Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 18:40   #1

Boat: 2005 Precision 23
Transport vs sailing around FL

I've been looking at monohulls (30-38ft range) in the GOM and East coast of FL, but am considering adding GA and maybe SC. I've got quite a bit of experience in Eastern GOM to the Keys and a bit of experience from West Palm and LaDeDa to Bahamas, but little experience further up the East coast. I'm sure it's a nice trip if I can stay out of the stream (and crab traps) and if the stick is short enough I could try the Okeechobee bypass (which I've wanted to, but have not yet). Final destination would be Pensacola FL.

I can't believe I'm considering this, but overland transport is another option (I know heresy). Sooo... is anyone whose done this when buying a monohull (or just knows the ins and outs) willing to share general insights and costs (I know the costs will vary, just trying to get an idea).

Mike
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 19:21   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Transport vs sailing around FL

I recently moved a 38 footer 90 miles

Selling broker screwed me with $1800 to haul, put on truck, and “six hours” to prep mast.

My marina charged $800 to lift, put in water, rerig mast. Included pulling cradle off and placing into storage.

Truck was $2200, up from $1800 a month prior. Other option was wait till end of season in October.

Total $4800. 90 miles.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:21   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Sail the boat around FL. Stop in Key West. Make a trip out of it. That is an excellent shakedown cruise from GA to Gulf Coast of FL- trucking the boat by land is going to be astronomical compared to bringing it by water.

Anything over 35 ft. is going to have some issues with the fixed bridge on the Okeechobee- I believe the guy who tilts boats is no longer alive and running that operation, so you'd have to take that upon yourself which can be a little daunting if you haven't done it before. Honestly, there is no reason you should try and avoid Key West- it's a great stop.

If you make it around FL and need a dock in Tampa Bay area, let me know and I can help you with some transient dockage at the Harborage Marina.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Sail it. Buy the time you unstep, load, unload, restep and splash- you could pay for a really good delivery guy.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 13:26   #5

Boat: 2005 Precision 23

Thanks Tetepare, those are the kinds of details I was looking for.

Yes I really would "rather" sail around FL.

MH
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 15:50   #6

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen View Post
I've been looking at monohulls (30-38ft range) in the GOM and East coast of FL, but am considering adding GA and maybe SC. I've got quite a bit of experience in Eastern GOM to the Keys and a bit of experience from West Palm and LaDeDa to Bahamas, but little experience further up the East coast. I'm sure it's a nice trip if I can stay out of the stream (and crab traps) and if the stick is short enough I could try the Okeechobee bypass (which I've wanted to, but have not yet). Final destination would be Pensacola FL.

I can't believe I'm considering this, but overland transport is another option (I know heresy). Sooo... is anyone whose done this when buying a monohull (or just knows the ins and outs) willing to share general insights and costs (I know the costs will vary, just trying to get an idea).

Mike
Back in 2010 I transported my Lord Nelson 41 by truck from Port Canaveral to Pensacola Shipyard. The original plan was by water but Pensacola Pass was closed off at the time due to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Nobody knew how long the pass would be closed so we bit the bullet and trucked it. Haulout was about $450. De-rigging was $2500. Another $450 was charged for cutting off a permanently mounted massive SS dinghy davit. Stern railings and an eight foot long bowsprit/pulpit with railings were removed. Mast pulpits, boom gallows and lifeline stanchions all needed to come off. All tanks needed to be emptied. With all of the above removed, we were just a few inches under the maximum height allowed to travel the interstate highways and make it under the overpasses. The trucking company was Seale Marine. They were fantastic to work with. Their charge was $3590 which I believe included the pilot cars needed due to the wide load. The boat is about 35,000 pounds and has a full keel. It is 41ft. long without the bowsprit. It was quite a site going down the road. I believe the re-rigging was about $2000. This was 11 years ago on a different size boat but may give you an idea of ballpark costs.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:07   #7

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

How much free time do you have?

You can do it in stages if need be, and on the ICW if you don't feel confident going offshore. Save the haul and truck.

FYI, I brought my 50ft sailboat offshore from Tampa/St. Pete to Beaufort SC in 7-8 days, and that included a few extra days to rest and have fun. St. Pete to Key West, one day. Key West to Marathon, one day. Marathon to near Miami (one very long day). Miami to Beaufort (three days)
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:27   #8
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Go by water. You can control everything but the weather; and you can wait for that.
Crossing the GOM is an easy shot; nothing out there. Lots of rocks in the lake and that bridge is low low. You can easily hop down the coast and go in and out as needed / wanted.
Water.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen View Post

I can't believe I'm considering this, but overland transport is another option (I know heresy). Sooo... is anyone whose done this when buying a monohull (or just knows the ins and outs) willing to share general insights and costs (I know the costs will vary, just trying to get an idea). Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2007 I purchased my new-to-me boat in St. Augustine, FL with plans to sail it to Puget Sound via the Panama Canal and Hawaii...I was retired, so what the hell I had all the time in the world.

My new girlfriend joined me to prepare the boat. The trip down the ICW ditch to Key West was either touching bottom daily or getting stuck. Prices for fuel, slips, or whatever got higher the further south I went. Installed Monitor windvane at Key West and was joined by friend while girlfriend return home for work. We launched for Panama and after one day lost primary and backup steering...towed back to Key West by USCG at 10-11K causing damage and losing one anchor. Spent about three weeks repairing in the worst boatyard on the planet, then launched solo for Panama again. After 10 hours accepted the fact that the boat was not prepared for such a journey and diverted to Galveston, TX...never been there before and did not have harbor charts aboard. Lost all electrical power after two days and notified USCG via passing workboat. Survived two storms and much bilge pumping. After seven days ran aground at night on Galveston jetty that runs about two miles out into the Gulf...towed to Galveston marina for haul-out. Waited one month for an available transport truck to load the boat. Transport cost $7500 plus cost of derigging-transport preparation, and rigging again at destination. (This is the abbreviated version.)

I would have been further ahead financially and saved a lot of time and trauma to truck it directly from St. Augustine to Puget Sound. However, I learned so many lessons on this, my first bluewater experience, that proved valuable later on in sailing that I now consider it priceless...well, almost.

So, whatever you decide don't be in a hurry, plan thoroughly, and make sure your new-to-you boat is prepared for the transport or voyage.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:02   #10

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Here are the cost to purchase and move my 42' boat about a year ago. Moved it about 500 miles. I did all the work to get the boat ready to move short of actually destepping the mast. I did all the work on the rigging work on the receiving end also.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tzu...ew?usp=sharing
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Enjoy a sail, that's what you bought a boat for. The Okeechobee ditch is a nice trip given the mast will permit. A lot quicker than the Keys not as much fun however.
I would agree with whoever said a delivery captain vs. overland, if you don't have the time, I expect it would be a ton cheaper in the long run.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:41   #12

Boat: Tartan 37

Should you want to consider the option of going thru Lake Okeechobee and needing to get under the railroad bridge, it is true that, sadly, Bill Owens the Boat Tipper, has passed away. I’m not sure if anyone else has taken on this role but you can check with Indiantown Marina who may be aware. Good luck whatever route you take.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:10   #13

If you have the time and the boat is in good condition, it can be a fun trip. But make sure you have time to do a quick test run to make sure everything is in good running order before setting out.

But if you are short on time, nothing wrong with hauling it. Yes, it will cost $2-3k plus the some prep time but then it's home in a day.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:34   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I had a boat trucked from Shell Point (near Tallahassee) in 1985 because I had no free time. I helped my Son-in-law bring his Gulfstar from St. Petersburg via the Okeechobee Waterway and we've sailed to and back via the Keys numerous times.

All were successes, but only the voyages on the water were fun! 'just need to make one of several good choices.
Old 11-08-2021, 16:05   #15

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Truckers are in short supply these days. I posted a request for quote on Uship to truck a boat from FL up north and only got 2 replies from Delivery captains, not truckers.

If trucking, expect dates to be missed and prices to increase.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing