Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 19:03   #31

Boat: Santana 23D, 23ft
Re: Truck Transport Suggestions + Where to look for a boat

Have you tried Scott Coleman at Underway Llc in Eugene. 541-954-7223. He has trailers to haul boats (30ft plus) and has loads of boats for sale and is good at finding what you are looking for. And is just 2.5 hours fro Newport.
Vets sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 19:23   #32

Boat: Liberty 458

Contact canal boat yard in Seattle. Ivaylo Minkov the yard manager will set you straight. I can't remember the name of the shipping company we used. Ivalyo will know. We've shipped twice.

We found that all the other boat transport companies will outsource to this one company. Most have no drivers, trucks or trailers. We also had no response from many.

We also had multiple feedback to avoid a San Diego based transporter. Other owners we spoke to mentioned substantial bridge contact damage.

We did all our own prep, packing and unpacking.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 20:32   #33

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemale View Post
Oh sweet!

Didn't even consider just renting a car hauler and a makeshift cradle. If I run into the boat without trailer that I want transported, I may hit you up later for suggestions / info on exactly how you did this... I've got the truck that would handle twice that load. Not worried about that bit.
Not sure of your definition of makeshift, but cradle needs to be fastened to trailer adequately. Cradle needs construction continuity with adequate fasteners. I used 1/2 inch treads rod and long lags. 3/8 and 1/2 on 2 " galv steel square tube. Your keel pouch must hold the weight of the boat. The cradle assists that task. My cradle foundation was 2 6x6x 20 treated thru bolted to trailer framework. 6x6 crosspieces lagged 1/2 inch big washered 4" bolts. Fastened with 1/4" steel c-channel. Channel saddle welded across existing crosmembers for keel setting. 3/4 plywood in 2x framework lagged with 1/2 lags and some 3/8 threaded rod. 6x6 fwd and aft of keel bolted to trailer frame with 2x6 lagged to 6x6 longitudinally port and strbd. Supported keel at rudderpost with 12x12 to keep rudder off the trailer frame. 8 equally rated opposed straps , from 1000# to 3300# fastened to cleats equally opposed.
Perhaps it looks makeshift, but not constructed in that manner.
I can remove every component and repurpose to fit another boat hull/haul. I would not go wider with this particular width trailer. Well maybe a little bit but that requires permits.
No offense taken by the makeshift remark btw.😇 It's all good .✌🏼️
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:11   #34

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

As an addendum to my prior post, here's how w transported our 36' tri on its trailer. Axle assemblies removed (to reduce height) and put on gooseneck. Then the entire folded boat (secured to its own trailer) was lifted and put down on the lowboy trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	137607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	137608  

LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:28   #35

Boat: In the market for the time being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Not sure of your definition of makeshift ...No offense taken by the makeshift remark btw.😇 It's all good .✌🏼️

Makeshift was a careless word choice... I am an engineer with limited people skills.

I wouldn't consider that makeshift in the true sense of the word. Honestly, I'm quite impressed by what you've shown me and am inspired to potentially do this myself.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets sailing View Post
Have you tried Scott Coleman at Underway Llc in Eugene. 541-954-7223. He has trailers to haul boats (30ft plus) and has loads of boats for sale and is good at finding what you are looking for. And is just 2.5 hours fro Newport.
Hey! Thanks!

I called him. Might be making that drive over this weekend to see his inventory. He's got lots of boats within my parameters he says.

He's sending me info on a C27 with a "nice trailer" and a boat that needs work. He wants $7k as is (with trailer) and is getting me some info on work needed. I'm interested in that one specifically because it's the model with the inboard diesel (M-18?). Assuming that's a plus over the Automic 4.

I'm looking at another C27 in Newport tomorrow for $9k that appears to be in excellent condition (no trailer of course). It has the Automic 4, newer sails, new bottom coat and barrier as of August. No other specifics yet... but the guy who owns felt comfortable enough to have just completed a 14 hour ocean day in it (Astoria to Newport). Will be interesting comparing the two.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:54   #37

Catalina 27 ? Please read boatUS sailboat reviews. .
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 15:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney777 View Post
Catalina 27 ? Please read boatUS sailboat reviews. .
Done a lot of reading on Catalinas and 27s-30s specifically. Lots of pros and cons. I know what i'm getting into. Either way a survey is required for non-trailer boats.
Old 07-12-2016, 15:22   #39

Try Jack horner boat reviews. Catalina 30s are wonderful.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 17:00   #40

Quote:
Makeshift was a careless word choice... I am an engineer with limited people skills.

I wouldn't consider that makeshift in the true sense of the word. Honestly, I'm quite impressed by what you've shown me and am inspired to potentially do this myself.
Thank you maple, that being said , you've piqued my interest in your tow vehicle.
Old 07-12-2016, 17:16   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Thank you maple, that being said , you've piqued my interest in your tow vehicle.

Old picture before I beefed some stuff up... added iron to the front etc.

7.3 PSD Excursion with upgraded injectors, turbo, intake/straight-piped, hydra, custom-tuned and other mayhem making fun! Probably going to have to sell her someday if we do some serious sailing!

Your towing machine looks quite nice as well. Is that a dirty max?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excursion.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	137663  
Old 07-12-2016, 20:36   #42

Quote:
Old picture before I beefed some stuff up... added iron to the front etc.

7.3 PSD Excursion with upgraded injectors, turbo, intake/straight-piped, hydra, custom-tuned and other mayhem making fun! Probably going to have to sell her someday if we do some serious sailing!

Your towing machine looks quite nice as well. Is that a dirty max?
Those 7.3s are noted for longevity. I like the looks of it.
I bought my 07 kodiak 2 years ago this Christmas Eve. 6.6 last year for no def.
I love it. The wife runs off with it often as she loves it too. She can handle it with our 38alfa 5ver. Looked for a truck in 5 states. Found this in Knoxville tn. W127k on it. Just reworked the front end with steering arms and tie rods, kingpins. I'm pushing 170k . We added nothing to it other then todos on steers and continentals on rears. Heavy factory flush goose pin and receiver . This Monroe conversion had air lift rear axle, bagged cab and front seats. Air horns and exhaust brake. Even has to option. I wish it had the western platform but I really do have major issue with that. A young kid was jamming me up with his "must be nice ! remark. Until we compared price of his 4dr wrangler with my truck. I got a lot more truck for a lot less $ than he did. Oh but he had a nice wrangler.
And yes Old Yellar, Transformer, Big Bird, Lemon Drop, School Bus, Overgrown Canary, Chicken Coop and Purty Yellow Truck are more than occasionally heard in reference to it.
Chevy stopped building them in 09 before the collapse. They cheaped on the interior plastic in them instead of firing executives.
There are some big 8.1 gassers out there reasonably priced, even some propane jobs too. Some guys swear by them . Some guys swear at them lol.
Sorry this got so long winded but yeah I really like my truck. I'm in Wisconsin tundra hauling cargo right now . Escaping soon back to boats.
Keep us posted on your boat search. I've got a daughter in Seattle that I've not seen in a while.... if you find a southern boat... well you never know !!!
I might be up for a road trip
Good luck and welcome to cf.
Are you looking for a sail ready turnkey boat or one you will rework?
Old 07-12-2016, 21:26   #43

[QUOTE=thruska;2275213]Those 7.3s are noted for longevity. I like the looks of it.
I bought my 07 kodiak 2 years ago this Christmas Eve. 6.6 last year for no def.
Edit edit edit....We added nothing to it other then toyos on steer....Even has pto option. I wish it had the western platform, but NOT an issue....
Old 04-01-2017, 17:41   #44

Who did you use?
flynlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 19:20   #45

Hey maple, did you get a boat?