Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 21:19   #1

Boat: Santana2023
TS Joaquin

My friends a meteorologist with Rutgers and this video shows chances of this being a major storm are increasing. Inverted trough, Greenland blocking and rapidly decreasing pressure. Last time these occurred was Sandy. Go figure, I'm leaving the jersey shore to go to a wedding in the Hamptons leaving tomorrow afternoon. My marina called and said I need to make a decision on whether to haul by 0900. I'm not hauling, but wish I was in the area to make adjustments and keep a close watch. Anyone else have plans ? If not, here's the video link.

DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:01   #2

Boat: Bayfield 29C
Re: TS Joaquin

My boat is on the hard at my marina on the Rappahannock River 5 mls upstream from Deltaville, having lots of work done in prep for winter cruise south.

Boatyard manager just called to say they are ready to splash her, what do I want to do? I told him leave her out till we see what Joaquin is going to do. I'll go get the rest of her canvas off today or tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone if this becomes a major.
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:15   #3

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Forecasts and models seem to be lining up with an East coast hit. The models seem very consistent this morning vs yesterday.

5day

Models
Old 30-09-2015, 11:08   #4

Boat: Santana2023

Models have now pretty much let go of any hope of the trough pushing Joaquin out to sea. The trough is too far inverted and is going to suck this thing into land. Just like Sandy. Now it's just a matter of where this hurricanes gonna land although the NWS is saying south jersey so I assume they mean cape may. I have no slip neighbor so I moved into the middle of both slips, use heavy duty dynamic climbing line on the stern breast. I don't have spring cleats, so I ran through a block for my Genoa and put a bowline over the winches to act as a spring line. I spread the bow lines out as far as possible and lashed off with the springs using cinching knots that bite down hard as pressure is added so hopefully they won't slip. After doing salvage work post Sandy, I've learned being on the hard isn't always the best idea. As of right now, she's gonna stay in.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:27   #5

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

well, my boat is out the water for the season, the mast is down and she's well blocked and braced up. I'm in southern maine so I guess it's just waiting game.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:51   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1

At 13:45 east coast time, Joaquin is strong cat. 3 and predicted to possibly reach cat. 4. Potentially affected areas (Atlantic seaboard) should prepare as deemed appropriate. "Historic rainfalls" have been mentioned.

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:32   #7

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
At 13:45 east coast time, Joaquin is strong cat. 3 and predicted to possibly reach cat. 4. Potentially affected areas (Atlantic seaboard) should prepare as deemed appropriate. "Historic rainfalls" have been mentioned.

just noticed that. even if we only get big rainfall up here it will stall cause problems, we had 5+ inches of rain and pretty considerable flooding yesterday so a lot of ground will still be saturated
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote