Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 11:08   #796
Marine Service Provider

Great. We will stop by and say hi.
Old 26-11-2013, 11:12   #797

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Man Scoob, after reading your posts on the older thread, you sure do seem to have some interesting views on society. I am sure you saw the movie "Waterworld" with whats-his-face. After reading your old posts, that movie certainly comes to mind. Guy in the middle of the ocean never going back to land again.
Old 26-11-2013, 11:47   #798

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
Man Scoob, after reading your posts on the older thread, you sure do seem to have some interesting views on society. I am sure you saw the movie "Waterworld" with whats-his-face. After reading your old posts, that movie certainly comes to mind. Guy in the middle of the ocean never going back to land again.
Yes, yes... But do you have a list of good restaurants there?...
Old 26-11-2013, 11:51   #799
Marine Service Provider

And if you need fuel to head south you might want to get it today. A wind advisory goes into effect at 7pm tonight and will last until 5pm tomorrow. Gulf Dock is open until 5 tonight and will be closed on Thursday.

Winds will blow out of the south at 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. The advisory will run through 11am Wednesday for Mainland Hyde and Dare Counties, while lasting until 5pm Wednesday for Carteret County,
Old 26-11-2013, 12:47   #800
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

scoob, if you go to a real steakhouse, even in Albany, you can't buy prime rib or rib steak (which always comes with the rib bone, it is just one slice of the "prime rib" rack) for $32 a pound. You'll pay double or triple that for prime beef.

I don't know what a shell steak is besides "mystery meat", it doesn't appear on any of the few "how to butcher a cow" charts I've seen. And in New York City, you'll never find a "New York (whatever) Steak" except maybe at the tourist traps. Kinda like French Fries--they don't have them in France.

But I wouldn't expect prime rib, or prime meat, from a marina. Maybe in Newport (RI or CA) but not dockside, no. Shame about the chicken and glasses, that's just called slovenly and lazy. Watch Fox next month, maybe they'll be on the Restaurant Makeovers shows.

I'd rather eat franchise beef than no beef, but sometimes a Snickers Bar is the best thing on the menu.

Anyone know if Arthur's in Hoboken (NJ) is still around? That used to be a good cheap steakhouse.
Old 26-11-2013, 12:57   #801
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
You don't expect good steak on the coast anymore than you should expect good sea food in Montana
Old 26-11-2013, 13:15   #802

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Anyone know if Arthur's in Hoboken (NJ) is still around? That used to be a good cheap steakhouse.
Yep, it's still in business, though I haven't been there in a while. Do they still serve those (delicious) pickled green tomatoes?
Old 26-11-2013, 16:49   #803

Boat: 1977 O'Day 32

We left NYC just after Sandy and we made several stops (3 days or more). We were in fernandina Beach on Dec. 31st. Here are two articles about our adventure: NYC to Hampton,VA and Norfolk, VA to Miami, FL.
Hope it helps!
Old 26-11-2013, 18:10   #804

Boat: Beneteau 50

Scoobert,

Some of us are watching your progress and rooting for you!

Be safe and congratuations on your progress.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
Old 26-11-2013, 19:25   #805

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance

Hi Scoob, Your Canadian friends here from Black Diamond! Just found your thread on the Forum.

We made Non-Stop from NYC to Georgetown Exumas Bahamas, 1,200 miles in 6 1/2 days non-stop offshore. Many 200 mile days and one 250 mile day.

Glad you decided to stay in shore before the cape. Glad your free of the wrapped prop, and your all safe and sound.

Our average speed was about 9 knots, many sustained speeds of 10-11 knots, and our top surfing on this trip was 15.5 knots. Our boat has hit 19.5 knots surf before.

I was running SPOT tracking on my blog, had not updated the blog yet, but will in the next coming weeks...

We were anchored out, enjoying the sun, 90 degree weather and warm water for the last 5 days. The boat is now on a mooring ball in a hurricane hole, and flying home tomorrow. mission accomplished.

Will fly back Dec 15th for 3 weeks, Christmas and New years...

We'll do a few regattas and cruise the Exumas..

The boat will also be available for skippered charters. Anyone mention Scoob and they'll get a big fat discount!

Here is a pic of Black Diamond anchored just 30 feet of Chat & Chill Beach in the Exumas Bahamas.

Blogging aboard Black Diamond! » Sailing logs of Black Diamond, a Jeanneau Sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD Chat & Chill.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	71114  
Old 26-11-2013, 19:39   #806

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

I don't know what a shell steak is besides "mystery meat", it doesn't appear on any of the few "how to butcher a cow" charts I've seen. And in New York City, you'll never find a "New York (whatever) Steak" except maybe at the tourist traps. Kinda like French Fries--they don't have them in France.

Excellent point about any food with New York in the name. If it is there, it certainly has nothing to do with New York. One time at Disney in Florida we saw a sign that said "new York hot dogs". I thought "great, I could use a good hot dog now, this Florida food is getting me sick". Needless to say, they were liars. The hot dog was thicker than a silver dollar, and tasted like disgusting boiled boloney. I eat several hot dogs a week on many different corners of NYC from carts manned by various ethnic groups. None are thicker than a nickel, even from Nathan's. I learned my lesson about anything that calls itself New York anything. It ain't. Stop trying to copy the real thing. It can't be done.
Old 27-11-2013, 02:19   #807
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Glad you made it ed, more glad i didnt go with yoi.
Sounded crazy!
Old 27-11-2013, 02:25   #808
cruiser

I went thru a tornado last night.
Or something like it. I have been in a 45 knot gust before...
Last night we went to 35+ degree heal, at the dock. No idea what the wind speed was, but 45 knots puts us at a 10 degree heal...
Old 27-11-2013, 02:27   #809
cruiser

Possible Tornado Damages Hospital, Community College In Morehead City
Old 27-11-2013, 02:32   #810

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I went thru a tornado last night.
Or something like it. I have been in a 45 knot gust before...
Last night we went to 35+ degree heal, at the dock. No idea what the wind speed was, but 45 knots puts us at a 10 degree heal...
Perhaps now you understand that being off-shore this time of year is not for new beginners.

You should consider how you would have coped if you had been several hundred miles off-shore

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Closed Thread