Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 18:44   #1

Trying to identify a boat...

I tried deleting the two guys standing in front, and the boat has teeth painted one it, and that's why the picture looks like your children's crayon book! But I'd like to know what the boat is. I tried Google image search...yes with the original and it didn't work.
Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201112-214114_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	540
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	226839
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 08:49   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Trying to identify a boat...

that is an islander..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:46   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

A little more information might help. Details like size and build material. A better quality photo might also assist. I actually think the yacht is European, who knows.

BUT! When I saw the teeth I was reminded of a similar looking yacht with a fascinating history: the 45 foot 1.5 inch steel plated Berserk. She was sailed around the world by some crazy Norwegians (self proclaimed Vikings). Her crew often made protests, always staged to gain maximum publicity. For example they all swam nude in Gauntanamo Bay and as a result were evicted.

In 2007 she sailed the Northwest Passage east to west following in the path of Gjoa. So far as I know Berserk still holds the record for the furthest north any sail boat has ever been.

Very very sadly she sunk in McMurdo Sound in the Ross Sea, Antarctica Feb 2011. After Berserk's emergency beacon sent a Mayday signal, ice-strengthened patrol vessel HMNZS Wellington, located close by, was dispatched.

"As we responded, we were stuck in the most intense storm I have ever encountered in 19 years in the navy," said skipper Lieutenant Commander Simon Griffith. Hurricane force winds up to 182km/h (112 mph) "exploded off the Ross Ice Shelf" and sharp swells of 8m to 10m slammed into HMNZS Wellington. Spray turned to thick ice on the decks. Aerials, lighting and speakers were swept away. Griffith ruefully noted they even lost their stern light and liferafts were ripped off.

Sadly 3 crew were also lost in the sinking and their bodies never recovered; from Norway Robert Skaane 34, Tom Gisle Bellika 36, and South African Leonard Banks, 32. Two other crew had left the yacht, Berserk skipper/leader Jarle Andhoy, 34, and Samuel Massie Ulvolden, 18, were attempting to reach the South Pole by ski to mark the centenary of Norwegian Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition.

If anyone would like a comprehensive story then say so. It's a fascinating tale, but of course never really made the media outside Scandinavia. Ben of Snow Petrol (often a lurker here) has sailed there too and I'm sure would have more details.

This picture is of the yacht sailing in the North West Passage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berserk.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	226888  
Old 13-11-2020, 10:20   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Well, "Berserk" certainly a controversial topic...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4709...off-Antarctica

https://www.outsideonline.com/2237381/rough-passage

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarle_Andh%C3%B8y

Wasn't well-received here in Canada....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 19:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
A little more information might help. Details like size and build material. A better quality photo might also assist. I actually think the yacht is European, who knows.

BUT! When I saw the teeth I was reminded of a similar looking yacht with a fascinating history: the 45 foot 1.5 inch steel plated Berserk. She was sailed around the world by some crazy Norwegians (self proclaimed Vikings). Her crew often made protests, always staged to gain maximum publicity. For example they all swam nude in Gauntanamo Bay and as a result were evicted.

In 2007 she sailed the Northwest Passage east to west following in the path of Gjoa. So far as I know Berserk still holds the record for the furthest north any sail boat has ever been.

Very very sadly she sunk in McMurdo Sound in the Ross Sea, Antarctica Feb 2011. After Berserk's emergency beacon sent a Mayday signal, ice-strengthened patrol vessel HMNZS Wellington, located close by, was dispatched.

"As we responded, we were stuck in the most intense storm I have ever encountered in 19 years in the navy," said skipper Lieutenant Commander Simon Griffith. Hurricane force winds up to 182km/h (112 mph) "exploded off the Ross Ice Shelf" and sharp swells of 8m to 10m slammed into HMNZS Wellington. Spray turned to thick ice on the decks. Aerials, lighting and speakers were swept away. Griffith ruefully noted they even lost their stern light and liferafts were ripped off.

Sadly 3 crew were also lost in the sinking and their bodies never recovered; from Norway Robert Skaane 34, Tom Gisle Bellika 36, and South African Leonard Banks, 32. Two other crew had left the yacht, Berserk skipper/leader Jarle Andhoy, 34, and Samuel Massie Ulvolden, 18, were attempting to reach the South Pole by ski to mark the centenary of Norwegian Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition.

If anyone would like a comprehensive story then say so. It's a fascinating tale, but of course never really made the media outside Scandinavia. Ben of Snow Petrol (often a lurker here) has sailed there too and I'm sure would have more details.

This picture is of the yacht sailing in the North West Passage.
I want the whole story!!

If I had any more info or better pictures of the boat in trying to identify, then I could figure it out! But that one picture is all I have.
It kinda looks looks the owner was going for a replica of the boat in your story...maybe?
Thanks for the info! And I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who goes off on wild tangents!! Great tangent!!
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 20:02   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Zee's got it, Islander 33.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/islander-33
Good God, what have they done to it?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 11:50   #7

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon