Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 10:55   #1

Boat: In the market for the time being!
Truck Transport Suggestions + Where to look for a boat

Maybe I'm just googling wrong... I've contacted 9 transport services throughout the US. No luck with any of them. Mostly, they aren't interested, too busy already, don't do domestic etc. Haven't received a single quote! It's like looking for a General Contractor in Denver. Maybe I should start a yacht shipping service...

I'm near Yaquina Bay in OR. I'm looking at 26-30ft boats in the $10k-$15k range for day / weekend cruising. There is nothing for sale here like that. Again, maybe I'm not searching the best channels. I generally look online and figure it doesn't exist if I can't find it. I've found a few for sale on craigslist and sailboatlistings.com. Mostly overpriced, very bad shape or old listings (years old).

There's one boat in Salem (Pearson 26 Weekender). Decent hull and new bottom + mast step. All else just average - no working electrical, interior redesign I don't care for, needs new sails etc. At $6k with a trailer that's the best deal I can find. I'd probably be dropping $5k on that boat immediately and wouldn't get that back out of it. Maybe it's time to settle... but there are so many in the Vancouver area for instance that are much better deals! How to get them here?

Any suggestions on a transport service? Or, custom trailer route? I got one quote on a custom trailer and gave up as it was astronomically too high. $10k for a 28 ft. If I want a boat by spring, maybe I've just got to settle on a trailer boat... a J24 or something. Not my ideal. I'd rather have something heavier / more of a cruiser I could do a day out of the bay with and not think twice.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17   #2

Re: Truck Transport Suggestions + Where to look for a boat

Uship.com And estimate $3 to $5 per mile. The big problem is packing mast & everything else for shipping
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:18   #3

Maybe a Rawson, heavy disp. Now. 28ft Newport, Bellingham, on Craigslist
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26   #4

^^ yes Uship.com, they will broadcast your request out to independent contractors which then bid on your job
GypseaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30   #5

I've used uship for vehicles...

Again, this is for mostly fixed keel boats that don't have a trailer. There are uship contractors out there with adjustable trailer setups for keel boats? I didn't know this...
Old 05-12-2016, 11:47   #6

Yachtworld has a list of boat transporters.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We used uship to find a contractor to move our 32' 15000# 10'6" wide boat from Florida to Texas. I did all of the packing of the mast though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:55   #8

Yes they transport keel boats. Independents as well as established regular type company will BID for your "load"
Old 05-12-2016, 11:57   #9

30 ft irwin $12,000 in Bellingham c. List
Old 05-12-2016, 11:58   #10

Thanks a ton for this information! Appreciate it! Figured I had to be looking in the wrong place.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17   #11

I like the Irwin... So much more to chose from further up the coast!

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5895298972.html

I've got one quote from a yard to demast... $500 including haulout and sticking it on the trailer. I used an Ericson 28 as an example for the quote. Seem reasonable? Obviously this will vary a bit on certain boats. Their main concern seemed to be electrical setup on whatever boat I was considering...
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

Be careful going too big if you're planning on trailering often and for short stints. Ideally you'd get a boat that was built for the purpose..something having a tabernacled mast that doesn't require a crane or a ton of work to get up and down. And ideally something with a centerboard or shoal draft that would open up your options for self-launching.

I'm considering a trailor for my 5ton Vancouver27 and my quote for a quality custom trailer is in the ballpark you mentioned. I gather that trailering a boat this size for any distance is highly questionable with even the heavy duty towing packages on the 1/4 ton pickups. Would probably need a 1/2 ton realistically, or look at renting a truck on an as-needed basis.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Be careful going too big if you're planning on trailering often and for short stints.
I'm not super interested in trailering regularly... we're working mostly full time + side business. When I get a chance to go sail, I'd rather be paying the $1k a year for a slip in South Beach or Embarcadero so I can just go without the hassle. Though, a boat with a trailer option would be nice if I wanted to do major work in my own yard.

I do kinda wonder about people on uship potentially towing with a 1/2 ton or smaller vehicle. But, figure it's their problem and I'm assuming if they wreck my boat it's insured on some kind of uship policy or if they are commercial driver... thru whatever company. Something to validate...

I drive an Excursion with the Turbo Diesel (1 ton). I'd do it myself if I could rent a trailer. Haven't found that option anywhere (renting a trailer setup for a keel boat). Only for motor boats / flat bottoms.
Old 05-12-2016, 13:04   #14

I'll be here (western MT) in a few weeks to visit family... check this out!

Columbia 28 (C-28) Sailboat for Sale

Trailer sounds iffy. But, maybe with a little work? Towing that thing in winter over Snoqualmie Pass with my vehicle would definitely give me a shoulder ache!
Old 05-12-2016, 13:49   #15

I knew what size range I was looking for in a boat and I knew I could not do a refit if it was hours away, so I kept my eye out and bought a big trailer. That freed me up from the expense and time involved with a boat sitting in a boatyard 2+ hours from home. I could tow the trailer with my 3/4 ton, but I bought a Tartan 34 and hired a local mobile home trucker to bring the boat and trailer to a spot 10 minutes from home. I may sell the trailer sometime in the future and it will have paid for itself over and over. Dont even think about towing without decent brakes. I had brakes go out on a trailer on a mountain road and it almost caused a wreck. To start out without brakes is not a good idea. You can tow a lot behind a 1 ton if the trailer is good. best of Luck. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote