Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 11:14   #16

Re: Two or one part paint?

I use one part Brightside on my Wharram tiki 30. It last just fine and looks great on the hulls. However, on the beams and hatches I regularly repaint 2 to 5years. I think itís the corners and expansion and contraction that causes the failure. I wouldnít call it exactly soft or flexible. It is relatively easy to use
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:30   #17

Consider using a 100% Acrylic Resin paint. These are relatively new. Often referred to as multi-surface paints. These stay flexible and breathable so excellent for exterior wood.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

back in the day, when I built my boat, I was poor as a church mouse....so someone had suggested I go see a local motorcycle dealer that sold Japanese motorbikes. These motorbikes arrived in crates made from mahogany...so off I went, and sure enough the back of the dealership was filled to the brim with mahogany crates. Took me a few days, but I dismantled several crates and soon had quite the stash of mahogany timbers, all sizes, all shapes, so this was the wood I used....and it was all free, labor excluded. Never had any problem with this wood cracking or anything....and when varnished, was rather nice looking, but it required yearly re-varnishing, which was a pain in the patootie, hence the eventual paint job.

You didn't say where you got your Gazelle. There used to be chap in St. Augustine that built Gazelle's..Ron Barnes was his name. He built quite a few as I recall....this would back in the late 70's.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:17   #19

I should add that when I initially built my boat, all the interior wood was oiled, what was I thinking ?

Yah, looked nice, but required yearly maintenance, which was tedious, and it was also quite dark inside the boat.. so bits and pieces were eventually varnished with a polyurethane varnish and the rest painted. Made a world of difference and I never had to do any maintenance after that.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:28   #20

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
btw...is that a Ron Barnes built Gazelle ??
No. GAIA was designed by Tom Colvin and has a Sunbird of England unstayed junk rig. We had a professional loft and build the hull in our backyard in northern Ontario and had a retired professional welder do all the finish welding. As he was the welding foreman of a group of welders building nuclear research reactors (where we worked ourselves) and associated equipment he was, needless to say, very good😊. We did not think that learning to weld on a boat with which to cross oceans was a very good idea.

We also had GAIA professionally faired and painted.

We did all the rest of the work with the exception of the electrical panels and some other electrical work ourselves over a ten year period.

Jim SV GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:45   #21

Ron Barnes built several Tom Colvin designed Gazelle's, they were usually always junk rigged. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, you would see quite a few of them, but rare to see to them today. Topper Hermanson was another guy that built steel boats, also same period, not sure if built Gazelle's, but may have.

I built my own (Roberts) from scratch, took almost 3 years, had to learn to weld on the job, but got it done. Never broke a weld in 15 years, so guess I did a good enuff job.

Rare to see a steel boat these days, but back in the late 70's/early 80's, seems like homebuilders were a dime a dozen.

My old boat is still around, now on it's 3rd owner....40 years old.....still going strong.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Consider using a 100% Acrylic Resin paint. These are relatively new. Often referred to as multi-surface paints. These stay flexible and breathable so excellent for exterior wood.
Tx for the suggestion. I will see what is available hereabouts. Here meaning the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. Not to say that that is unlikely since there are now many marinas, West Marine outlets and several good hardware and paint shops in the town of Fronteras. Quite a change from twenty years ago when we were here last.

Jim SV GAIA
Old 11-07-2020, 13:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Ron Barnes built several Tom Colvin designed Gazelle's, they were usually always junk rigged. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, you would see quite a few of them, but rare to see to them today. Topper Hermanson was another guy that built steel boats, also same period, not sure if built Gazelle's, but may have.

I built my own (Roberts) from scratch, took almost 3 years, had to learn to weld on the job, but got it done. Never broke a weld in 15 years, so guess I did a good enuff job.

Rare to see a steel boat these days, but back in the late 70's/early 80's, seems like homebuilders were a dime a dozen.

My old boat is still around, now on it's 3rd owner....40 years old.....still going strong.
Not rare here by any means to see a steel boat. And steel boats are not always recognisable as such. I am glad to say we are often mistaken for an other than steel boat albeit I must add by those that only look for signs of corrosion. When they see none they assume it is something else 😊. In the river here there are two other Gazelles and on the hard here in the Nanajuana marina there must be half a dozen. And there are a dozen more marinas! We also often saw other steel boats during our circumnavigation and while on the hard in SE Asia, New Zealand etc. Amazingly I think when compared to the number of large catamaran you are right in spite of their humongous cost.

In the Netherlands one sees many steel boats. And I have a brother who sails and lives on one that is now something like 110yrs old 😊. Steel boats with care, are forever.

Jim SV GAIA
Old 11-07-2020, 15:05   #24

yes, the Dutch are big on steel boats, as are the Aussies and Kiwi's and even from South Africa.....but not so much here in the USA. Most steel boats here are homebuilt, the hard chine variety, but there are a few professional built one's too. Canadian steel boats that I've seen were usually professionally built, and once in a blue moon I will see a custom made steel boat, usually of the round bilge variety, but it's rare to see them today.
The Gazelle was a popular model, which is why I asked the Ron Barnes question. He built them here in St. Augustine. How many ? I don't know, but quite a few. It's rare to see the junk rig these days, so if I see a junk rigged boat, it's a pretty sure bet, it's a Gazelle.
Back in my day, Roberts designs, was mostly the hard chine variety, but since then, the round bilge variety has come about with the age of the computer. These days you can buy a steel " kit" boat...all the pieces pre-cut, all you have to do is assemble it.
Wish I had that option, but no, I had to do it the hard way.
I have attached a pic of my old boat. Sure loved that thing !!!
Hope your paint questions have been addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (3) copy.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	219156  
Old 10-08-2020, 08:18   #25

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Many years ago I owned a steel ketch and emailed Tom Colvin for advise. He told me to use two-part Amerlock 400. I did and was very pleased with the result.
Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint