Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 08:25   #1

Boat: ISO
Transportation from BVI to FL

So it looks like my next boat I will be getting from the BVIs. I know that the trip from BVI to Tampa should take about 10 to 14 days., but I would also have to add onto that time the final inspection, purchase, and boat prep time. That would also not leave any time to adjust for weather windows, and while I am not a fair weather only sailor, I'm not going out in a hurricane either. The problem is (as always) time. While i have a months worth of vacation time, I really can't take much more than a week at a time every 5 or 6 weeks.

So as i see it, to get it back to FL I have two options; 1) hire a delivery captain to bring it back, or 2) bring it back myself (actually my daughter and I).

I would really like the experience of bringing it back, but does the cost of lets say flights and storage just to sail 3-5 days make it so much more expensive than just hiring a delivery captain?

thoughts/advice/what am i missing? If i were to split up a trip into three or four trips, where would you stop, how would you store the boat (mooring/on the hard)

And she is going to be a 36' Jeanneau - yes out of the Moorings. I am not looking for comments on buying a previously chartered boat. I have chartered plenty of boats, and know what I am getting, and still feel they are a good value.
mpc7002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 08:59   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO
Re: Transportation from BVI to FL

Sent you a PM.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 09:08   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Transportation from BVI to FL

I owned a boat in the Moorings and sailed it (mostly Solo) from the BVIs to Cape Canaveral when it came out of charter. If everything goes perfect and you do some night sailing, 2 weeks is plenty of time. The problem of course is that things often don't go perfect.

When I took my boat out for an overnight test cruise I discovered several problems. The Moorings took care of them, but that chewed up 3-4 days right there. I ended up having to take care of crud in the fuel tank in P.R. which took another 3 days. I spent 3 days waiting for the right weather to cross the Mono and lost 4 days in the Bahamas due to an approaching Hurricane which fortunately got downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit. I sailed back in June-early July. In winter, you might have some cold fronts to contend with. Sailing straight through might reduce the risk of things coming up, but still issues can arise.

If you want to chat more about what it's like receiving a boat just out of the Moorings, ideas on what to bring, (tools, dingy options, etc.) or anchorages along the route back, feel free to shoot me a message.

- Dave.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote