drop the olive?
Oh dear! heel? A true gentleman never sails to weather (you might spill your drink)

Besides I have people to do that.

But in reality the answer isn't bad. In an uneventful sail - your martini will never be in danger. If it might spill (horrors!) it is an eventful sail.

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 19:11   #22

Well, it is a US 35. I believe modeled after the Cooper 35 3 and built by Bayliner.
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing