Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 18:53   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
this is not a gun thread it is a SURVEY.
for the more pc members,and please lets keep it that way,SO BE POLITE, and resist the urge to remove posts unless very obnoxious.
remember it is nice to know WHO IS ANCHORED NEXT TO YOU.....
fair winds and following seas
Old 21-12-2010, 18:58   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I voted "NO" as I don't plan on it. I see having to resort to guns as a failure of multiple previous defense tactics/strategies (one of which is being on a boat in the first place.)

But there may come a time when I change my mind.

Guns I have. I even have a couple of "personal protection weapons." Just to preserve my ability to have them should situations change and they become more difficult to get.
Old 21-12-2010, 18:58   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Aren't we all nice atoll no. ?

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 19:03   #49

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post

FWIW, flare guns only work in the movies.
Who wants to hold still while I prove this out?

Simply displaying a flare gun has been know to discourage an intruder.

Not the perfect weapon. Neither is a frying pan. I read an interesting story this last week about an elderly woman taking out a bad guy with one though.

It would not work in all instances. It certainly would work in some. Probably/hopefully not so much as a weapon, but as a threat. If I were to actually have to pull the trigger on anything, I think it would be too late to think there was a good chance of things turning out well.
Old 21-12-2010, 19:05   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

re goboatingnow

in my experiance most people are,but there is all ways the exception to the rule.
any way we are getting side tracked here the poll was who has who hasent,nothing more nothing less.
as the post stated at the beggining not a discussion meerly a survey,if you want to talk,am currently on syvega/humanitatrian posts
brg atoll
Old 21-12-2010, 19:06   #51

Boat: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This isn't a pro/ Anti " bear arms" issue it's perspective that armed untrained civilians ( ie untrained in combat) are more a danger to themselves then anyone else . Very few people can engage in any sort of a firefight or reliably mortally wound someone. If it happens it's usually luck unfortunately more often it's unlucky. Dave
Dave,

Absolutely agree with you! You shouldn't have a gun, unless you have been properly trained to use it for the purpose you intend. I have.

But then you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, fly a plane, have a child, or operate a boat until you can prove your inability won't be a hazard to others. Have had training for all except child raising. Should have had that training also.

Ted

Old 21-12-2010, 19:10   #52
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat

Simply displaying a flare gun has been know to discourage an intruder.

Not the perfect weapon. Neither is a frying pan. I read an interesting story this last week about an elderly woman taking out a bad guy with one though.

It would not work in all instances. It certainly would work in some. Probably/hopefully not so much as a weapon, but as a threat. If I were to actually have to pull the trigger on anything, I think it would be too late to think there was a good chance of things turning out well.
Therein lies the issue at the heart of it. Once you commit to such a deterrent you are on a path where the outcome most likely could result in you death. Deploying the deterrent then reveals what a bad choice it was ( have you ever tried aiming those things) . If your opponent is armed and is just a little better then you. Then you fate is sealed. In my view ( and that's all it is) and from my experience you're better off never having begun that process in the first place.

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 19:15   #53
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Diver
Dave,

Absolutely agree with you! You shouldn't have a gun, unless you have been properly trained to use it for the purpose you intend. I have.

But then you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, fly a plane, have a child, or operate a boat until you can prove your inability won't be a hazard to others. Have had training for all except child raising. Should have had that training also.

Ted
Ted if you are combat trained then i have no reason to doubt your effectiveness with a weapon and most likely you'll come
out on top of any encounter. Very few civilians are so trained and even fewer have actually had any real experience. I'm not talking about a few classes at a range.( no more then a few lessons and a license makes you a good driver) Shooting people in a high adrenaline situation is very different from hitting a few paper targets

Yes it's a survey atoll I voted NO

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 19:18   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

sadly this is what happens in a democracy,parties find it is better to slur,undermine,and generally move the goal posts to suit their own agenda.
rather than show their true colours right or wrong and answer a simple question?
who is carrying and who is not and what you got,nothing more nothing less?
Old 21-12-2010, 19:21   #55
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
sadly this is what happens in a democracy,parties find it is better to slur,undermine,and generally move the goal posts to suit their own agenda.
rather than show their true colours right or wrong and answer a simple question?
who is carrying and who is not and what you got,nothing more nothing less?
Don't understand atoll what do you mean.

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 19:29   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

see 1st post and poll
Old 21-12-2010, 19:53   #57

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ted if you are combat trained then i have no reason to doubt your effectiveness with a weapon and most likely you'll come
out on top of any encounter. Very few civilians are so trained and even fewer have actually had any real experience. I'm not talking about a few classes at a range.( no more then a few lessons and a license makes you a good driver) Shooting people in a high adrenaline situation is very different from hitting a few paper targets

Yes it's a survey atoll I voted NO

Dave
Actually it's a POLL started by Don Lucas!

As for training some of us have been in combat situations and know when and how to use them and at what time. Some of us might even be police or agents who is even more professional at arms.
But for those who have never owned, let alone fired a weapon, yeah, don't carry a firearm. You'll probably get hurt if it came down to the bottom line.

Here in the USA we have the constitutional right to own fire arms and some even make a profession of it, some are collectors of antiques. There are shooting clubs that meet every month to practice and show off their new rifles, scopes and learn reloading skills.

But to try to under mind a USAier excising their rights just seems like jealousy. If you don't want to carry that's your choice but to put down the ones who have the right and the training, seems a bit illogical.

Just because we have guns doesn't make us killers or mean, we just have the right and take it were it's legal. And it is legal at sea! It's just in foreign ports we have to check them in.

In the USA I'll bet most gun owners are better people to be around then the one who don't own guns. It sure seems that way with all the people I know. Only the criminals have guns in most other countries, excluding military and police, of course. Were not criminals, but you would think so to read some of these posts. Some even get outright nasty.
Old 21-12-2010, 20:12   #58

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
agree 100%,even seen people shoot themselves,some by accident some on purpose.
dave,goboatingnow
Plural? You have seen that? Accident and on purpose - Both??

If you have actually seen that then you are one in 100 million. Or more.

Where in the heck have you been?

Just so I can avoid those places.
Old 21-12-2010, 20:16   #59

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
In theUSA, most veterans seem to be better people...personnal observation.I voted no at this time, but times change. I have 50bmg, mini 30 ak47. vz58, etc.
Old 21-12-2010, 20:25   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

one was an evangelical priest,whos wife had left him,fortunately he couldnt find his 357 so shot he himself in the foot with his 22 pistol because he didnt think he was feeling enough pain!!!!!

the other was my friends dad,showing us 15 year olds the correct way to use a 9mm pistol,removed the magazine and dry fired into the ground,only problem was there was still one up the spout and his foot was in the way!!!!!!
to this day have a great respect for guns,and will never listen to an adult!!!!!!!
ps this all happened in south africa in the good old days
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns