Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 18:13   #16

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i should mention a 6.5 draft, no okeechoobie for me!
Ours is a Catalina 42 with a fin keel. 6'8". It was all offshore from Lauderdale to Long Island Sound.
Old 09-09-2013, 18:17   #17
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

my wife has no idea how to sail. none. scarry.
but less scarey then waking up to a 35 degree heal and a wife screaming " we are going to flip!!!!!"

more safe to have her just keep an eye out for boats, and will teach her how to adjust the autopilot to keep the right position to the wind. more safe then going below to sleep with noone on watch .
Old 09-09-2013, 18:18   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
We plan to go into the ocean, not down the ditch. how many hours of travel time should we budget for?
the end port will be tampa. beginning, albany.
i have heard there is some place in the Carolinas that you should take the ICW because the ocean in that area is crazy, where is that?
Come on man, do your own research. You're supposed to be in charge?
How far is it, how fast are you going to go, do the math, that's the time required.

Doing your own research may lead you to the conclusion that a south bound trip against the gulf stream will be a lot slower than a north bound trip with the gulf stream.

You might want to research Cape Hatteras, aka the graveyard of the Atlantic.

You may want to consider a professional captain for this trip.
Old 09-09-2013, 19:26   #19

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

what FSMike said. exactly.

November, southbound, offshore, green (very) green crew? just the two of you it sounds like.

BAD idea.

If you must go then, with only your wife as crew, then ICW it, if you can.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

To give you an idea of what having the wind on your nose means when ocean sailing.

Last weekend we sailed with the wind dead head on. the trip measured out (on the chart) at 121 nm. The log, after 27 1/2 hours of sailing measured 164nm. So roughly 1/3 greater distance travel than the rump line.

Speed on course sailed (164/27.5) equalled 5.96 knots. Speed made towards destination (121/27.5) equalled 4.4 knots.

Now go plug in the distance down the US coast and you'll see what speed you'll average. Don't forget to figure in the current which will run against you.

My bet - you'll (maybe) average 3 - 3.5 knots (nm) distance gained.

By the way - we sailed in 24-28 knot winds, no current and the boat is a 40 foot performance cruiser.

On the other hand, coming back a couple of days later, we had the wind at our backs, made the reverse run in just under 18 hours, 132 nm showing on the log (average speed - 7.33 knots, speed made good - 6.72 knots) The winds coming back were gale force > 32 knots. Highest gusts I saw were running 44 knots, but I think some were higher. I was hand steering, because the autopilot couldn't handle the boat in that weather.

Going out was hard work, coming back was a sleigh ride. Hand steering was tough - after a couple of hours you were plumb out beat.

Doing your proposed trip i November? Pack lots of very warm clothes - you'll need them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55   #21
cruiser

yes, i have fought the wind before, and in a tight channel. its not fun.
so the prevailing wind that time of year is northerly?
the current as well?
6NMPG is what we get under power, so the ICW is a very easy option, but i truely want to sail it, not motor. i sailed into a 15kt wind in long island sound at 7kts, i think this boat to windward is very good. now that i understand sailtrim (textbook version of understand) i should be able to get a ton of speed out of it. not sure what my hull speed is, but with the engine going full tilt i can hit 9 gps mph.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:15   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
yes, i have fought the wind before, and in a tight channel. its not fun.
so the prevailing wind that time of year is northerly?
the current as well?
6NMPG is what we get under power, so the ICW is a very easy option, but i truely want to sail it, not motor. i sailed into a 15kt wind in long island sound at 7kts, i think this boat to windward is very good. now that i understand sailtrim (textbook version of understand) i should be able to get a ton of speed out of it. not sure what my hull speed is, but with the engine going full tilt i can hit 9 gps mph.
Theoritical hull speed for a boat your length (assuming your waterline length is the same as your overall length - which it ain't) is 9.48 knots. Say your waterline is about 43ft then hull speed will be 8.8 knots.
You will not average 8.8 knots.

Our theoretical hull speed is 8.2 knots. Sailing in Gale force conditions, with the wind at our backs, we averaged 7.33 knots through the water, something like 12-15% below hull speed. Admittedly we were only flying our genua, but in those conditions, any more canvas would have been imprudent.

You will not do any better. Almost certainly worse.

Against the wind, with the current against you, you will not average much more than 3-3.5 nm actual ground gained. No matter how good you are. you may average less. You have no idea what beating against the wind and current for several days means. No sleep, lots of bruises, cold, hungry and quite possibly seasick. Unless you have a self-tacking rig, you'll both have to be awake every time you tack - so you'll not get more than an hours sleep at a time.

It will be a long, nasty ride and not one that I would undertake as a newbie (which you are) and a totally green crew. you are asking for disaster. If nothing else, you will end up driving your wife away from sailing - she will never go with you again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You are going to learn a lot on this trip.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27   #24
cruiser

I guess the nice part is on this trip,
We can always say pffft and head into the icw.
If we get sick, tired, bruised, then we head in, i drop our
Very well planned ground tackle, and we sleep it off.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42   #25

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
i know it will be cold.
i have all the cold weather gear we need.
only cold until Virginia.
Ya, right. It is cold all the way to Florida out in the ocean.

In answer to your question about where you should take the ICW, I would guess that would be from Hospital Point (Norfolk) to Little River (SC). In other words to get you past Hatteras, Frying Pan Shoals and Cape Fear. But if you go far enough outside it doesn't matter.

As for time, you are talking about the distance from Halifax to Ireland, plan for 90 days. And if the wind is from the south, more.

I draw 5.5' and there are places you do not want to go with a 6.5' keel. McCullenville, SC, Most of GA. You will really have to watch the tides.

Might I suggest, outside to either Delaware Bay or Norfolk, inside to South Port, then outside to Fernandina. There are places along the way to stop in, Charleston, Brunswick. If you want to see some really middle of noplace places, go in St. Catherine's Inlet and head north on the ICW about 10 miles to Big Tom Creek. After Fernandina inside or outside is your choice.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50   #26

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
but with the engine going full tilt i can hit 9 gps mph.
9 GPS is your speed over the ground, how fast of a current did you have with you? To know how you're doing you need speed over the water. In the Cape Fear river I did 10.5 knts over the ground, but my boat was only going 4.5 over the water.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
9 GPS is your speed over the ground, how fast of a current did you have with you? To know how you're doing you need speed over the water. In the Cape Fear river I did 10.5 knts over the ground, but my boat was only going 4.5 over the water.

i was on the river, i did 8 up and 10 back. so i averaged them.
wind was naught. this was at full throttle.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Methinks ScoobiDoo is gonna learn some serious lessons out there...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 10-09-2013, 06:58   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Methinks ScoobiDoo is gonna learn some serious lessons out there...

thats not how you spell scooby, but either way i know i will be more educated when i get back to NY next spring.
during our stay in FL we will be taking off for a month to aruba, so all said and done i should be doing 6000 miles this winter.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59   #30

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Scoobert - you're getting some good advice here. Please pay attention to it.

Do not, under any circumstances, take Hatteras (or any of the capes) along this route for granted; especially at this time of year and with green crew.

You may think that after getting bruised and tired and sick you can just pull in and drop the hook, but it is never as simple as that.

You are obviously an experienced pilot and have some appreciation for weather - but the experience in a boat offshore is NOTHING like the controlled environment of a cockpit or cabin while flying. making 3 knots or less in steep seas when you're cold and sick and bruised can make the remaining 30-40 miles to safe harbour an eternity. And once you're there, there's nothing you can do about it, but get thru - or get pulled off by a chopper. Every fall there are dozens of rescues resulting from this sort of thing - and several fatalities.

Lots of people make it, lots have a great time - but it would be foolhardy to push out into what are known to be extremely punishing waters with a green crew in the fall. Take your time, learn the boat, learn the weather, learn your wife's and your abilities. Sure - at good places along the ICW, poke outside and do a day or two's run outside- but pick your weather carefully and don't underestimate the misery that pounding into a steep sea off those headlands can bring.

best of luck-
Closed Thread