Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 16:53   #571

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Twenty Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Could this be Oracle's new theme song? Stayin' Alive.
Yep, lucky for ETNZ they got a chance to get a lot of practice in the LV Cup. Now the teams are pretty much even with Oracle Team USA maybe a bit faster...........but in a big hole which sometimes happens to the defender since they don't get to race the LV Series.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 19:39   #572

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Nonsense Thomm. The LV cup was a walk-over so not much match practice for TNZ compared to Oracle with their big budget and two evenly matched boat and skippers.
Difference has been that TNZ had better skills in design-work and team building and Oracle has had to follow the leader and copy as much as they could.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 21:29   #573

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Could this be Oracle's new theme song? Stayin' Alive.
Or maybe thishttp://youtu.be/lDK9QqIzhwk
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 21:35   #574

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Yep, I can see the Oracle team blowing off comms and blasting that tune while racing.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 01:06   #575
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Batten down the hatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You're wasting your time. There are those who are so dogmatically anti-multihull, they will never appreciate the racing, no matter what.
Actually, I am not anti-multihull at all, never mind dogmatically. I work part time in a chandlery over here, in the past three or four weeks I have had not one conversation with either a customer or a staff member about the AC. So, today I brought it up with the staff before we started. One did not even know that it was on and they actually live on their boat, a yacht. One, again a liveaboard, said that he saw it on the news last night and could not come to terms with crash helmets, etc., to go sailing. He said that they had no interest at all for him. The other staff member is a racer, including cats, and he basically hates it. No covering moves, and no downwind legs in reality. So, what can you say? It's not attracting the interest would be my comment.

Coops.
Old 20-09-2013, 01:30   #576

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I could care less about lawyers.

So, are spinnakers becoming obsolete?

Old 20-09-2013, 03:20   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Nonsense Thomm. The LV cup was a walk-over so not much match practice for TNZ compared to Oracle with their big budget and two evenly matched boat and skippers.
Difference has been that TNZ had better skills in design-work and team building and Oracle has had to follow the leader and copy as much as they could.
Ha! I can tell you haven't raced much. Of course the LV Cup helped ETNZ. It's like in football when they say yes he's practiced with the team but hasn't been under game day pressure yet.

ETNZ was able to sharpen their racing skills and tweak their boat for better speed during the LV Cup.

Again, this is nothing new. The LV Cup winner usually has a bit of an edge. It was especially evident with ETNZ in 2007 against Alinghi and also in 1987 with Dennis Conner's Team aboard Stars and Stripes where they beat Australia 4-0.

The problem here though is that the races are so fast and there are two of them a day usually (at first anyway). So you can be down 4 races in nothing flat and if there is a penalty also...............get it? Wheras before it would be a couple monohulls slugging it out over a 20 mile course with one race every couple days which allows much more time for the Cup Holder to get his skills back race ready again.
Old 20-09-2013, 07:56   #578

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Spinnakers became obsolete a long time ago in the AC event (as well as many other professional races with high-tech boats). They are only useful if the boat is so slow that deep downwind angles are faster. The fact that you see a lot of them on cruising boats and club racers only supports this point, as well as showing that racing machines are a different ilk. You also do not see canting keels on cruising boats, but that doesn't make fixed keels obsolete for them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 14:19   #579

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Now a race is abandoned because they didn't complete the course within the 40 minute limit.

ETNZ clearly deserves to win this thing. When the race was called they were ahead by about 500 meters. Light air sailing is much more difficult and we finally got to see who knows what's what when using a gennaker.

Absurd rule!
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 14:31   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Absurd rule!
Agreed upon by both teams.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 20-09-2013, 14:34   #581
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The AC is the biggest crock of S888 ever to grace racing. Now they impose a 40 minute time limit! What a crock of S888! Can't wait for this thing to get out of California
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 15:18   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Now a race is abandoned because they didn't complete the course within the 40 minute limit.

ETNZ clearly deserves to win this thing. When the race was called they were ahead by about 500 meters. Light air sailing is much more difficult and we finally got to see who knows what's what when using a gennaker.

Absurd rule!
Looks like this really is the Cruiser's Forum. (non racing) That's a normal race rule. There is always a limit so they/we can get the next race off.

Normally, we catamaran sailors have 4-5 races per day. We sit around quite a while waiting for the slower boats to finish. It's a pain. If they do not finish in the proper time, the next race starts.

Example: I pitchpoled once (actually lots of times) in view of the committee boat and had a hard time righting my boat. I was in like 2nd place at the time. They didn't wait, and started the next race on time as I was sailing to the start line from the course side.

Granted this is the America's Cup and the teams are way experienced, but it's still a normal rule.

Tom

Catamaran racing is awesome but nothing new. I bought my NACRA F-17 in 2002 after owning and racing a couple Hobie 16's and a NACRA 6.0. The latest NACRA F-17s are awesome. On distance races, I'd sail solo many times since my crew, my son, was more interested in girls at the time and didn't want anything to do with a 100 mile race. I'd still run the three sails though. The new NACRA 17: (btw, check that main block. Not quite like the one on your monohull. You have too many lines in your hands to worry too much on just the main sheet when you are trapped out)

Nacra 17 World Championship 2013: Day 2

Old 20-09-2013, 15:34   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The AC is the biggest crock of S888 ever to grace racing. Now they impose a 40 minute time limit! What a crock of S888! Can't wait for this thing to get out of California
They didn't "now" impose the limit - it has been in the rules for 2 years. Those rules were made, and agreed upon, by both teams presently racing.

Past AC races also were called for time limits - as Gary Jobson pointed out in his commentary. One race he gave as an example had the winning boat right at the finish line. Were you spitting mad then? Were those AC series also S888?

Having said that, I admit to being confounded by the particular time limit - those boats were moving 15-20kts with 12-15kt VMG's. I don't understand how that short of a time limit was agreed upon. Particularly since the low wind limit in the rules is 3kts!

It is disheartening to hear someone want to get rid of AC racing from their home waters just because they hate catamarans and Ellison. Many people would be thrilled to have the chance to personally witness this event in their home waters.

You certainly do not understand these races or respect this event.

Mark

Old 20-09-2013, 15:36   #584

Boat: PT-11

all true, but perhaps 40 mins is a bit short. Its not like they were just bobbing around.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 15:53   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
all true, but perhaps 40 mins is a bit short. Its not like they were just bobbing around.
It doesn't matter, the time limit is the time limit. It's all standard but may seem strange to the uninformed.

Tags
knot, paracelle