Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 09:51   #76

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Some parts of the world, a gun is way more trouble than its worth. There is the point, we pay the government to guard our stuff so we can focus on working without worring someone is robbing our house while we are at work. It has been a few decades, (if there was ever a time), when the high seas were so well patrolled that there was no crime, or piracy. The low numbers of attacked cruisers is most likely due to the sheer size of the ocean, more than anything else. Spending your time hunting for a vulnerable boat to rob in a few square miles of ocean is a good path to starvation.
Old 22-12-2010, 10:11   #77

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Although I don't carry a firearm or advocate violence, I feel that as long as the military and law enforcement agencies can carry weapons, then everybody can.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:08   #78

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Where I come from the ones carrying guns are same ones that are selling drugs and robbing people, so why would I want to go to a place where everyone has guns?
Old 22-12-2010, 11:19   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
I am really mixed on this one.

For long range deterrence I would vote yes without reservation. A shot across the bow, or in the motor, would do a lot to stop aggressive "fishing boats" that are a 100 miles away from the nearest school.

On the boat itself? Not sure. Shotguns are better then rifles or pistols. Trouble is, if there is more then one of the bad guys, how are they going to react? Is it a "holy chit, I gotta get outta here" or is it a " **, buddy, you have gun I shoot"?

Once they are on board, is it better to try and defuse? My suspicion is that it is a 50/50 crap shoot, and the only right answer is "it depends"
Old 22-12-2010, 11:34   #80

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Where I come from the ones carrying guns are same ones that are selling drugs and robbing people, so why would I want to go to a place where everyone has guns?
Quote:
Just under half (46%) of all robberies occurred on a street or footpath and 43% involved the use of a weapon. Knives were the most common choice of weapon comprising 20% of total weapons used.
4510.0 - Recorded Crime - Victims, Australia, 2007

Old 22-12-2010, 11:37   #81

I only deliver, not own, boats. Many of them have guns aboard, and I know how to use them if needed.
Just behave yourself, and declare them on entry, following any directions from the nice folks behind the desk.
If it's illegal to have them then toss them before entering port.
(I've found that most owners let the guns rust and the ammo is corroded)
So for the poll I would be a yes, I suppose.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:44   #82

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
"it depends"
And those are the key words! But if you have no way to protect yourself, then you're at the mercy of anyone that boards w/o permission. If they are carrying then you keep it under wraps but if it's to loot then the sight of a barrel should be enough.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:11   #83

OK, I missed the part about what firearm is carried.
The most useful is the Barrett 50bmg but those are expensive.
Next, and I've had these aboard several vessels, is a 12gauge pump gun with solid slugs for ammo. If being pursued by another vessel you simply take out their engine block. A few rounds through the hull below the water line also keeps them busy, and you've hopefully only shot their boat.
I served in the US military during the unpleasantness from 68-72, then carried a gun and badge for my community for many years. Having seen hundreds of people with gun shot wounds, believe me, shooting someone just makes too much of a mess.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:23   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
Next, and I've had these aboard several vessels, is a 12gauge pump gun with solid slugs for ammo. If being pursued by another vessel you simply take out their engine block. A few rounds through the hull below the water line also keeps them busy, and you've hopefully only shot their boat.
So would you advise saboted slugs for range?
Old 22-12-2010, 12:34   #85

I don't give gun advice.
I will explain that you want the pump gun instead of the semi auto because the semi doesn't function reliably if you are firing over your shoulder behind you, while looking forward and running just as fast as you possibly can.
If you haven't had to do this, you will laugh.
If you have had to do it, glad you made it!
My last entry for this survey.
BJ
Old 22-12-2010, 13:46   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Quite contraire!

I don't plan to carry a gun aboard per se but to be told that I can't, that would be against my rights. All the more reason to.

"A nation of sheep breed a government of wolves". If you're not willing to stick up for your rights then why bother doing anything.
IT would be your right in the US but not neccessarily else where.

"A nation of wolves would starve"

Old 22-12-2010, 13:52   #87

Boat: contessa 32
Pirates today have AK 47s, only thing that trumps that is a RPG.
Its possible you might hold off a few criminals with lesser hardware,but if the opposition has real firepower you will have to give them everything, and then even your life.
I spent a fair amount of time in 3rd. world countries and found the locals gracious,but that was back when Americans were loved and respected; always felt safe,but then again I never traveled with my family; whereupon the equation changes drasticly when guns are pointed in your direction
Old 22-12-2010, 14:06   #88

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
only thing that trumps that is a RPG
And a few of the pirates may have those as well.
Old 22-12-2010, 14:33   #89

Boat: Currently boatless
When visiting some locales (e.g., Somalia), you need to be prepared to kill or be killed. I have no desire to do either and prefer to stay in places less prone to violence. Fortunately, there are enough of those for a lifetime of cruising.
Old 22-12-2010, 15:38   #90

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Here we go AGAIN. It's a Survey for cryin' out loud. Don't editorialize (When on the sea, not on my home waters, the Great Lakes [I'm not that paranoid] I carry a short barreled pump 12 gauge in a sealed plastic bag. First three rounds are 00 buck followed up by two slugs) but whoops...I digress. Happy holidays everyone.

Tags
Guns