Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 16:54   #121

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Unattended at Anchor

^^^^

That's exactly what I would have said ... if I'd thought of it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:12   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Unattended at Anchor

While we are on the subject of alternative uses of chain another occasionally useful option is to deploy all the chain after attaching the snubber. This also has some Kellet effect, but it you have lots of chain it will reach and drag on the sea bottom (if the chain loop is longer than the depth).

The chain on the bottom does provide some drag which means with a change of tide, or wind the boat is more likely to stay put, or more commonly swing around more slowly.

In a crowded anchorage you usually want to swing in harmony with your neighbours so this effect is undesirable, but I can be useful. For example if you are the deepest boat in the anchorage swinging slower if there is the possibility of a light onshore wind can help increase separation especially if otherwise you would expect to swing quicker than your inshore neighbour.

Just another option to add to your anchoring bag of tricks.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 17:23   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'taking this to another example while not even at anchor. When we were in a Baltimore slip up the Patapsco during hurricane Isabel, we dropped all of our anchor and chain off the bow straight down. The weight off the bow and the resistance of the chain dampened our "hobby-horsing" in the slip.
Old 06-03-2014, 17:54   #124

Like this, you mean?

You are, to my mind, the unchallenged King, Queen, Crown Prints and Grand Vizier of anchoring, Noelex77, and I salute your consummate flair for -- and command of -- the practicalities and possibilities.

Here's my illustration, as promised.

The shackles should be used 'back-to-back', in pairs, so you can use the largest size possible.

An added advantage is the considerable water resistance and energy absorption arising not just from the surface area of the extra chain, but from the energy it takes to cause the various pendulums to oscillate and undulate in a viscous medium, at different frequencies. This applies to the horizontal plane, IOW sailing around at anchor, a serious problem for some vessels in some circumstances, as well as to the presentation of snatch loads to the anchor in particular, but also to the bow.

This statistical smoothing prevents the oscillations aggregating and presenting in the form of chain shaking at the bow, and helps avert the horrific resonance phenomena which occasionally afflict kellets - which in shallow hurricane holes have been known to be flung into the air in extreme instances)

The action of the loops of chain, unlike kellets, is progressive. In light winds but some current, the boat lies very quietly rather than ranging around like a restless caged feline, due to the piles of chain on the bottom.

And I guess it's obvious but I'll point it out anyway: getting all chain out of the locker is a Good Thing, in conditions when the bow is plunging.

I have mentioned the main drawback in an earlier post. And the main benefit; short scope anchoring in confined circumstances (whether from company of from enclosure) without resorting to (Boo , Hiss) multiple anchors.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:08   #125

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Yea, that is what I figgered too.
But oh what a hassle un-mousing and removing all those shackles.
Old 09-03-2014, 15:09   #126

Indeed. It's a powerful disincentive

But .... perhaps contemplation of the hassle of dealing with a boat which is no longer where it was, possibly no longer floating, (or capable of doing so), helps put it in perspective.

Stainless key-rings, prefitted to the U of each shackle, can be used as an alternative to mousing.

They can speed up the process at the front end, but (unless you're made of money) slow it down at the back.

ON EDIT: Unrigging is not too bad, given a pair of sharp sidecutters and a wrist loop on one hand for un-mousing, and a suitable shackle key looped to the other wrist. (And maybe a marlinspike on a loop around your neck to stick between the shackle U and the link of the chain, for shackles which are resistant to loosening.

It would certainly be a pain to do on your own, because it's best done from a dinghy. This is so you can operate comfortably outboard of the bow roller, but it takes a second person on the foredeck, to bring the cable in between times.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:30   #127

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post

It would certainly be a pain to do on your own, because it's best done from a dinghy. This is so you can operate comfortably outboard of the bow roller, but it takes a second person on the foredeck, to bring the cable in between times.
I was only thinking about being alone.

Tags
anchor