Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 02:35   #811
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Perhaps now you understand that being off-shore this time of year is not for new beginners.

You should consider how you would have coped if you had been several hundred miles off-shore
Storm jib?
Old 27-11-2013, 02:40   #812

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Storm jib?
possibly scoob.

a storm jib would be one option. there are others, all depending on wind direction etc. Although if it was a true tornado, I sure as sh*t wouldn't want to be anywhere near it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 27-11-2013, 04:13   #813

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Quote:
I read this thread solely for the amusement i get from the cockiness of his responses to brothers advice/warnings.
Old 27-11-2013, 04:23   #814

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Actually I find this a great thread because many new boaters can learn a great deal from reading it.
So many people with no sailing experience come to this forum with very romantic dreams of sailing as a lifestyle. They visualize all the clear blue waters and lovely breezes of the tropics. They think it is all adventure and fun.
The reality is that there are all sorts of experiences, like weather and waves, groundings, mishaps, breakdowns, sea sickness, anchors dragging, more costly than anticipated, scary situations etc.
if this thread opens people's eyes, and makes them better aware of many of the realities that need to be considered.....it is a very good thing indeed!
I would title it.....the making of a sailor!
Old 27-11-2013, 04:24   #815
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
The Train Wreck Thread

a tornado would have cleared the deck. I'd also challenge the accuracy of your 45 deg heel claim as you no doubt would have sustained major topside damage like bent stanchions, etc from hitting the dock and pilings.

But have fun
Old 27-11-2013, 04:29   #816

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: The Train Wreck Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
a tornado would have cleared the deck. I'd also challenge the accuracy of your 45 deg heel claim as you no doubt would have sustained major topside damage like bent stanchions, etc from hitting the dock and pilings.

But have fun
Sure would have cleared the decks. Not to mention possible capsize.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 27-11-2013, 04:48   #817

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Actually I find this a great thread because many new boaters can learn a great deal from reading it. So many people with no sailing experience come to this forum with very romantic dreams of sailing as a lifestyle. They visualize all the clear blue waters and lovely breezes of the tropics. They think it is all adventure and fun. The reality is that there are all sorts of experiences, like weather and waves, groundings, mishaps, breakdowns, sea sickness, anchors dragging, more costly than anticipated, scary situations etc. if this thread opens people's eyes, and makes them better aware of many of the realities that need to be considered.....it is a very good thing indeed! I would title it.....the making of a sailor!
+1
I totally agree on this coment
At the beginning I frankly thought that this was totally stupid
I.ve been censored by the moderators 3 times for being too harsh in my comments
But now , when Scoobert is in it up to his shoulder I'm enjoying the way he is reacting to the situations
Old 27-11-2013, 04:58   #818
cruiser

Re: The Train Wreck Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Sure would have cleared the decks. Not to mention possible capsize.
Looks like it landed 2 miles from me. How can i check observed windspeeds here?
And it was 35, not 45. Did i say 45?
Old 27-11-2013, 05:04   #819
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Actually I find this a great thread because many new boaters can learn a great deal from reading it.
So many people with no sailing experience come to this forum with very romantic dreams of sailing as a lifestyle. They visualize all the clear blue waters and lovely breezes of the tropics. They think it is all adventure and fun.
The reality is that there are all sorts of experiences, like weather and waves, groundings, mishaps, breakdowns, sea sickness, anchors dragging, more costly than anticipated, scary situations etc.
if this thread opens people's eyes, and makes them better aware of many of the realities that need to be considered.....it is a very good thing indeed!
I would title it.....the making of a sailor!
i would title it, Scooby's awesome adventure.
Can't wait for the white beaches part!
So far we saw white snow!

Groundings count: 4
Old 27-11-2013, 05:10   #820

Boat: OPB
You said 35.
Old 27-11-2013, 05:11   #821

Quote:

i would title it, Scooby's awesome adventure.
Can't wait for the white beaches part!
So far we saw white snow!

Groundings count: 4
How about "Scooby, through the looking glass" or "The unprepared go into the unknown", or "Sailing by the seat of your pants, the saga continues"'

For fun, lets all give our input into what we would rename this thread.
Old 27-11-2013, 05:22   #822

This is an adventure from the eyes of a new sailor. The good, the bad and the ugly. I enjoy the back and forth from the posters as well as the tremendous amount of support, help and advice offered by the members of this forum.

Cheers and thank you!!
John
Old 27-11-2013, 05:56   #823

Yes, i must say i thought it was a hoax for awhile at the beginning. i thought "no way would somebody seemingly so unprepared attempt such a journey, putting others at risk." I was surprised when i finally believed that it was for real. it is very enjoyable thread, and to Scoob - I apologize for not believing you. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 27-11-2013, 07:08   #824
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Scoob,
Out of curiosity, how much fuel have you burned so far on this trip? Not counting eating as that is well, I think purely a variable, what have your costs been, approx?
BTW, I'm a pure wannabe myself, only have a CC dive/fishing boat myself sofar, but watching your adventure out of curiosity.
Old 27-11-2013, 07:19   #825

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran

I think people are confusing 45 knot winds with 35 degrees of heel. Although that was probably a wave that made the boat heel, not the wind on bare masts.

Nice shake down cruise, I'm sure he is gaining a lot of first hand knowledge he'll keep forever. Well, he got to ride his first storm tied to a dock. Different matter when out at sea. This is not exactly a perfect vacation nor an easy ride. He made the right decisions and got to see the strength of wind and water.

When dreams meet with reality all kinds of things can go wrong, especially when handicapped with a winter season. Hopefully he will continue to push the envelop. He will manage his boat in 10 knot winds with 3 ft waves, Next time, 20 knot winds in 4 ft waves and so on.

His friends are already in the Caribbean, they definitely must have more experience. It's not always the boat, it is the man at the helm that makes all the decisions for the boat, himself and crew. It's a lot of responsibility, lives are at stake.

Practice, practice, practice.

-- Escale

I'd call this thread 'Touring for Fine Greasy Spoons Along ICW in November.'
Closed Thread