Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2011, 14:11   #1

Boat: Columbia Mk2 26
Trip Coming Soon !

Hello everyone, If you seen my "Looking for alternative Crew" post, you know what kind of adventure im taking in 51 days. I am putting a list together of Things I absolutly need, Things that would be nice to have, and things i can do without. I know There are tons of these posts. But, O well. haha. Im trying to be as minimul as possible, with saftey features In a small budget.

I've recently picked up a second hand sl70 radar and an 18 inch radome
I have 2 60 watt solar panels
2 Gps's
Depth finder
I have an origo 4000, but i also have a Colemen Duel Fuel (Runs on gas)
Flare gun
Life Jackets

Things on the list to buy.
St1000
Spot Gps Messenger (Cant afford a PBL, or Eprib)
South Caribbean G2 Gps card
GoPro HD

Im depating a second Battery, My power consumtion is very small. So im not to sure if its needed.

Due to the Lack of funds, i want to keep the the list short and sweet.

So, with this trip coming so soon im getting a little bit nervous i guess.
HoboTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 21:59   #2

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Re: Trip Coming Soon !

Make that a GoPro Hero HD2

Also, do you have a laptop? You'll need one to edit the video from the camera. It can also double as a chartplotter with the easy-to-use OpenCPN software, which uses freely available NOAA Raster charts.

*IF* you can swing the money for it.... I bought a Pelican Case for my laptop. Good peace of mind on the dinghy ride that the laptop won't get doused.

What's your ground-tackle situation?
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 22:18   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

cant afford an epirb but can afford a gopro ! haha nice!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:46   #4

Boat: Columbia Mk2 26

Thanks for the responses, haha, yea i guess that pretty funny about the gopro vs. Epirb. haha o well. If im lost at see i'll film it!

As of now i have three anchors, One danforth, and 14 pound plow anchor, and a 20 pound plow. (I got it for free, and i figured i could use it as a storm anchor) I only have two anchor lines/rodes though. What do you think? anything else needed?

Im not very computer savvy, I would love to bring a laptop, I've never dabbleled in the openCPN. Where would i get this program? I know theres a whole thread about it, I should go over there and do some research.

So, even on my short budget, I just dropped 660 Bucks!! ouch. Big chunk out of the cruising fund, But i finally got it. sorta. (waiting on shipping) I ordered the st1000 Tiller pilot, and a bunch of other safety gear. I picked up water activated strobe lights for the life jackets, some new dome lights for the interior, a bahamas/turks and caicos cruising guide, and a New flare gun.
HoboTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 20:06   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboTrek View Post

Im depating a second Battery, My power consumtion is very small. So im not to sure if its needed.
HoboTrek -
If you are going to have a radar and an autopilot you are going to need at least one more battery.
Old 07-12-2011, 22:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike
HoboTrek -
If you are going to have a radar and an autopilot you are going to need at least one more battery.
Its about the power gen, not the battery bank.

Power gen needed depends on the power budget

He'll be making about 60 amps a day and heading south. My ST1000 probably draws an amp on average with reasonably trim sails and mild seas. Add some lights, some radio, some tunes, some computing and I think he is still fine although a few day shake down cruise is advised.

THe radar is a luxury and I would ditch it or at the very least not run it when there is a watchkeeper.

If he has a power defecit no amount of battery bank will help long term.

You are gonna love the ST1000+ and I am glad you decided to get it.

(edit) PS - It's not clear, or stated elsewhere if your anchor is all rope. If so I suggest 2x15ft of chain. Shackle them together on the 20, use all rope on the 14 understanding its not optimal, with the option to steal half the chain from the 20. Not to start an anchoring war as usually happens here but high tide under keel water of 10 feet + 5 feet draft + 4 feet to the bow fitting = 19 feet. At 5:1 you will commonly lay out 100 feet, 150 to be conservative. The chain weights the rode and helps the anchor pull horizontally rather than vertically. Wth 20-30% chain you should be good in most cases.

So anchoring becomes, find ten feet water, decent bottom and dump out 100-150 of rode.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 00:14   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboTrek View Post
Hello everyone, If you seen my "Looking for alternative Crew" post, you know what kind of adventure im taking in 51 days. I am putting a list together of Things I absolutly need, Things that would be nice to have, and things i can do without. I know There are tons of these posts. But, O well. haha. Im trying to be as minimul as possible, with saftey features In a small budget.

I've recently picked up a second hand sl70 radar and an 18 inch radome
I have 2 60 watt solar panels
2 Gps's
Depth finder
I have an origo 4000, but i also have a Colemen Duel Fuel (Runs on gas)
Flare gun
Life Jackets

Things on the list to buy.
St1000
Spot Gps Messenger (Cant afford a PBL, or Eprib)
South Caribbean G2 Gps card
GoPro HD

Due to the Lack of funds, i want to keep the the list short and sweet.

So, with this trip coming so soon im getting a little bit nervous i guess.
Radar usually means a second battery. So will your ST1000. They are quite thirsty over extended periods.

Sell the radar and buy an epirb. You already have two very good radars on board- ( your left eye and your right eye). DONT not have an epirb. A 406 epirb will have all your vital data attached to it- vessel size color etc. It will operate in the water- even if you're incapacitated in some way. From what I just read, the GoPro wont give acurate vessel info to a coast guard if youre in trouble. Just an SOS of sorts..

Thats my two cents. Someone else will disagree but its 'my' two cents to spend how i like :-D

Good luck on your trip. It sounds like fun
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote