Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 14:13   #1006

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
ah, ok. so your opinion, can 6.5 draft get in there, safely? how would you approach?
I've never tried to dock there, so I don't want to tell you for sure you'd be ok. Ans I'm don't have any of my charts with me (I'm out of town) to give you much on the best way in or out.
Old 30-11-2013, 19:19   #1007

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

I just looked at the charts in Active Captain and it appears that the marina that you're talking about is called Sunset Cay Marina. If that is the case then you'ld probably be best to just stay inside without going out the Cape Fear Inlet. That next inlet south called Stono River Inlet is one that I would not want to enter (or exit)without local knowledge and a power boat.
Old 30-11-2013, 19:24   #1008

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance

For those that may be interested...

From my blog post, how to do it off shore, NYC to Florida or the Bahamas.

Sail Routing to the Bahamas and Florida from NYC.

This is a link to an article on my blog that I wrote about 3 weeks before we set offshore. You will see our plan clearly spelled out. And thankfully executed even better. I just updated it now, with a couple of shots from the actual track of Black Diamond, both from our SPOT and from the track on the Chart plotter. I also included a few stats. Greatest distance offshore (from land) was 300 nautical miles or 555km for those non-sailors.

Yes, it will take a sound and well equipped vessel, experienced crew, and a large set of balls.
Old 30-11-2013, 22:46   #1009

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I just looked at the charts in Active Captain and it appears that the marina that you're talking about is called Sunset Cay Marina. If that is the case then you'ld probably be best to just stay inside without going out the Cape Fear Inlet. That next inlet south called Stono River Inlet is one that I would not want to enter (or exit)without local knowledge and a power boat.
+++1, And I've been to Folly Island, lots of rich houses but not much more. Bohicket is easier to get to, and the depth would not be a problem (Tiger Woods brought his 200' launch in here for the US Open last year.) But it is EXPENSIVE. I would stay at the Charleston Maritime Center if I were to spend extended time in that area. You can get away without a car there.

BTW, I did spend a month in the Bohicket area last year while the boat was on the hard at Ross Marine. Not much to do if you don't have Big Bucks. And you need a car no matter what.
Old 30-11-2013, 22:53   #1010

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

From Active Captain: Steno River Inlet-
Folly River flows into Stono Inlet from the northeast and Kiawah River from the west. Folly River is used by pleasure craft and local fishermen desiring to reach Folly Beach. A dredged channel, marked by lighted and unlighted buoys, leads about 2.3 miles upriver from the junction with Stono River at Bird Key. In October 2001, the controlling depth was 8.5 feet in the south half and 3.9 feet in the north half of the channel to Buoy 13; thence in 1999-October 2001, 1 foot to the end of the project. The dredged channel between Buoys 7 to 15 is subject to continual change. Local knowledge is advised when transiting the area. On the southeast side of the river about 2 miles above the entrance, a seafood plant has diesel fuel, water, ice, and marine supplies. State Route 171 highway bridge about 3.1 miles above the entrance has a fixed span with a clearance of 10 feet. An overhead power cable close eastward of the bridge has a clearance of 46 feet. Folly Creek enters Folly River from the north about 2.7 miles above the mouth. State Route 171 highway bridge about 2.9 miles above the creek mouth has a fixed span with a clearance of 10 feet. An overhead power cable at the bridge has a clearance of 40 feet and another overhead power cable 0.4 mile above the bridge has a clearance of 48 feet.
Old 30-11-2013, 22:56   #1011

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Unfortunately I think the last two posts were to late to help scoobert. I hope he has made it to safe harbor as he hasn't posted for some time.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02   #1012
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i hurt my back very badly, and went to bed early. we should be to cape fear in a few hours. the tide will carry us out, i hope this is not a bad thing.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36   #1013

Boat: Catalina 30

Aleve does wonders for the pain but rest is helps a lot also.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53   #1014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
i hurt my back very badly, and went to bed early. we should be to cape fear in a few hours. the tide will carry us out, i hope this is not a bad thing.
How did this happen?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59   #1015

Quote:
It's a very bad thing if you're not sure you can function properly. It's a long way to the next decent inlet.

Your call, but it's not too late to take a right at Southport.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02   #1016
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
How did this happen?
I was lifting 4D's like AAA's then my back said, oh no you dont.
I find the effects of aging comical.
I will be fine in the 4' seas.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02   #1017

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
It's a very bad thing if you're not sure you can function properly. It's a long way to the next decent inlet.

Your call, but it's not too late to take a right at Southport.
If you turn towards Southport remember red is on your right again! Have seen more than one boat run aground there because they forgot.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05   #1018
cruiser

We will be in the ocean in 2 hours.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09   #1019

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
I was lifting 4D's like AAA's then my back said, oh no you dont. I find the effects of aging comical. I will be fine in the 4' seas.
We're roughly the same age.........I think I said that was a bad idea from the start.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14   #1020
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We're roughly the same age.........I think I said that was a bad idea from the start.
Meh, pain reminds us we are alive.
If i didnt lift them at arms lenght, it would have been ok
Closed Thread