Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:03   #31

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i was on the river, i did 8 up and 10 back. so i averaged them.
wind was naught. this was at full throttle.
What was the current? That makes a difference. We regularly use the tide on rivers to gain significant speed but that doesn't mean that we are always traveling at over 10 knots.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04   #32
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Scoobert - you're getting some good advice here. Please pay attention to it.

Do not, under any circumstances, take Hatteras (or any of the capes) along this route for granted; especially at this time of year and with green crew.

You may think that after getting bruised and tired and sick you can just pull in and drop the hook, but it is never as simple as that.

You are obviously an experienced pilot and have some appreciation for weather - but the experience in a boat offshore is NOTHING like the controlled environment of a cockpit or cabin while flying. making 3 knots or less in steep seas when you're cold and sick and bruised can make the remaining 30-40 miles to safe harbour an eternity. And once you're there, there's nothing you can do about it, but get thru - or get pulled off by a chopper. Every fall there are dozens of rescues resulting from this sort of thing - and several fatalities.

Lots of people make it, lots have a great time - but it would be foolhardy to push out into what are known to be extremely punishing waters with a green crew in the fall. Take your time, learn the boat, learn the weather, learn your wife's and your abilities. Sure - at good places along the ICW, poke outside and do a day or two's run outside- but pick your weather carefully and don't underestimate the misery that pounding into a steep sea off those headlands can bring.

best of luck-

your quite right, i am getting enough warning that i can plan well for it at least.
i am sure i will have some pills for the wife. she has been in rough seas before.
we took my tiny powerboat to NYC last year. she got very bruised at we slammed into whitecap waves at 40mph, outdrive leaving the water, spray everywhere.
she is a trooper, besides having more bruises from her then the boat ride, she was fine.

do you really think we will take hard hits in a 48' 15ton yacht?
at least i can't sink it. unless i do something very very dumb, like run with the hatches open :P
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
What was the current? That makes a difference. We regularly use the tide on rivers to gain significant speed but that doesn't mean that we are always traveling at over 10 knots.
no idea. typically up here on the upper hudson we rarely see over 1kt.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09   #34

You might want to wander around The Great Loop website and activecaptain, which also has charts of the areas and check the depths.

Your concept appears to be very dangerous, especially given your basic question: How long will it take me? C'mon, if you're a pilot, D = S * T, but in a boat it's a lot different.

Your draft will be a REAL issue on the ICW. I live on the west coast but have read enough on this and other forums and blogs about that trip.

You need to do a LOT more research. A 16 hour watch for you and then "get HER up?" Thagt's simply foolhardy and crazy. And dangerous.

Anyway...good luck, you'll need it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:13   #35
cruiser

yes, i have been on the great loop website. its pretty sparse on the ICW from FL to NY.
i did learn on that site i cannot complete a loop on my boat, due to draft.
kind of a bummer.
i think the ICW has a channel of very deep draft? i thought it was used by huge ships?
i will have to reread the part about the canal down south thou. not sure if i can make that area.
regardless, i will sail as much as i can comfortably and safely.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
your quite right, i am getting enough warning that i can plan well for it at least.
i am sure i will have some pills for the wife. she has been in rough seas before.
we took my tiny powerboat to NYC last year. she got very bruised at we slammed into whitecap waves at 40mph, outdrive leaving the water, spray everywhere.
she is a trooper, besides having more bruises from her then the boat ride, she was fine.

at least i can't sink it. unless i do something very very dumb, like run with the hatches open :P
Well that says a lot about your attitude... and your consideration for your crew..
As to hard hits in a 48ftr... your Green is verging fluorescent...
Playing in sheltered waters is a whole different ball game to open waters... and for me that includes the sheltered Chesapeake... figure on an average of 100nm/day for this trip... tho' if I was doing it I'd run across to the N wall of the Stream then shimmy across and head S... east of the stream and picking up the counter currents curving S... and stay well clear of those Capes... the shallows go out a long ways and the sea's can be lethal if your caught out... don't think you'll enjoy the 30ft+ breaking waves... and they'll have to be hand steered... AP's can't steer safely into that stuff and you will be rolled..
Have sailed Cape Fear and Hatteras solo... did not enjoy it one bit...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
i think the ICW has a channel of very deep draft? i thought it was used by huge ships?
i will have to reread the part about the canal down south thou. not sure if i can make that area.
regardless, i will sail as much as i can comfortably and safely.
Look at the free NOAA charts of the ditch........not meant for ships. You also should look at the pilot charts for the proposed time of year, along with the current forcast models on passageweather.com.
And if you do decide to pull this stunt off, learn to use your VHF.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Sail outside. The ICW will teach you nothing.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18   #39

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

The captain we had bring our boat up to NY has crew pay him to go with him for their hours for captain's license. There was one guy who was a powerboater who went with him. The captain told us that as soon as the boat tied to the dock, the guy grabbed his duffle and left, swearing to never set foot on a sailboat again. I'm sure the storm off the Carolinas didn't help him but I think he was just ignorant of what that kind of passage can bring. Honestly, I wonder if the OP isn't of similar mind.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52   #40

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

You might think going outside all the way is a bigger adventure, but after 10 minutes out of sight of land you have seen everything, except for the bad stuff...wind, rain, no wind, hot sun, cold dreary rainy days with no wind. At least inside you can throw an anchor, pull into a neat place like Oriental, Coinjock, Beaufort, or Beaufort. By the time you get to the Chesapeake I will bet you wife will not be having as much fun as you think she will.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14   #41

Boat: Seaward 22

Develop an offshore and a inshore plan and be prepared to switch based on weather and crew.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:37   #42

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

at least i can't sink it. unless i do something very very dumb, like run with the hatches open :P[/QUOTE]

Did you follow any of the bounty experience last year? She was a lot bigger than your boat. granted, they sailed into the face of a bad storm, but at no time were they actually in extreme weather. they got what you'd expect off of hatteras in a good blow. Large ships (many thousands of tons) avoid this area in bad weather.

A 48' 15 ton yacht is a pipsqueak in the face of even a 10' breaking wave, let alone a 15 or 20 or 25' wave, all of which are quite common in less-than-extreme weather in those areas.

Do I really think you will take hard hits? If you get off any one of those capes - even far off them - in anything more than 20 knots - then Hell yeah, you're going to take some hard hits. a lot of them.

It's rarely the boat that gives up first - it's almost always the crew who get injured, scared, exhausted or otherwise done with the scene and call the coasties in, at great risk to all. Don't do it until you've got more experience, more experienced crew, and a rational plan. period.

Is this how you plan your flights?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Transit time? NY-Fl

Pills? better start taking them 3 days before you leave or they are worthless. hard knocks in a 15 ton sailboat?
ROTFLMFAO

on a trip like that, I and all my crew would be tethered 100% of the time. you can end not evenbeing able to make coffee.

oh - you can sink the boat - even without leaving the hatches open. just wait for a 360 or two.

your idea is really silly. hell, I wouldn't go on a trip like that. I know what I am doing and would certainly survive, but I have no interest in being that uncomfortable for so long.

NY to Miami is what? 1500-2000nm? at 3-3.5 knots, thats 600 hours or something like 25 days? got enough water for that? food? think you (and wife) can survive on 1 hour of sleep at a time for weeks?

Both my wife and I are pretty fit and we were beat after that 27 hour run. just run down and we were beginning to make silly mistakes just due to fatigue and cold. our attention spans had diminished.

Quote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-09-2013, 10:06   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Ok

I've re-read all the posts... Don't go.

Period.

You can take the ditch if you watch your depths and tides and take the odd jump outside weather permitting

I wouldn't do the trip you're planning in my boat (45 ton 60' ketch) and I have 40 years of experience.

Just don't do it!

SB
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34   #45

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
well we have a racing boat, so during my watch (16 hours) we will be in top form, but before the wifes watch i will switch to the 64% genoa and throw in a reef. then if she gets into trouble, it takes a while.
Do you really plan on changing out your foresail every watch, that would get old pretty quick.

It may be wise to take the wife outside on a few short jaunts and get her familiar with handling the boat before the trip.

You have taken her outside before? My tub is a lot smaller and not as sea kindly as yours and I was surprised how quickly my wife (who is a trooper most of the time) got unwell once we were outside and rolling about.

Best of luck,
Closed Thread